“Bus to / from Selcuk, Bodrum”
Review of Selcuk

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
43 helpful votes
“Bus to / from Selcuk, Bodrum”
Reviewed 4 August 2009

For information about arriving in Izmir by plane and getting a bus to Selcuk, see my post under Hotel Bella Selcuk.

We also took buses from Selcuk to Bodrum and from Bodrum to Izmir. Key point: buy your ticket a day in advance, if possible. On long-distance trips, the seats are assigned when you buy your ticket, starting in the front of the bus. And these busses do fill up!

The Selcuk bus station (Otogar) is new and very nice. We were on a medium-size bus from Selcuk to Bodrum; it did not have a steward. It started with just a few passengers, but at the next large town if filled to capacity and even two people were not able to get on.

The Bodrum bus station is not so new, but it is convenient, in the tourist section of town. Again, buy your ticket as soon as you know what bus you want. The clerks in Bodrum may not speak English; be sure to request the bus by the 24-hour clock (i.e., 13 hours, not 1 pm). Next to the bus station is a farmer's market, both outside and inside. Fascinating.

We had a large first-class bus Bodrum to Izmir -- fabulous! New, built by Mercedes-Benz, comfortable seats, a driver, a ticket manager, and a steward. On the 3 1/2 hour trip, first hour the steward put on gloves and served us cups of water. The second hour he served us cups of ice cream. The third hour he filled up a cart with nice size packages of a number of varieties of cookies and crackers, of which you could take your choice. You also had your choice of coffee or tea or several other beverages. Really delightful!

Note: the Izmir otogar is a LONG way from the Izmir airport. No direct transport except cab --- and that is relatively expensive. However, an enterprizing gentleman who needed to get from the otogar to the airport, like us, worked out a deal with the driver of a dolmus that if there were 6 people who wanted to go to the airport, he would make a diversion and take us there. There were 6 of us and he took us (and his other passengers, some of whom were not pleased at the diversion) to the airport. But it was all very entertaining as we bounced along and worked out a conversation with one of the other passengers. Because the driver was not allowed to take the dolmus up to the entry of the terminal, he dropped us all off about a block from the international terminal (we needed the domestic terminal). There were lots of cabs who showed up willing to take us the rest of the way. The Turks are friendly and honest; being adventurous is fun!

4 Thank peta4meter
Belgium
2 helpful votes
“Fantastic private tour of Ephesus/Kusadasi”
Reviewed 18 July 2009

My husband Patrick and I felt we just had to comment on the most enjoyable and reasonably priced tour we had of Kusadasi.

We had arrived on the 18th of June with Royal Caribbean. Our guide, Ertunga Ecir, was waiting for us at the port with and air-conditioned car, most welcomed in the heat, and his very polite, courteous and safe driver.
We had arranged a private tour because I have difficulty walking for extended periods; well to be honest I have to take a break after only 10-15 minutes. I was concerned that it might present a problem, but Ertunga was most understanding. We had an amazing and relaxing tour of Ephasus. The pace at which Ertunga showed us around was never rushed. His knowledge of the history of that amazing place was very informative and told in a way that was enjoyable and not stuffy. He also gave us time to wander around by ourselves allowing us to soak up the atmosphere. The itinerary for the tour had been chosen by us and included a visit to the House of the Virgin Mary. An amazing place, that gave me an overwhelming feeling of serenity and calmness. We were fortunate enough to be there as the priests celebrated Mass. Of course we could not have visit Turkey without going to a carpet factory, or to be more precise, a Carpet Weaving Cooperative. You can see how the carpets are made; starting with how the silk is extracted from the silk worms to the skill employed by the girls weaving the carpets. We also have a lovely meal, with of course the chance to sample the local wine. A “secret” place I would highly recommend you ask Ertunga to take you to, the top of Ataturk Hill. You will see the most amazing views of the Kusadasi bay and Pigeon Island.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at jvankeer@yahoo.com

2 Thank Joyce008
San Francisco CA
2 helpful votes
“Wonderful Place - Great People”
Reviewed 14 July 2009

I was here a few years ago and had a blast. The people were so nice. When I left they told me "Dean not tourist, Dean Akshemlar (friend)". After the avarice of Istanbul it was very refreshing. Some highlights -

Baikal Pension (right near bus station and museum)- I was planning to stay at a more expensive place, but I had an unfortunate run-in with a clip joint in Istanbul (much to my chagrin, I am a careful traveler) - so I stayed here. It's a little rough, but the people are so nice, the beds are comfortable and you get breakfast on the terrace at the time you want. I would stay there easily again.

Rose Bar - Hope it's still open - the nicest guys - some of the merchants from Ephesus hang out here. I had the best time with these guys.

Saturday Flea/Farmer's market - a blast lot's of local produce, and other market things.

In short I miss my friends in Selcuk and am anxious to go back, and I'll get there with a big smile on my face.

2 Thank dinosf
Baltimore, Maryland
37 helpful votes
“it's like going back in time”
Reviewed 9 July 2009

We went there on May 2008. The site was just AWESOME. Make sure you have a lot of free space in your memory card because you're going to be taking lots and lots of pictures. Tour guide was knowledgeable and spoke very good English.

St Lazare Quebec
52 helpful votes
“goephesustour outstanding value”
Reviewed 7 July 2009

Took a private tour of Ephesus through goephesustour.com . Tour was outstanding value, knowledgeable guide, modern minibus for just the two of us and excellent price point. Had to do the carper demo - sale effort, seems this is standard for all Turkish tours, would probably rather paid a little more to skip the sales effort, but if you are firm, there are no hard feelings. Lunch was excellent, the trip tailored to our preferences, all entrance fees included for Ephesus ruins, Church of the Virgin Mary, lunch etc. Below is their confirmation of included services, quite a deal.

We did pay extra for entrance to the terraced houses in the Ephisus ruins, really worth the time and money ( can't remember the entrance fee, but it was not much)

Here's what was included:

The price of this tour per person is: 65$
For 2 people
Total: 130$
Duration of the tour: 7 hours
Departure from: Kusadasi port at 9.00 am
It includes:
-English speaking professional tour guide
-A/C minibus
-Visits to Ephesus ruins, the Odeon, the bouleterion,the roman baths and theater. House of the Virgin Mary, church of Saint John, temple of Artemis
-All entrance fees,
-Parking fees,
-Traditional lunch, Turkish mezes (starters), salads & grills, fruits of the season
We have no hidden charges.
Our guide will meet you at 9.00 am at the exit of the port
Your name will be written on a name plate
On full day tours the vehicle & guide is at your service all day, you may spend as much time as you like in each of the sites.

2 Thank terroir

Been to Selcuk? Share your experiences!