“Excellent food, very accomodating, very good service”
Review of Kalamata

Kalamata
Ranked #76 of 1,658 Restaurants in Tel Aviv
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 13 July 2017

We came to Kalamata on a busy evening and had no booking. We were 5 people including 2 small kids and they moved things around and found us a table outside in 5 minutes.
I ordered a Jaffa gin'n'tonic, which was great and I can highly recommend it!
My parents ordered some Israeli wine, which they said was very nice too. The food was excellent - we had grilled calamari, sea bass, ravioli (which children finished in no time) and fish ceviche, which for me was the absolute highlight!
Kalamata is an expensive restaurant, but this was expected considering the location.

In fact, we came back later with my husband and kids without my parents and again they found us a table without booking, although the place was heaving. I only regret ordering "special" wild sea bass, which was nothing special (except for the price tag :)) and I could have ordered something else instead. We had deserts too and the chocolate cake was excellent.

Portions are very generous, like everywhere in Israel!

Well done!

1  Thank Elena K

Reviewed 8 July 2017 via mobile

You pay for the location of the restaurant.
Few variety of dishes, small portions, very slow service and very high prices. Didn't like it.

Reviewed 4 July 2017

I don't know why, but there are so many Greek restaurants in Tel Aviv and Jaffa and with such a good food.

1  Thank Hans v
Reviewed 24 June 2017

Kalamata is situated in old Jaffa in the historic Kdumim square where views are offered of the old city or the fishing port.
We were seated outside, where we had a great view of the old city, there was a gentle cool breeze with faint strains of Greek music.
We started off with cocktails, I ordered the “El Greco” which is ouzo, shaken with thyme, honey and homemade lemonade. I will be drinking my ouzo like this in the future! My wife ordered the “Call me Chile” which consisted of tequila shaken with mescal, passion fruit lemon and chili, with just the right amount of salt lining the glass.
We started off with 2 starters, the thinly sliced beetroot, stuffed with labneh cheese and black tahini. The flavors were gentle with just the right amount of sweetness to complement with sourness of the labneh. A perfect starter, just wish it had been a more generous helping.
Our second starter was the crispy calamari served with a ginger, lemongrass aioli sauce on the side. This was a generous portion served to perfection without the calamari being rubbery or dried out.
Main courses were the greek lamb gyro and the grilled whole fish (sea bass). The gyro was delicious, served on a pita with parsley and yoghurt. The sea bass was seasoned and grilled to perfection, with that great smoky taste of the grill. It was accompanied with a mixture of lightly grilled green vegetables.
We rounded off an unforgettable dinner with cappuccinos and homemade Arabic Knafeh which is Middle Eastern cheese pastry soaked in a sweet sugar based syrup. This was topped by pistachio ice cream.
We will definitely be returning!

1  Thank Mark H
Reviewed 19 June 2017

Beautiful restaurant for a date! We sat at the (small) bar and felt like we were being hosted by friends! The place looks like a typical house in Greece with that family coziness! The wine list was great- lots of Israeli wine to choose from, we ordered a bottle of red Vitkin- pretty decent for the price. The salad and the beet "ravioli" were my favorite starters. Wine, ouzo shots (compliments of the bartender!), mains and for desert we had the typical jaffa knafeh- so good!!!!! We had such an amazing night, made friends with the bartender and a German couple sitting near us- we stayed until closing and enjoyed a walk around the beautiful square before heading home!

1  Thank Flora888333