“Very bad!”

Leonardo Royal Resort Hotel Eilat
Ranked #22 of 62 Hotels in Eilat
Wouldn't you like to know
“Very bad!”
Reviewed 2 December 2008

The front is very nice, as is the the reception area.

When we got here the receptionist that we got didn't look at our booking slip, they weren't expecting us and they thought we were part of a group.

They tried putting us into a room we neither booked nor paid for, and it took most of the next day to get the room we booked and paid for.

The hotel is dirty, there are signs from when it was the Palmira still up, the carpets and outdoor tables are old (and were due to be replaced in 2005 under the Palmira) and the LCD TV's have very poor reception. There is dirt and stains on the carpets, walls, fire doors and balconies. One fire door had what looked like blood on it, it had most likely shut itself in someones face, but the blood has been there so long its black.

The room we finally got had no working fan in the bathroom, all it needed was to be re-seated as they told us it made a noise which is why it was turned off. It took 2 days and 3 requests to get a plug in the sink. We were there for 4 days before we got any body wash for the shower so we had to make do with just the shampoo and conditioner.

The food was terrible, we were both made ill on the night we got there, and on at least two occasions we found badly cooked food. We witnessed a lack of hygiene standards when one member of the table staff sneezed on their hand then started putting fresh cutlery into the cutlery tray and putting cups on the tables without washing their hands first (thus contaminating countless food utensils with germs) - we informed the management who apparently pulled the staff up on this.

We don't like complaining, but this hotel is disgusting. The staff look dirty, their clothing looked dirty, and only 4 members of staff spoke passable English and 3 of these are management.

The entertainment was in Ivrit only. We made a request to the Entertainment Manager (hah) to just give us the gist of what was going on in English, i.e. in one show some famous Israeli singer went to France, and there was a whole speech in Ivrit about it, all they needed to say was "Soinso went to Paris because blah blah", but they couldn't even be bothered to do that.

This wasn't the most expensive holiday for us, but this hotel ruined our entire trip as we were both ill throughout due to their poor standards. Myself especially, having you know what meant I couldn't go far from the hotel so I couldn't do the things I wanted to do on my trip. The stomach cramps were really bad too.

There was even a cake in the lobby cafe that had a thumb hole in the chocolate "icing". When pointed out they didn't do anything about it. The next day they had - they moved one of the chocolate balls and put it over the thumb hole :( you could tell, because the indent from its original location was still visible - flipping disgusting.

The staff don't seem to care about the dirt etc. If I, as a tourist, see the dirt and think "I'm not coming back here" then so will other tourists. We know for a fact that some other people complained about the dirt and whatnot, so although the rep and the manager were telling us the place is better than it was as the Palmira, we know they were talking BS!

They told us that Fattal has spent millions of shekels on the place - ha ha ha, yeah, thats funny - thats why there are those old Palmira signs up still (after 18 months of Fattal ownership) and the carpets and the outside tables are the same - like I say, BS!

All in all, don't go to this hotel, it can make you ill.

Stayed November 2008
4 Thank Dark_Storm_001

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 19 May 2008

Booked well in advance (January 2008...knowing first week of May would be rough due to holidays, etc.) through website InIsrael.com. Got a fast reply and confirmation all set up, confirmed with credit card, no problem.

By the way, this is no longer the Palmira!!! It's now called the "Royal Tulip" (right across the street from the Crowne Plaza and next to the Golden Tulip). It's not super far from the seashore, maybe a 20 minute walk at a moderate pace. So if you're looking for beach front or near beach, this aint the place.

Basically I chose this place because it had decent reviews, vacancy during the time I wanted, and Eilat was mostly a launching point for a visit accross the border to Petra anyway (stayed for only three nights, and it was at the end of an 11-day road trip through much of Israel, so was just about out of energy and out of cash in any case). Didn't get to see the dolphin parks or any of the other big sites in Eilat (again, arriving one afternoon; going to Petra the next full day; and finally spending the last day, a Saturday, lounging around the pool; leaving early Sunday AM).

We did walk up to the beach area a couple times... beach is very rocky with few places to lay out (if you bring your own blanket)...otherwise you have to rent a recliner (didn't rent in Eilat, but in Netanya this cost 15 NIS each for the entire day...umbrella extra...Netanya has a much much better beach IMHO), and the areas where you are allowed to swim and where there a recliners are very very crowded (some of the shore-side hotels have staked claim to pieces of the beach, too).

OK, back to Royal Tulip. Easy check-in, very friendly young girl at reception who was very helpful that day and during the entire stay (wish I remembered her name...brunette with glasses). Room was very clean and modern. There are rooms in the main building (views looking out over the street toward Crowne Plaza) and rooms with balconies which surround the pool area in the back. We had a room in the main building, so no balcony (Smoking is not allowed inside the hotel or in the hotel rooms...just at pool area and probably on balconies). Room was made-up every day; free coffee and tea in the room, even gave us complimentary sweets our first day (little pastry things). Parking was pretty slim...that is, there are spots along a service road which runs around the hotel...I was lucky to get one when we checked in...but it was full the whole time, except after Saturday evening when everyone seemed to split. Sunday morning (when we set out back to Tel Aviv to fly home) the place was like a ghost town.

Pool area was nice, clean, big pool with entertainment on that Saturday. Breakfast was good, too. Only major complaint (and I guess this has stuck with me since it was my last contact with the hotel upon leaving and was pretty important in and of itself) is that they FORGOT to prepare our breakfast boxes (you know, when you have to have early breakfast before the restaurant opens...). I had asked well in advance the day before, watched the guy fill out the form (some dude with a pony-tail), everything (I thought) was AOK...but then, coming down at 5 AM the next morning to check-out and hit the road for a 4-5 hour drive to Tel Aviv, I was told that the evening shift forgot to give the little slip of paper to the people to the kitchen...that nothing had been prepared...and the kitchen was locked up for another hour or so...and so nothing could be done. Oh well. I was really surprised, too, because we had done this already (the girl who helped me check in on the first day, bless her heart, took care of this no problem, since our first morning we had to leave early for Petra and needed breakfast to-go).

So, that's pretty much it. I mostly liked the hotel; again, lots of positives, decent price at $129/night and good facilities/amenities, housekeeping good, etc. Just be sure 1) if you see a parking spot, to snatch it up right away, 2) expect a good walk to the sea-shore if that's your thing (though I personally would not return to Eilat just for it's beach), and 3) if you ask for an early breakfast in a box-to-go for the next morning, be sure to double check with them again the evening before to make sure the reception dude gave the slip of paper to kitchen dudes...or you mind end up driving home on an empty stomach. Dude?

Stayed May 2008
israel
Reviewed 3 November 2007

stayed in the hotel with my wife for 4 nights. all in all the hotel is good, but there are the good and bad points. i reserved a room facing the pool (which is a must), and a top floor. i got a room on the first floor, facing the pool, which was okay. the reception attitude when i arrived was rude, but i didnt want to spoil my vaction. the breakfest was rich, i couldn't ask for more. all the facileties were okay. if you want to relax thats the place, but not more than that. the rooom was very clean and so is the rest of the hotel

• Liked — the room and the pool
  • Disliked — the reception
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank zeevIsrael
southend-on-sea
Reviewed 25 January 2007

I stayed at the palmira hotel with my brother and Dad and found that the hotel was good. our room looked over the pool. breakfast and dinner were excellent you could eat as much as you liked. when we went out for day trips the hotel supplied us with breakfast boxes.

the hotel was only a short walk away from main beach and shops.

the staff were frendly, but we were the only english guests there and they conversed in good english.

this was our first and my dad second time in israel and the only noticable diffrence was the secuirity on the door and around town.

Eilat has lots of activities for teenagers and young adults like scuba diving, snorkelling, jet skiing, para sailing, volley ball on beach. (even my dad joined in)

plus as Israel is a small country getting around is easy by road or plane, Tel aviv is only an hour away by plane.

Stayed July 2004
6 Thank davidlisner
Kharkiv, Ukraine
Reviewed 19 January 2007

My girlfriend and I stayed at Palmira hotel for 5 days in December 2006. Overall the hotel is good, although it's nothing exceptional. I agree with the other poster that it offers value for money. It's a good solid 4-start hotel, rooms are large and well equipped: large twin bed, additinal sofa (that I believe can be transformed into a little bed for a child), table, TV, phone, etc. Everything is clean. While the furniture is quite ok, you can see it's not brand new. Most, but not all, rooms overlook the pool, other overlook the street; the pool view rooms are much better, so try to get one of those. The hotel has a big nice pool, but we were there in the winter, and it was too cold for us to swim. Breakfast was great, dinner was OK, although I would like some more variety. There's a gym in the basement.

It takes about 7-10 minutes of walk along the marina to get to the beach. To the bus station or airport you have to either walk for some 30 minutes or get a taxi that costs around 20 shekels.

If you are in Eilat, visit the Underwater Observatory, it's fun. Make sure to book your tickets in advance though, either at the hotel or at numerous tourist info booths throughout the city; this is cheaper than buying the ticket at the Observatory itself. We found the Egged Tours office at the centeral bus station to have the best prices. You can get to the Observatory either by taxi or by bus that leaves from the central bus station every hour on hour (costs 4 shekel one way). If you go to the Oceanarium at the Observatory (which I recommend) and you don't speak Hebrew, make sure to ask for headset to listen to translation (in either English or Russian). If you don't ask, they won't give it to you.

Overall Palmira is a good hotel in its price category. Obviously it's not as chic as Hilton or Dan (which are twice as expensive).

Stayed December 2006