“Wonderful, family run establishment!”
Review of Hotel Nazar

Hotel Nazar
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Selcuk
Reviewed 16 September 2011

The Hotel Nazar is a delightfully small hotel, wonderfully run by Osmun and his family. They great you warmly at the door upon arrival, and continually take care of you for the rest of your stay. The rooms are fastidiously clean and the food, all homemade. Almost all rooms have a/c and the crowning glory is the incredible garden with a pool!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank jteaches

Reviewed 6 September 2011

Our family (with 3 teenager) spend 10 days in Turkey, on the Egean coast. We had planned to stay 2 nights in the hotel, but we finally stayed 3 night, and came back for a 4 night, beacause we were very happy of the hotel.
Our first criteria, before coming, was the swimming pool (very important when you visit antic site under the summer heat), but we were very happy of the cleanliness of the hotel, by the simple and clear decoration. The roof terrace (beatiful view on the castle) and the patio is also nice. Breakfast is good and abundant. The hotel is run by a family, which make the relationship more friendly than in a hotel from an international corporation. This family did his best to help us and to make our stay comfortable. Selcuk is also quite central to visite Efes, to go to the beach, to visite Priene, Millet, may be Dydima.
Most of the people speak a correct English.
In summary, you have the advantage of a pansyon (more friendly relationship), and the comfort of the swinmming pool and the decoration and the cleanliness of a good hotel.
I definitively recommand this hotel, and I will return there if I go again in Selcuk

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 September 2011

The price of the place (50 euro for a family room) indicates that it's no palace...in fact it feels like walking into a 70's time warp!
(I did have a giggle at the lime green painted walls with the red plastic lampshade & lime & orange flowered sheets...charming!)
If it's chic, modern accom you're after this place isn't for you, but again, given the price you wouldn't expect that!
The owners are soooo friendly, the place is spotless, aircon is great & wifi strong, they have a lovely clean pool to cool down in...what more could you want?!
Oh & Alice (the dog) is just gorgeous!
The area is purely residential & not much to see in the immediate surround, but it's close to Ephesus, the main reason most stay here.
Do yourself a favour & have dinner on their rooftop...18 TL for a 4 course, traditional home cooked meal...I ate there both nights I stayed & it was just delicious & a great view.
The 1 hr trip to the airport with the owner was also great value at 110 TL & the fact that he was so friendly made it very pleasant.
A great find, fabulous value, tho I must admit I'm looking forward to staying my next nights in a bit more luxury in Istanbul, but I'll also be paying thru the nose for it!

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 26 August 2011

We stayed in Nazar's family room, which was actually two separate living areas with two twin beds each, joined by a hallway and bathroom. There was an a/c in one room and both rooms had ceiling fans. It was August and hot, but the a/c did a great job of cooling both rooms.

The pool is in the back, small and clean. The hotel is located in a residential neighborhood on the hill of St. John's Basilica and our room had an excellent view (see photo). There are kids playing in the street outside the hotel, but there was not a noise problem at all. We were there during Ramadan, and there was a drummer that walks the streets just before dawn, but we barely heard him. Every 5 days, the drummer walks the street at dusk while drumming to collect his tips from the establishment owners for his "wake up" services. It's a charming tradition and we were witness to his tip collection while we were in a nearby hotel (Bella) and watched as the drummer and hotel owner sang a song they both knew as he was collecting his tip. Their love of life was evident and refreshing.

Osman and Asim, the owners of Nazar, were very helpful and friendly to us. In fact, when we left, they said my son could come back and swim in their pool when we stayed at Hotel Bella since Bella didn't have a pool. It's like a true "neighborhood" feeling between these nearby hotels in Selcuk.

Breakfast on their beautiful terrace was AWESOME! Omelettes cooked right there in the rooftop kitchen and delivered fresh and hot to your table, fresh fruit, french bread, preserves, cheese, cucumbers, olives, yogurt, muesli, coffee...we loved it! And, it was included in the price of the room. We ate on the terrace looking up at St. John's Basilica in one direction and watching an older woman fold cloth on her rooftop next to her drying chili peppers in another. A glimpse into the daily life of the small Turkish town of Selcuk.

The owner has a black lab-type 16 month old dog named Alice they keep on a chain in the backyard most of the time. But the night we stayed, I left early in the morning to walk to a nearby ATM (many of these small B&Bs do not accept cash) and Alice was waiting just outside the hotel in the small street when I came out. She immediately joined me on my walk, and though I asked her multiple times if she was permitted to wander like this, she just wagged her tail and kissed my hand, which I took as a "yes". She stayed right by my side for the 5 min walk and waited while I withdrew enough TL for the room. Then, together we walked up the hill to chat w/ the owner of Hotel Bella. Although the door to Bella was open, Alice waited patiently outside. People came and went, but clearly, she was there waiting for me.

After 10 or so min, I came back outside and she immed. got up and off we went, back to Hotel Nazar. She was amazing...my little "guide dog" !! If you stay at Hotel Nazar, maybe you'll be lucky enough to have her as your escort too; it was a memory I will keep with me for a long, long time.

As in some other small B&B's in Selcuk, you are treated like family when you stay here at Hotel Nazar. Selcuk was like an oasis in the country of Turkey for us. We visited several Aegean cities between Istanbul and Pamukkale and Selcuk stands out as the most warm and friendly of them all. It's not as cruise-ship inundated as Kusadasi, but it has all the conveniences you'd need and is located minutes by car from Ephesus, Cave of the 7 Sleepers, House of Virgin Mary, and Adaland, Europe's largest (and totally FUN) waterpark. You can walk to St. John's Basilica, the (single reconstructed column of the) Temple of Artemis, Ephesus museum, the train & bus stations, and the small city center of Selcuk where you will find plenty of great, inexpensive food. We loved the sidewalk fruit stands!

If you're planning a trip during the busy summer season, I would book your Selcuk accommodation earlier rather than later if possible...esp if you need a family room. There are not many rooms, and they are popular. If Ephesus is your destination, THIS is the place you want to be!! At Hotel Nazar, Osman and Asim will take care of you, and maybe you'll get a free tour from Alice too!

Room Tip: Family rooms are great - but book early
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank luv2flyplaces
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Osman and his family run a fantastic guest house. The breakfast is hearty, the facilities are clean, and the pool is refreshing. We arrived quite late, but they held the room for us without a deposit, and were able to arrange a wonderful guided tour of the sights for the very next morning.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends