“Overall a pretty nice hotel”
Review of Kuwait City

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
A TripAdvisor Member
“Overall a pretty nice hotel”
Reviewed 27 February 2006

This hotel is quite nice all around. The decor of the rooms and the hotel is very nice, and the food is good. The price I paid for my room, which was very nice,was somewhere around $240.00 USD for night, which was pretty good for the quality of the hotel.

There were a couple of downsides in my opinion.
Firstly the beach itself was very nice but the water wasn't great. The water seemed dirty and it didn't make me want to go swimming in the ocean.
Secondly the location is al little far from Kuwait city. It's definitley not within walking distance to anything. The business/shopping area of Fahaheel is fairly close, but you'd need a taxi for sure.

Other than those two points, the rest of the hotel was very nice, the pool and the grounds were well kept.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
“The Palms”
Reviewed 18 February 2006

Excellent service, and wonderful rooms and facilities. I will stay here the next time I am in country.

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
“A disapointment”
Reviewed 18 February 2006

This hotel is a nightmare. Everything was dirty, with no amenities. For example, the previous occupant of my room used the shampoo bottles, it was clear that the staff filled them back up and put them back on the shelf. Absolutely disgusting!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Key West, Florida
16 helpful votes
“Top notch service”
Reviewed 2 January 2006

I spent the summer of 2004 in the area around Kuwait, however about 1x/month we were able to spend a few nights at the JW Marriott in Kuwait City while we were waiting for our vehicles to be repaired. Over the course of 5 months I spent about 20 nights at the JW Marriott. It is a GREAT hotel.

Guests enter into a gorgeous lobby that is connected to one of the the most upscale malls in Kuwait (or the world, for that matter). The gym is pretty good for a hotel gym. I've seen beter (the Peninsula and the Marriot Marquis in NYC, and the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs) Included in the price is an excellent breakfast buffet. I am a big buffet guy, and the JW Marriott's is the BEST I've ever had. Outstanding food.

What pushes this hotel into the 5-star category is the service. Most of the employees are from the Philippines or another poorer nation, and if you treat them with respect and spend some time chatting with them they will make your stay a great one. I get the impression that the wealthy Arabs who usually stay at this hotel pay no attention to the hotel employees so they are very happy when a customer treats them well. They came to know us well, and became almost like second family. They knew what we were doing in that region, and their sympathy added to the professionalism of their service.

The rooms are outstanding: modern, comfortable, clean, with the latest amenities. The bathrooms are very nice, very modern. Marble floors and walls, etc.

There are two very minor dissapointments: the pool and hot tub area are very small and completely indoors. Very little natural light. It is clean and well kept, but small. The second dissapointment is the sun bathing area...again very small and positioned on the wrong side of the building. I stopped by the sunbathing area several times throughout the day and the area was always in the shadows. One major concern, for me anyway, was the lack of competent security. In addition, the building is located very close to the road and appears to me to be an easy target for a car bomb. It wouldn't be the first time a western hotel in a Muslim country was targeted...I always requested my room on the back side of the building (which overlooked what appeared to be an old graveyard.)

I've stayed in some well known hotels (Ritz-Carltons, the Peninsula in NYC, Tokyo Hilton, The Waldorf-Astoria, the Broadmoor, etc) and the JW Marriott in Kuwait City is the best overall hotel I've had the priviledge of being a guest in.

15 Thank U2039HJadamk
Vancouver, Canada
101 helpful votes
“Lovely hotel, avoid the phones”
Reviewed 11 December 2005

Emerging from Customs at the airport, there’s a guy holding up a Sheraton sign. He escorts you outside and the car with uniformed driver appears in two minutes to whisk you downtown. The roads are wide and billiard-table smooth and the traffic is far more likely to kill you than Saddam ever was.

Check-in at the hotel is handled efficiently and in a friendly fashion. A glass of lemon juice magically appears while you check-in.

The hotel is built on a small pad but goes up for 19 floors. The level of amenities and luxury makes any Four Points in North America look quite pathetic. On the driveway up to the front door, the curbstones are polished marble, for goodness sake! I had a corner room on the ninth with a good view out over Kuwait City. If the Four Points is this good, the Sheraton next door must be real luxury.

The room was pleasantly large and furnished in modern style with something of a Scandinavian air to it. There were two armchairs with a table bearing a basket of fruit with an orchid for decoration. Nice touch. There’s a TV, VCR+DVD, HP laser printer and Internet connection. Last time the Internet was free, now it’s 5KD ($17) for 24 hours although you can buy an hour for 2KD ($2) at the Business Centre using their machines.

The bathroom has a very large shower but no bath. It is completely tiled so it could be hosed down. Maybe they do. I counted a generous twenty items on the tray of toiletries. There’s plenty of light (I hate half-lit bathrooms) and a swing-out shaving mirror. The plumbing fittings are modern European, stylish, done in heavy chrome and work very smoothly. The bathroom also has a bidet, phone, speaker sound from the TV and a weigh scale.

The room is equipped with a kettle for making complimentary coffee or tea, mini-bar (no alcohol, of course), iron and ironing board and hair drier. There is plenty of storage space but the cupboard for hanging clothes is a bit narrow. I had to take out the ironing board to make room for my own limited supply of two suits and various shirts. Just as well my wife was not with me.

The restaurant on the second floor has large picture windows with a good view out. There’s lots of crisp white linen and a Swedish glass vase with flower on every table. The breakfast and dinner buffets have a large selection of items (a la carte is also available), both Western and Middle Eastern. Careful with the salt and pepper – the salt comes out of the three-holer and the pepper out of the one. At breakfast, there’s an omelet station. I also liked the selection of fresh loaves on a large breadboard with bread knife. A selection of juices is available served in glasses which, anywhere else, would be very superior cut glass wine glasses. Service is most attentive. If you tire of the restaurant, there are six more in the Sheraton next door.

At dinner, the soups and fresh bread are excellent, the salad, sushi and desserts are very good but the hot food, as in most buffets, is not as appetizing as you would like. There is a chef on duty who will make you a fresh stir-fry, nasi goreng or whatever is the special of the day. (As child of the post-war years, I once heard my parents discuss this and could never understand why Indonesia, of all places, would name a dish after the Nazi Goering. This kind of aural misunderstanding is called a ‘mondegreen’. Look it up.)

Now then, about the phones….. My wife called from Canada on the first day and got through with no trouble. For the next five days she was unable to connect. She tried many, many times. She called the operator who could not get through. She called Sheraton reservations in the U.S. who could not get through. Imagine, Sheraton could not contact Sheraton! I complained to the hotel twice but was only assured that their number was working. Which it was. When my wife’s call did not come through at the appointed time, I would call her. BIG, BIG mistake. It was only after checking out that I realized those calls cost $8 per minute and I had a couple of hundred bucks’ worth of phone calls on my bill. In this day and age, that is absolutely outrageous.

32 Thank Shandie354

Been to Kuwait City? Share your experiences!