All reviewsthe ownerthe busturkeyroof terraceturkish breakfastalperselmastationephesusizmirruinsolives
Reviewed 31 January 2017

We meet Ilker in March 2016 when my wife, two year old and myself visited in March 2016 and he helped us have a great experience.

We had read about his hospitality and helpfulness and he didn't dissappoint. First of all he was shocked to see us arriving walking from the train station, saying that he would have picked us up had he known. So tip one, let him know :)

He helped us organise two day tours with reputable agencies without charging us anything. We normally like doing things ourselves but the tours were great and the easiest way to explore the region with a two year old toddler, so I definitively recommend it to people travelling with kids.

Then he also helped us book a hot air balloon ride in Goreme for cheaper than other people had gotten their flights in Goreme (I think 80 instead of 100 euros). So again, I recommend to accept his assistance.

Given the unfortunate events that had been happening at the time the hotel was empty and we were the only ones to show up out of 10 bookings, so he offered us to choose the room we liked the most.

Unfortunately his wife had also twisted and ankle in Ankara so he was preoccupied with this, but our baby got to meet Ilker's dad and they had a great time together (I hope Ilker that you decided to give him a grandchild by now!).

The rooms were very comfortable, the place has a rooftop bar that has a great view at night, the pool must be great in the summer and the breakfast were the traditional turkish ones.

Overall we had a great time and would definitively recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 January 2017

this hotel was simply the best experience i have had in many years. The rooms were clean, comfortable, and nice. The breakfast was superb and included olives and fruit from the owners' farm nearby. The location was amazing--a five-minute walk to the Basilica of St. John and the Ayasoluk, five minutes to the Ephesus Museum, fiteen to the Temple of Artemis. The ancient city of Ephesus was ten minutes by taxi.

The owners are the crowning jewel of the hotel. Ilker and his wife know the city like the back of their hand and know every restaurant, market, and event. They made it very easy for us to enjoy everything about Selcuk. If they didn't know an answer, there was no guessing. They went with us and found the answer. My son and I had a wonderful trip and will stay at the Nazar Hotel every time we are in Ephesus.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 December 2016

This was our second stay at what must be the best small hotel in Turkey. We were picked up at Izmir airport by the friendly owner, Ilker, who remembered us from several years ago like long-lost friends.

The Nazar Hotel is a boutique hotel ideally situated in Selcuk 3 minutes walk from the Main Street. You can easily walk to the Basilica of St John, the historic Isa Bey mosque, the ruins of the Temple of Artemis... Even Ephesus is only 10 minutes by car or a half hour walk. And Selcuk is such a friendly place with a weekly market that takes over most of the town.

The hotel is tastefully decorated in Turkish decor and the rooms are very comfortable (nice modern bathrooms) with some having wonderful views of the ancient castle. Breakfasts are great, but best of all is the customer service. Ilker and his wife were in the tourism business for years before purchasing the hotel and are passionate about Turkey. Their local knowledge and contacts are exceptional and they can organise just about anything you can imagine.

We spent a week at the hotel, exploring the local district. We've only scratched the surface so will be going back in the near future for our third visit.

Unfortunately tourism isn't doing well even in this quiet part of Turkey, but honestly just go! And stay at the Nazar Hotel!!

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms have great views of the old castle
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2016

Safe, conveniently located, clean, superb customer service, and knowledgeable staff are what I found at Hotel Nazar. I traveled to Turkey alone with the idea to make friends, create breathtaking memories, and experience something new. Thankfully, the hotelier and his wife are both former tour guides who strive to excel in making tourists’ dreams come true in Turkey. After meeting Ilker (hotel owner) and his staff, I decided to check out of my first hotel in Selcuk and stay at his hotel. It was the best decision I made. I sat down with the owner and told him what I wanted to experience in Turkey—Ephesus Tour, Hot Air Ballooning in Cappadocia, and several lazy days on the Aegean Sea, without breaking my budget. Ilker, which means ‘first man’ in Turkish, helped to create the most memorable Turkish vacation for me. His hotel is authentic and refined. I spent many hours swimming in the crystal blue waters of the pool and his family even drove me to the Aegean seaside town of Kusadasi for a relaxing time on the beach! The rooms are tidy and Ayce, the housekeeper, is very sweet and helpful. She did my laundry and I was thankful. Hotel Nazar was not the first place I stayed in the area, but I will certainly come again in the very near future. I love Turkey!!!

Room Tip: Hotel has free wifi but there were no televisions in the room
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 June 2016

This was my introduction to the quaint Turkey I'd heard about.. Nazar Hotel was so close to many of the sites (Ephesus 10 minutes by taxi), Isabey Mosque (walking distance), Basilica of St. John (walking distance), Serinci (short dolmuses ride away). I really enjoyed meeting Ilker and his wife Selma, who guides all over Turkey.

They have a lovely pool and garden area, although the pool isn't filled until the beginning of June. The view from the breakfast area on the rooftop is amazing as was the traditional Turkish breakfast. It's a close walk to local shopping and restaurants and also the Saturday Selcuk Market.

Room Tip: If you can handle climbing stairs, a higher room with a balcony is good.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends