“Great experience”
Review of Oncle Ho

Oncle Ho
Ranked #48 of 252 Restaurants in Noumea
Reviewed 18 August 2018

My partner and I enjoyed very much the first lunch at Oncle Ho that had to go back for dinner a couple of days later!

Reviewed 18 July 2018

We ate at Oncle Ho for lunch in July 2018.

Dropping in on a busy day for a quick bowl of noodles should be very straightforward, but it was not the case at Oncle Ho's. Service was poor, our lunch took an hour to be served (for noodles and salad!), a dish was forgotten and the meat in the Pho was served nearly raw. Not enticingly rare, please note, but stomach-crampy-that-night level raw. Pork dumplings in another dish were similarly 'pink'.

To be fair, the meals that we did receive and that weren't a food poisoning risk were fairly good. The restaurant was good about taking the returned dishes off the bill.

Long story short, though - this place really didn't work.

Reviewed 16 May 2018 via mobile

A group of 10 of us dined here late at night - about 9/10 at night and even though we were later than originally planned, we were seated and started the journey of deciding what to have. Luckily we had some French guys with us and we were advised on the best options, having never been here I chose the Beef Boh I think it was called. I also chose the fried wontons. The wontons was a generous portion of 8 pieces and some sweet and sour sauce was provided too. Apart from being extra crunchy they were pretty good. The Boh came out and holy cow, it was a massive dish that took some beating but thankfully it was pretty good too. The waiting times for ordering were a little long and the overall cost was excessive but unfortunately this is common in New Caledonia. I paid about $70 NZD for 2 x beers (small glass) and the wontons/Beef Boh, not cheap at all.

Reviewed 14 May 2018

Good food and friendly staff! Ordered their fresh spring rolls and my husband one of their many Pho options. We were both super happy with our dishes!

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

I am sorry, and I usually find something positive to say in a review but this restaurant is very disappointing. I had a chicken curry, the chicken was obviously thigh (which can be ok), but had absolutely no flavour.
In contrast I recently had one of the best curries I have ever had on a French cruise ship (L’Austral - Ponant) so don’t tell me the French don’t know how to cook curries.
My friends were also very disappointed with their meals so I could definitely not recommend this restaurant which is a shame as it is in a good position and has a certain ambience.