“did it on a budget, about $1000”
Review of Kokoda Track

Kokoda Track
Reviewed 11 January 2014

The difficulty of this trail was about average. Its not very scenic so unless you're interested in the history its not worth it, you'd be better off doing the Black Cat track or Mt Wilhelm.

Hiked the trail as cheaply as possible but still with a guide in June 2013. I didn't contact any trekking agencies until I was in Port Moresby and went to the Kokoda Track Authority directly, they looked at me like I was crazy and gave me the number for an agency. Its clear that completely independant trekkers are unknown around there. I call a company called Kokoda Icon and talked with its owner, I man named Billy Ivan. We met the next day and spent a long time negotiating the cost of every nitty gritty detail (some were non-negotiable). I agreed to hire a guide from him (his brother). The cost worked out thus (all prices are in PNG Kina, 1 Kina=$.45):
1. guide K80 per day x 7 days k560
2. airfare K250 x 2 pax k500
3. food x 7 days for 2 pax K100
4. trail permit K350
5. village accomodation/6 days k175
6. trasfer to sogeri k100
7. transfer to Popondetta k60

Including tax the total came to K2121 or approximately $945. The trail begins at Owers Corner at ends 96 km later in Kokoda. I spent the night before I started at a lodge in Sogeri which cost k175 for a room but was situated about as close as anything to the starting point. I ended up hiking the entire thing in five days although I could've done it in four easily (I'm not typical). I had to pay the guide per day, the food he ate, his airfare from Popondetta to Port Moresby, and his village accomodation costs. I might've saved some money if I had booked the flight myself, although there is an airstrip in Kokoda its use is problematic due to weather and terrain. It took seven hours on a PMV to get from Kokoda to Popondetta.
My costs would've been cut in half if I didn't have a guide, however I can't recommend it. Its more dangerous on that trail than you might realize, I had a habit of leaving the guide behind and everytime I encountered a villager (always carrying a machette) the first thing they would ask me was, "are you walking alone?"
Much to my chagrin I have to admit the guide was useful, if for nothing else than arranging my lodging and cooking my meals; while hiking he was useless and I would routinely reach the days' stopping point hours before he did. Quite frankly its shocking that I never got lost seeing as the trail was never absolutely obvious at the junctions. The guide did all the cooking although I didn't really hire him for that reason, as far as I was concerned his job was to keep anyone from robbing or killing me (he did admirably).

Overall short of doing it solo (I'm not sure they would even issue a permit for that) I don't feel there's much chance of lower prices than those stated above. But considering that most operators charge about $3000 per person its a bargain.

12  Thank Nathan S

Reviewed 29 December 2013

I have walked this track on 2 occasions, from both directions and they are equally challenging. It was a nine day walk and although each day is relatively hard it is made more difficult by having to back up day after day. We all made it, a fantastic way to experience some of Australia's war time history walking the path of our soldiers and learning the history. Great scenery and a friendship but a challenge and no easier the second time. Do some good training before you go and keep up your fluids.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

I went with Back Track in November 2013. For most people this is a once in a lifetime trek and the people from Back Track made it a memorable experience. Our trek leader had a great passion for the war history as well as the people living on the track today. Everything was well organised and the porters were amazing. Every time you walked into camp your tent was up and nothing was too much trouble for the porters. I had a great time and would recommend Back Track for anyone who is interested in this trek.

4  Thank TrippersAust
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Completed the Kokoda trek with Getaway Trekking. We were a small group of 7 (including the trek leader, Julie). The porters amazing (Buna boys) and the trek itself was challenging and rewarding. Would recommend the company and the trek.

4  Thank Chez-from-Oz
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I was sponsored by my local rsl to take part in the kokoda youth leadership challenge, the experience for me was amazing I had never been overseas before, but travelling with adventure kokoda made the experience so mmuch easier, I knew exactly all my movements, what was happening and where I was going and what we were doing.

Being able to walk the track and contextualise the battles, the landscape the area and just picturing the amount if physical and mental effort that it would have taken to fight there just was unbelievable.
The briefings helped me further my understanding of the campaign and battles, our leader was very informative and useful.

The porters did a very good job and walking with them helped me to understand there culture which made the whole experience so much more meaningful I found that a massive Eye opener.

The service received by adventure kokoda was first class and u guys did and excellent job and where very professional and experienced