“I do not recommend booking Kokoda with INTREPID”
Review of Kokoda Track

Kokoda Track
Book In Advance
More Info
USD 200.00*
and up
Private tour: Full day Port Moresby and Sogeri...
Reviewed 29 August 2018

Trek is an amazing experience but not with Intrepid. I was doing it in July.
Organization of the trip was terrible but price really high (2600 -2800 pounds).
Our guide .....oh it was impossible to understand him. First I thought - it's because of my English ( it's not my first language ) but soon I realized - nobody can't understand him. So from my point of you - the historical part didn't exist! I am not Australian i just had a tiny knowledge about the battle. Hoped I will learn more during the trip - unfortunately...nothing! Need to read about it at home.
Another thing: it's a challenging trek. You ( or maybe just me) expect that at the end of the day person who look after the group will ask: are you ok? how are you feeling/doing?
Nothing.Two guys were ill during the trip. The only thing they did - stopped trek when they were throwing out. People from the group cared after each other - sharing first kit, happy to help each other
Food - disaster. For breakfast salty crackers with jam of honey, corn flakes with powder milk.....every day. Never ate it). Dinner and lunch - boiled pasta/ noodles/ spaghetti plus breakfast set. 18 meals - PASTA. Sorry...twice we had rice. No fruits - if you want to, need to get for yourself. Didn't expect amazing meals, understand that you can't get products on the way....but other groups had really great food - so if you want to, you can organise it much better than ours.
My porter was really bad too. Here I need to admit that I was unlucky because it was just few like him! He rarely was behind me - didn't have any help/security. When he was on his place .... I don't know who saved more other bottom. He landed on my back quite few times!
Also when he finally arrived on place where we were staying ( people from the group were enjoying water, I was waiting for my porter) , very often was leaving my backpack somewhere....I had to find it.
Finally .... I had a feeling that they just going with us, we weren't a group 9 I mean a crew and people from the group). The didn't stay with us after walking, didn't' talk to us etc.
Anyway: I think that the trek is great and Kokoda can be an amazing experience.....but think twice before you'll book it with Intrepid.

Date of experience: July 2018
in 14 reviews
"physical challenge"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed 27 August 2018

I had a great time walking the Kokoda Track with Escape Trekking Adventures. It was all I wanted it to be. First the assistance from Tina in answering all my questions. Then on the track with Shane's knowledge and passion, friendly porters and great food. An experience that I will always cherish

3  Thank Glenn B
Reviewed 27 August 2018

An amazing and rewarding experience. I would recommend to all Australians who are in search of adventure and or war history.It was a grueling hot and humid nine days of endurance interlaced with numerous historical stories on the conditions endured and actions of the brave men of the Australian forces operating in PNG at the time, as told by our competent and engaging trek leaders..Our guides/carriers were well trained and it was good to see that management cared greatly for their well being.You need a certain level of fitness that is well documented on the website and that advice should be followed to the letter, in order to get the most from your adventure.The shared stories of the courageous actions of the soldiers, the war memorials and the dawn service at Isurava, conducted by the group will be an everlasting memory for me.

Reviewed 27 August 2018

Could not speak highly enough of the whole experience. Trek guides were terrific and extremely knowledgeable. Would recommend it to those who are fit or are prepared to get fit. (You must have good knees though!)