“Nice sleeping but not much else”
Review of Olive Tree Hotel

Olive Tree Hotel
Ranked #20 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
West Texas
“Nice sleeping but not much else”
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We stayed a the Olive Tree as a part of our tour package so the question of value is not applicable - I don't know the price. Overall the stay was unremarkable. We weren't there much as our tours usually left by 7:30 and returned after five. The hotel staff was not real friendy and was not forthcoming when I went to the front desk to pay for my internet access. Seems their rates and access are one day at a time. You have to pay a daily rate and unused minutes expire within 24 hours. You also have to use the access code within 24 hours of paying the fee.

The hotel is the least of the three on the block on which it sits. It appears a few years old and will be needing an update soon, but it is in good condition. The rooms are a little small by US standards, but comparable to other hotels we used in Israel. The bath is tiny. My wife and I had to alternate in the mornings. Whkie our room overlloked the street on the sixth floor, street noise was no issue. We also did not notice much hall noise and there was nothing from the room above or next door. I really hated the way they made the bed - 2 twin beds shoved together and sheeted seperately. This may be fine for friends, but not for couples. Also, the sheets and blankets were too short for the bed. I remade the bed each evening so the sheet would at least reach my chin.

If I go back to the area I will probably look at other options.

• Stayed February 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
WILLIAMSBURG
Reviewed 24 February 2012

As noted above, mate and I were part of Holy Land tour group of 49 people. We traveled separate from the group and arrived earlier then they did, but were able to get a room without delay. Rooms are nice, and not too small, though the King Size concept is not in their vocabulary - our beds were 2 twin size pushed together. No cuddling without possibility of slipping through the crack!
The hotel staff - specially the restaurant - were pleasant, and the food was quite good. I'm always amused when folks go to another country and expect American cuisine... it doesn't work that way. I know some might have a hard time without their customary foods, but this hotel served good food. Realize there will be tastes you don't like, and just avoid that dish!
But enough of lecturing!
The food was good, the beds not the greatest but good enough to pass out on after a long day of touring. There were wash clothes in the bathroom (? Someone had problem with this ?), and the cleaning staff were fine. A safe in the room – use it and don’t take the chance you find the one possible staff member that has sticky fingers. The front check in staff weren’t overly friendly, though they probably have their hands full with all the tour groups coming and going.

Note:
1. Traveled for 4 days in and out of this hotel, including shopping. Found the price of jewelry in lobby jewel store was cheaper than the “good deal” we found on the road. The manager of this store is friendly as well. The store just outside door of hotel also had good deals and I had read about that fact before the trip.
2. Very close to a YMCA in case you are a member... never tried work out facilities - don't even know if they had any at this hotel!
3. Water was sold on the tour bus, but they had a few bottles in the room... we didn't have a problem with the faucet water taste.
4. Shabbot/Sabbath (Friday night through Saturday eve) is not a 'cooking' day at the hotel, so the food is different then. You will still have good food to choose from.

Room Tip: Rooms facing front of hotel are opposite the mosque - no 5 am. wake up call to prayer was heard by u...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank b747gal
Tallahassee, FL
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I was prepared for a mediocre (at best) experience based on past reviews; but, this place must have undergone extensive remodeling and updating. The rooms are very clean, comfortable and stylish, with all the amenities. The public spaces are beautiful-huge vases of fresh flowers everywhere, marble, brass and crystal decor, pleasant, helpful staff and lavish buffet meals in beautiful dining rooms. With all this along with its great location within walking distance of the Old City and the new mall, I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank sopchop
Slidell, Louisiana
Reviewed 21 February 2012

stayed here several nights with a tour group while visiting the area. Public spaces are beautifully decorated. Rooms were clean and beds were comfortable even though very low to the ground. Don't expect a top flat sheet, but rather duvet and its cover acts as both sheet and comforter. Bathroom was very small, and tub has a glass screen covering only the front half of the tub, so if water pressure is too strong, floor not covered by screen will get very wet! Hotel's hair dryer is adequate at best (recommend you bring your own). Also found out that U.S. electronic appliances, such as curling iron and hair dryers, can be plugged into the bathroom outlet marked SHAVERS with an adaptor and a converter isn't necessary here. Hotel staff were very helpful and even offered to provide an adaptor if needed. Food at breakfast and dinner buffets was delicious and offerings were plentiful at both meals. Seating at group tables was tight though. Both gift shops had good values and manager of inside gift shop was also very accomodating changing the NIS I received from the ATM located in the hotel to U.S. dollars.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, don't get a room at the front of the hotel as the Muslim morning...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank RiverlanGone
ottawa
Reviewed 16 February 2012

A four star hotel should be about more than cleanliness and comfortable beds. It should meet your needs and provide the services to make your trip successful and enjoyable. The Olive Tree doesn't seem to think that service is important.
I went to the lobby on a Saturday night, after the sabbath, and asked the receptionist to arrange for a taxi to take me to a residential area of Jerusalem. She did, and a taxi came a few minutes later. The driver didn't know how to get to the address I gave him, and he told me to get another cab. This of course was not the fault of the hotel. I asked reception to call a second taxi. I waited for more than 30 minutes, and no taxi came. I went back to the reception a couple of times, and the response was "a taxi should be coming soon". After about 40 minutes she agreed " this isn't right", but wasn't prepared to do anything about it.
There was no concierge on duty. There were a couple of employees just outside the front door, I think they were parking attendants, but they did not offer, nor were they requested to help me get a taxi. I ended up going into the street to try to flag down a taxi; it was dark, I didn't speak the language, I couldn't give the driver directions to help me find the location and I was in a city that I know can be dangerous, one where there are incidents of violence. I also didn't have any help to negotiate a price for the trip; and I know that taxis can charge exhorbitant prices, even when there is a meter running. I am the typical "old, white, rich, American tourist", just ripe for being fleeced, or more.
Crisp sheets and fancy lobbies don't make up for the fact that the hotel doesn't care about my needs or my safety. I can't believe that a hotel of its purported class could be so callous and irresponsible. Its at the extreme opposite of the hotel where the staff take the time to help you find what you need, or give you advice about getting around.
I wrote to the hotel manager to express my concern; perhaps it was just an exeption or a poorly trained employee. Nope, not so, as neither the manager nor anyone else from the hotel bother to even acknowledge my concern.
Olive tree caters to groups of travellers on tours in Israel. They get their money up front, so I guess that there isn't much need to provide any service, and leave it up to the tour guides to do everything.
My recommendation would be to stay away from this place, and choose an alternative hotel if at all possible. There are reviews of many hotels in the area where people receive excellent service, and where the hotel makes an effort to help them.

Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank travelmench
OliveTreeHotel, General Manager at Olive Tree Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
First of all I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused by the taxi driver. On that note, we would like to clarify that the taxi company does not belong to the hotel but it is privately owned, however the hotel does feel responsible for all its clients and its safety. We will certainly talk to the Manager of the taxi station to make sure that such an incident does not happen again. That's why we would appreciate if you can give us the exact time and date of the incident so we can try to locate the driver. I also would like to inform you that I did not receive any letter or email from you regarding your complaint. Regarding the front desk staff we will train them again in order to make sure that they know how to take good care of our valued customers. I sincerely regret that you did not experience the superb hospitality we make every effort to provide. I have every hope you might return and enjoy the excellent service we pride ourselves on.

Sincerely yours,