“Below average experience, small rooms, noisy street, awful food”
Review of Hotel Nazar

Hotel Nazar
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Selcuk
Reviewed 1 April 2017

We went to stay at this hotel after reading the positive reviews here. I don't know what people are talking about. The rooms were below basic, even by Turkey standards. We had dinner at the terrace "restaurant", if you can call it that. The quality of the food was ridiculous. very limited items, we had to go with kofte (meatballs) as there were no better options. The portions were ridiculous but here is the WORST part: they were in fact frozen/factory made kofte from the supermarket cooked at the place. NEVER have i in my life had such an awful experience. Also, beware: when you want to visit the ruins at Ephesus, simply walk over to the taxi station a few blocks away, behind the mosque and get your own cab. The owner offered to call a cab for us, to which we naively agreed and we were charged 100 US dollars for the round trip - which would have been a small fraction had we simply done so ourselves. Very distasteful rip off. Finally, the "hotel" is in a residential area, and some folks in the neighborhood were chatting outside into the night so we stayed up until they went to bed as you could hear every word they were saying. this ought to have been my worst hotel experience ever, anywhere in the world, that is.

Room Tip: Don't stay here - period
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Anne A
ILKERSEN, Sahibi at Hotel Nazar, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2017

Dear Ann A,
Thank you for taking time to write a review about our hotel.
We are sorry that we couldn't have covered your expectations. Everyone has different taste while they are traveling. I wish you told us about your dissatisfaction about our hotel. We could have tried to fix it as much as we can.
On the other hand I would like to clarify several things in your review.

First of all, our hotel is a basic hotel for Turkey and our prices are according to that. We don’t offer luxury. We also have bigger rooms with different rates.
But I wish you were clearer with the words 'even by Turkey standards' What is wrong with Turkey standards?
As you wrote this review 10 months after you visit us may be you misremember...
The meal we serve at our restaurant has never been frozen food. May be you didn't like the taste of our meal. That is understandable and I respect that. There's no accounting for taste but this accusation you made is totally WRONG.
Also what you remember about the taxi is wrong as well. The charge for the taxi is 20 TL for Ephesus. On the other hand, the taxi charges 100 TL (which is equal to approximately 27 USD) for the service to go to house of Virgin Mary (wait there about 45 min. to 1 hour) and then to take you to Ephesus South gate and to pick you up from the North gate (about 2 hours later) and take you back to town. Also the amount is charged by taxi driver not by us.
Accusing me of to be the accessory of a rip off that never happened (as you misremember the currency) is not fair. We have never misguided our guests, and we will never do.

By the way, just to be clear about the location of the taxi station; there is only one taxi station and it is at the bus station. We also give that information to our guests.
And finally about our neighborhood... Yes, our hotel is in the residential area. The noise you mentioned is the noise people chatting not screaming and not vehicles passing through as our street is kind of no dead end street. Most of our guests enjoy being in residential area as they can experience real life in Turkey instead of touristic hotel districts. And it is so normal here families sit in front of their houses have tea and chat with their neighbors. This is very typical behavior for the people who live in areas with hot summer not only in Selcuk but also all small towns in Turkey.

We are trying our best to please our guests, we are sorry we were not succeeded with your visit.
Best regards,
Ilker SEN

Reviewed 31 January 2017

We meet Ilker in March 2016 when my wife, two year old and myself visited in March 2016 and he helped us have a great experience.

We had read about his hospitality and helpfulness and he didn't dissappoint. First of all he was shocked to see us arriving walking from the train station, saying that he would have picked us up had he known. So tip one, let him know :)

He helped us organise two day tours with reputable agencies without charging us anything. We normally like doing things ourselves but the tours were great and the easiest way to explore the region with a two year old toddler, so I definitively recommend it to people travelling with kids.

Then he also helped us book a hot air balloon ride in Goreme for cheaper than other people had gotten their flights in Goreme (I think 80 instead of 100 euros). So again, I recommend to accept his assistance.

Given the unfortunate events that had been happening at the time the hotel was empty and we were the only ones to show up out of 10 bookings, so he offered us to choose the room we liked the most.

Unfortunately his wife had also twisted and ankle in Ankara so he was preoccupied with this, but our baby got to meet Ilker's dad and they had a great time together (I hope Ilker that you decided to give him a grandchild by now!).

The rooms were very comfortable, the place has a rooftop bar that has a great view at night, the pool must be great in the summer and the breakfast were the traditional turkish ones.

Overall we had a great time and would definitively recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 January 2017

this hotel was simply the best experience i have had in many years. The rooms were clean, comfortable, and nice. The breakfast was superb and included olives and fruit from the owners' farm nearby. The location was amazing--a five-minute walk to the Basilica of St. John and the Ayasoluk, five minutes to the Ephesus Museum, fiteen to the Temple of Artemis. The ancient city of Ephesus was ten minutes by taxi.

The owners are the crowning jewel of the hotel. Ilker and his wife know the city like the back of their hand and know every restaurant, market, and event. They made it very easy for us to enjoy everything about Selcuk. If they didn't know an answer, there was no guessing. They went with us and found the answer. My son and I had a wonderful trip and will stay at the Nazar Hotel every time we are in Ephesus.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 December 2016

This was our second stay at what must be the best small hotel in Turkey. We were picked up at Izmir airport by the friendly owner, Ilker, who remembered us from several years ago like long-lost friends.

The Nazar Hotel is a boutique hotel ideally situated in Selcuk 3 minutes walk from the Main Street. You can easily walk to the Basilica of St John, the historic Isa Bey mosque, the ruins of the Temple of Artemis... Even Ephesus is only 10 minutes by car or a half hour walk. And Selcuk is such a friendly place with a weekly market that takes over most of the town.

The hotel is tastefully decorated in Turkish decor and the rooms are very comfortable (nice modern bathrooms) with some having wonderful views of the ancient castle. Breakfasts are great, but best of all is the customer service. Ilker and his wife were in the tourism business for years before purchasing the hotel and are passionate about Turkey. Their local knowledge and contacts are exceptional and they can organise just about anything you can imagine.

We spent a week at the hotel, exploring the local district. We've only scratched the surface so will be going back in the near future for our third visit.

Unfortunately tourism isn't doing well even in this quiet part of Turkey, but honestly just go! And stay at the Nazar Hotel!!

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms have great views of the old castle
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2016

Safe, conveniently located, clean, superb customer service, and knowledgeable staff are what I found at Hotel Nazar. I traveled to Turkey alone with the idea to make friends, create breathtaking memories, and experience something new. Thankfully, the hotelier and his wife are both former tour guides who strive to excel in making tourists’ dreams come true in Turkey. After meeting Ilker (hotel owner) and his staff, I decided to check out of my first hotel in Selcuk and stay at his hotel. It was the best decision I made. I sat down with the owner and told him what I wanted to experience in Turkey—Ephesus Tour, Hot Air Ballooning in Cappadocia, and several lazy days on the Aegean Sea, without breaking my budget. Ilker, which means ‘first man’ in Turkish, helped to create the most memorable Turkish vacation for me. His hotel is authentic and refined. I spent many hours swimming in the crystal blue waters of the pool and his family even drove me to the Aegean seaside town of Kusadasi for a relaxing time on the beach! The rooms are tidy and Ayce, the housekeeper, is very sweet and helpful. She did my laundry and I was thankful. Hotel Nazar was not the first place I stayed in the area, but I will certainly come again in the very near future. I love Turkey!!!

Room Tip: Hotel has free wifi but there were no televisions in the room
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo