All reviews outdoor pool public areas relaxing vacation reading room main dish wine bar peace and quiet perfect place to relax healthy food garden room fitness room bottom line spent nights salad beautiful view israeli hotels treatment
Reviewed 4 December 2017

I loved the idea of being able to go to a spa and being able to eat there (as we keep kosher). The food was good and nicely presented although the selection was limited (besides the large salad buffet). I would have loved to get a cup of coffee early in the AM before breakfast but one needed to have the waiter get this for you. There is a synagogue on the premises (although we barely scraped together a minyan). The spa treatments book up quickly and I would advise booking them prior to your arrival. You need to make dinner reservations. The time to call for these reservations opens at 4. I would advise calling around 4 as calls later will give you the only the earliest and latest times. The gym was adequate and the indoor pool was nice. The trails outside yielded nice vistas and they provide you with a map and water.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 November 2017

We just got back from a two night stay at the Carmel Forest Sp after not visiting for several years. We have been going to this hotel since it opened over twenty years ago and I was amazed at how well it has been kept up, both in terms of the facilities (the room was in perfect condition, all the public areas felt brand new, and the spa facilities looked like they had just been opened) and the level of the service. (Anytime we called the front desk for something, it came immediately) If anything, the service and the food were better than ever. This is quite an accomplishment. My husband and I are total spa hounds and the treatments were excellent (reflexology, deep tissue and hot stone.) The hotel had a nice quiet vibe, with lots of teas, herbal drinks, a fire in the fireplace, well kept walking trails, plenty of towels by the pool and sauna, and NO ONE yelling into their cellphones. The food was healthy but with interesting touches (in fact we bought the cookbook.) And the service in the restaurant was friendly and quick. I am completely confused by the negative reviews on this site, since I am a fairly demanding traveller. Just so you don't think I'm getting paid off to write this - the bed could have been larger (it was a queen size, not a king) and it is a pricey venue. Yes, I know, one doesn't have to do a million treatments or shop at the store, but that's the fun part, isn't it? At any rate - you can make this a cheaper visit by waiting for a special deal, and keeping yourself down to one massage.

Room Tip: Best rooms are on the fifth floor (the Oren Suites) or the first floor (garden rooms)
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2017 via mobile

Located in the middle of the Carmel forest reserve, Israel's first health-spa hotel is not living up to the hype. There was no special 'vibe' or atmosphere, just a quiet, nice, outdated place.

Rooms are spacious and clean, views are lovely but the design is outdated, lighting is poor and chairs and sofas are not comfortable. Shower is great, toiletries and amenities very good but were not refreshed during daily cleanup. It was nice to receive a complimentary cookie box, but we'd rather have it waiting in the room than having to answer the door an hour or so after check in.

The gym is well equipped, indoor pool great but outdoor pool is a bit on the far side. Classes are few and for health reasons we couldn't try them. Too bad the only walk around the grounds was a moderate 5k walk and no easier option existed.

Food was OK but not as lavish as in other Isrotel hotels, some was mediocre or underseasoned, some very good. I did not enjoy my meals as much as I did in Kramim or Mitspe Ha'Yamim. Saturday lunch seemed like Friday night's leftovers....

But the most annoying thing was the mediocre service. While very friendly, it was unprofessional - at breakfast, waiters struggled with drinks and eggs orders and those took a long time. During dinner it was the opposite and our entrees were served not 10 mins after we started eating the appetizers. Worse part was Saturday morning, when somehow hot water makers did not work and no solution was found for over 2 hours... so no hot drinks nor any apology other than 'it aint working'.

We did enjoy our vacation because we liked the quiet and managed to relax and overlook most of those issues. We will not return, however, because at this price -- we can go to much better place, including by Isrotel.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dora B
Reviewed 2 November 2017

What this hotel needs is better management. Inconsistency to me is a sign of poor management. First the good: lovely location (though if you're a bit queezy about driving on a steep winding mountain road without guardrails don't drive at night for sure) with nice grounds and facilities. Food is good though not outrageous. For example, breakfast, while quite elaborate, has basically only one hot dish (a choice of omelets). No pancakes, french toast, hot cereal, or other assorted delicacies I've had at other Israeli hotels. The main course at dinner (which supposedly you're entitled to only one, after an unlimited salad bar) is rather small; the first night I was actually still hungry and the waiter did bring me a second portion. We were told to make a reservation for dinner when we checked in; we were NOT told to plan far in advance! When we called at 6 pm to make the reservation we were told the first available slot was at 9:30! We arrived for a two-day stay; there were no appointments available for a facial except early in the morning. When we complained we were told that people "know" to make massage reservations when they book their room in advance of arrival at the hotel. I guess first timers like us lose out. The stationary bicycle in the fitness room was not properly maintained; the seat was wobbly. For the prices they charge, someone should be checking and maintaining the machines regularly. A bulb was out in the bathroom lights; ditto. Phone conversations are not allowed except in certain places. We had a problem with our rental car and received a call back from the company in one of these restricted locations; we were NOT told nicely that phone calls are not allowed by the attendant. On the other hand, when we arrived and the valet saw my car was low in gas, he offered to drive the car to the nearest gas station (8 km away) and get it filled up. Some of the dining room staff were great, others passable. Lastly, if you're not comfortable being hemmed in by flowers (and bees), don't take a garden room; the flowers also block any view of the beautiful surroundings

Room Tip: reserve massage when you book the hotel; plan your dinner reservation early; see above regarding garden room
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

The service, even by Israeli standards, was well below the quality of the hotel itself and the premium pricing they charge. I would be hard pressed to want to repeat a visit here. It’s too bad because the grounds and the rooms are quite nice. It was not simply that the service was inattentive but that the employees from housekeeping that banged on the door despite a dnd sign to a bartender that ignored us to the checkout experience with a grossly understaffed desk and a line of people waiting.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple