Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 17 June 2015

I have just returned from my second trip to Kiribati and stayed again in the self contained apartment at Tobaraoi. It is a convenient location for the hospital and airport. The accommodation is very impressive, with clean linen, good cooking facilities, air-conditioning and Wi-Fi. The staff are lovely and very helpful. The view over the lagoon is stunning. Below, the Chaterbox café makes lovely toasted sandwiches and coffee. With a late flight out we ahrer able to have a late check out and stayed cool in the comfort of our apartment. Thanks guys again. See you next time

Date of stay: June 2015
1  Thank nadine142015
Reviewed 29 January 2015

I am very concerned with my dealings with Tobaraoi Apartment.
I used their travel agency experience and took one of their tours (all which were quite expensive).
After staying in the west of south Tarawa I booked in to stay for three nights before flying out and the price - $A175 - was clearly confirm including that all taxes were included.
Had an unexpected and strange call at 8am on the day we were due to leave our other accommodation; last comment was to reconfirm that we were still coming. Unbeknown to us the incoming and consequently outgoing flight from Fiji was cancelled (Tobaraoi are Fiji agents so would have knowledge of this at 8am) which is good business practice as there were clearly going to be passengers seeking short notice accommodation.
At 10am we got a further call – “sorry we got the price wrong it is $196”. We were later to learn that that at this exact time two stranded passengers due to fly out were looking for accommodation.
Whilst I am not generally a conspiracy theorist, I find the exact timing difficult to think that this was not coincidental and is not good business practice when one has a confirmed price.
Other reviewers have noted that at $A175 the accommodation is expensive especially by Asian and Pacific standards; in Fiji one could expect similar accommodation for under $A100 and in Asia for $A60. Also note that while there is a café below on the same premise, it is not open for breakfasts nor evening meal so self-catering is essential. The closest restaurant is the Otintaai Hotel over 1km away (mixed revues) and the closest supermarket is over 2km (check tourist map); we had our own transport so this wasn’t a big issue.

Date of stay: January 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jeff55555
Reviewed 2 August 2014

The Tobaraoi has a great staff & resources and they are able to assist with just about anything in Tarawa and in the entire Republic of Kiribati. The location was practical for my travel to North Tarawa, the airport and the outer islands. The rooms are very basic and very clean and quiet at night. I did see some other places while I was in Tarawa, but if I can ever go back, I'll stay at the Tobaraoi. Each and every one of the staff was polite and helpful at all times. Thanks Tobaraoi!

Date of stay: July 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I first visited Tarawa and came across Tobaraoi just over a year ago and I was really impressed then. it is great to be back and to see the business even better and the team even more together. What a great bunch of people. I am staying in a small room with a wonderful view, air conditioning, internet and shared bathroom - very comfortable and clean. Great to have no TV! Tarawa is definitely getting busier and Tobaraoi is still the leader. The attached café, coffee and food are all good. I look forward to my next visit.

Room tip: You can pay more for a larger room but why bother? Save money and still be comfortable.
Date of stay: May 2014
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Stayed for a week on businesss, in the 'garden' apartment. It's not really in a garden, it just doesn't overlook the lagoon like the 'lagoon' apartment. It overlooks the road. On the plus, the apartment was very clean and tastefully decorated. My Kiribati counterpart was also very impressed by the way it looked. I slept really well - but without airconditioning it would have been a nightmare. I cooked my own food, but no matches were provided and I couldn't get the stove working, so I just microwaved everything. The proprietor was very nice, and I know the staff would have sorted out the stove, but I was happy enough without it. The biggest disappointment was the lack of hot water - at AUD175 a night, you expect a hot shower. And what was a bit annoying was that the proprietor knew this, but didn't advise or apologise. A big plus was the internet included in the price. If you haven't been to Tarawa before this is probably a safe option, but I will be trying out somewhere else next time.

Date of stay: February 2014