“Beautiful compound but terrible management”

The Orchid Hotel and Resort Eilat
Ranked #33 of 63 Hotels in Eilat
Zurich, Switzerland
“Beautiful compound but terrible management”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

In short: i have hardly ever seen a more terrible reception desk in my entire life. Nil service, no help in finding restaurants - even denying a estaurant would exist, even if it is well know to all people from Eilat. The restaurant sub-manager was good, but as the rest of the staff wasn't even lifting the head upon an oder she had to to all on her own. Further examples: Beds were not made, people hardly speak anything else than Hebrew (and maybe Russian). It's quicker to report about the good things: the breakfast manager and the breakfast staff are helpful ans quick, superb location and romantic setting out of overcrowded Eilat. Because of the latter I would try the place again next time in Eilat.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank portoferraio1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Hebrew first
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

This beautiful hotel is situated on the south beach of Eilat opposite The Aquarium. The cabins are built into the mountains, giving every room a balcony with a view of the Red Sea. The resort is built as a Thai village.
This was my third stay over a Passover. The food was delicious, varied, creative and plentiful.
I highly recommend this hotel for everyone- singles, couples and families

Room Tip: Ask for a room directly facing the Aquarium. There are superior rooms. I stayed in the standard roo...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank leaffan2
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

Having never visited Israel my wife and I decided to visit and booked with the Orchid Hotel (via Booking.com). It was an important trip as it was our 30th wedding anniversary and we wanted somewhere special. The Orchid Hotel had been highly recommended and we booked it in January, 2012.

We received a confirmation of our booking, but to be sure I rang the hotel a week before we were due to arrive and confirmed with them that all was ok with our booking. On the Saturday before we were due to travel (the following day !) our agent, "Booking.com" called to say that The Orchid had cancelled our booking, this was due to the hotel having accepted a block booking for the whole hotel from a private party. I was furious.

The hotel offered alternative accommodation, but it was not acceptable as it was of a different standard and was more oriented towards families than couples.

Booking.COM were very helpful and organised alternative accommodation for us, having "given up" on the poor service they (also) had received from the hotel. At NO stage did the hotel contact us directly to explain, apologise or offer any form of compensation.

Being so annoyed when we arrived in Eilat I wanted to meet the hotel management and explain how their poor planning had ruined our anniversary. We went to the hotel on arrival in Eilat. The staff were sympathetic and friendly, but the Reservations Manager, was not available. I did eventually speak to her on her mobile, via the hotel's reception. I explained why I was so annoyed and did ask why the hotel could not have contacted me to apologise and explain what had gone wrong. She was unable to provide any explanation.

As compensation she offered us a meal at the hotel, that evening, but as my wife and I had to organise our alternative hotel we could not stay. The hotel did give us a free drink and we did find the poolside bar side also friendly and sympathetic. I agreed with the Reservations Manager that she would call us the following day with an alternate time and date for the dinner. She did not call. I called her in the evening and she said that the restaurant was closed and that was why she had not called. No other apology or compensation was offered and the phone call ended.

Before posting this I gave the Orchid an opportunity of providing an explanation and gave them the text I intended to post. They made no response whatsoever.

So if you do intend to use this hotel, beware the risk that the day before you travel they could, with no explanation cancel your booking. On a more positive note we found Booking.com FANTASTIC. They organised another hotel (Dan Eilat) which was infinitely superior to the Orchid and where we had a fantastic time. Overall we really enjoyed Eilat and would recommend it, just don't book with the Orchid !

Room Tip: If we'd been able to get in to the room we had booked I might have been able to help.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank mikethompson77
lauren z, Manager at The Orchid Hotel and Resort Eilat, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Orchid Eilat.
I would like to thank you for bringing your feedback to our attention.
We are dedicated to provide a high level of service and standards. Therefore I was very surprised at your experience here.
I deeply apologies for any inconvenience you may had.
I will appreciate if you will contact me directly in order to find a way to solve this issue with you. We hope to have the pleasure of hosting you back in the future and assure you be able to enjoy in a spoiled and relaxed atmosphere.

Lauren Zhavi
operation manager of Orchid Hotels

Travellers are raving about these Eilat hotels

Andorra
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

The exotic Orchid Hotel located on the Coral Beach. There are the Siam Wing, designed in Far Eastern style, and the Shangri-La Wing of deluxe villas.
Our family room with a gallery was very comfy for 4 of us (suitable for two adults and two children) and designed in traditional Thai style.
The balcony of our room overlooked the amazing view, room was equipped with air conditioning, cable LCD satellite television, digital safe, king-sized bed, a mini-refrigerator, and hair dryer (but the bathroom accessories were pretty basic).
Access to the rooms by tuk-tuk (golf cars) – a unique experience for all the family to enjoy. Our children were so happy!
A rich Israeli breakfast, wireless Internet free of charge, bicycles for fun rides in the area (free of charge), free computer and Sony Play Station games in the lobby area, transportation back and forth to the city every hour. New exotic look on vacation. And... good to know - International service calls free of charge from the hotel lobby!
Like it.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank evakama
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

Stayed at this hotel just before Easter. Based loosely on a Tie Village them, the hotel is built into rocks on a hill and you can order took-took's to take you to your room or the pool area.These are electric cars but be aware that the maintenance staff use petrol ones and they are noisy. It is a few miles from the main town. The number one reason I liked this hotel was that it is not pretentious in any way and the people staying there do not look you up & down or care what you are wearing around the pool unlike a lot of other hotels in this region. The pool area is lovely with free towel's although the pool is not heated. For some reason they have another swimming pool towards the top of the hotel gardens but it is only ornamental (I kid you not, a good sized pool but only to look at!) The rooms are fine but do need some refurbishment. There is free internet access although only available by the pool. They offer free computers and international calls by the pool as well. Breakfast was rubbish compared to other hotels in Eilat, no toaster for starters. Maintenance is slow to react, (computer down for 3 days no one fixed it, telephone not working during our stay no one fixed it etc.) Very clean pace and staff are helpful for a change. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the top are away from the hub-a-bub but being close to the pool you do not have to wait for...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family