Sultanahmet Suites
Ast Hotel(Istanbul)
  • Restaurant
Diva's Hotel(Istanbul)
View Hotel
All reviewsmanager denizgrand bazaarblue mosqueturkeyminute walkdeluxe suitemain buildingcleaned dailyhagia sophiasultanahmet areano liftvisiting istanbulapartmentmicrowavetouristattractionswallpaper
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 January 2012

We stayed here for a week over the New Year period for 130E per night. Our family of five squeezed into a standard suite – one bedroom, one sofa bed in the lounge/kitchen area and a single fold out bed which we chose to put in the hallway.
Pros
Helpful staff and good location. We think it is better to stay in the Sultanahmet area rather than near Taksim Square as most of the main sites are in the old city. This saves time on travel and allows a return home during day to drop off purchases etc.
It is easy and much cheaper to get the tram and train to the airport compared to a taxi. The nearest tram stop is short but steep walk uphill to Divan Yolu Caddesi.
Short mostly uphill walk to Hippodrome, lots of restaurants around. Quiet area of town. Good bathroom. There is a café downstairs but we did not need it. Breakfast seemed expensive when cheap street food is readily available.
Cons
The kitchen was ill equipped in terms of utensils/crockery/cutlery but did have a microwave and four hot plates. It was hard to cook a decent meal but nice to be able to make breakfast and tea at will. The walls are extremely thin with no hope of sleeping through the 6.15am prayer call. We could hear movement from upstairs clearly.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank ozzie5melbourne
Reviewed 27 December 2011

I stayed twice. The only downsides were that the first room was across the street from a hostel that had a barking dog. The second room did not have hot water; after no one could figure it out, I was moved to another room. This is why I ranked this four dots instead of five.
Overall, it was a very good experience and I would return. These are called suites but not regular room sized. However, they did have a kitchen sink, coffee and tea pots, burners and a small refrigerator.
Sultanahmet is spread among four buildings which have been beatifully restored. Bed is very comfortable and the overall facilities are very nice. There is no breakfast included, but that is fine with me because I paid only $40 a night and there were good places nearby.
Location is excellent for tourist attractions. The people who work there were helpful. Again, if I head to Istanbul again, I would not thing twice about staying there again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Tim O
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Travelled here in the off-season. I booked this place online after favorable reviews. The only downside was that there was a slight funk in the bathroom. This was not an issue as we were able to keep the odor contained with the door. And its generally a non issue, as it is Europe, and really if you are traveling any city around Europe you need to be okay with slightly suspect smells. Enough of that though. the staff were uber helpful, the place was a short walk to most of the attractions, yet not on too busy of a street so we could go to normal priced kebab shops and bakeries. Had my laundry done by a lady down the street. And easy (relatively) parking ( 5 lira/day) within a block. We had a balcony and a view over the sea. It was beautiful.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank KeithPDX
Reviewed 11 November 2011

I work as a hotel manager which means my expectations about hotel service when I'm on vacations are high. My friends and I stayed at Sultanahmet Suites Diamond Building and the experience was magnificent! We were a total of 4 and stayed comfortably in the standard suite for 9 nights. I want to start mentioning that the staff was very friendly and helpful. Maid provided clean and fresh towels every day. The bathroom was always impecable same as bed sheets. Kitchennette includes microwave, small stove, mini fridge, and sink.

The hotel is located upon walking distance from the Hippodrome, Blue Mosque, Ayasofya Museum, Topkapi Palace, and Basilica Cistern, among others. If you are staying for many nights you may buy groceries at a nearby mini market. Also there are many restaurants around. Our favorite restaurant was BB'Q House (american name but totally turkish) located in the same street as the Basilica Cistern.

Overall experice...Fabuleux! We are planning to return to Istanbul again in February and definitely staying at Sultanahmet Suites.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank nomadinwanderlust
Reviewed 8 November 2011

Stayed in the Emerald building of suites. Penthouse. Wonderful view from the terrace but no comfortable furniture to sit and enjoy it. Park benches. Suite is large and comfortable and well furnished. The little things added up for the mark of 3 stars. Batteries in remotes were dead, light bulbs missing, terrace door does not lock, could only get wi-fi on the bar stool in the kitchen, drapes kept falling off of the rods and the foul foul smell of sewage in the bathroom. Unbearable. Put towels and dishes over the bathroom drains and seemed to help. They do not use traps for some reason.
They charge for breakfast which did not look that great. Most hotels include a fantastic Turkish breakfast. Friends stayed in the basement room (also nice but very small) but again the sewage smell was not good and stayed only one night. Nice apartments but could do to look at the details and do something about the bathroom sewage smell- an easy fix. Happy Travels.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple