“Great stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #319 of 1,114 Hotels in Istanbul
New York, NY
“Great stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

We read all the fabulous reviews before we booked and Sebnem met our sky high expectations.
Rooms are simple and small, but hardly claustrophobic, and very clean. Breakfast food was plentiful, with lots of variety, most of it very good. The terrace is a terrific place to drink morning coffee or tea and plan your day. Location is great, within easy walking distance to Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia and Topkapi Palace. Room rates are very reasonable--Consider that the Four Seasons Istanbul is barely a block away, and other than maybe a larger room, it's got nothing on this place.
Finally, the staff here make this otherwise 4-star a 5: They're super helpful with luggage, directions and all the other usual niceities. When I came down with food poisoning (definitely avoid the kebap plate at Pudding Shop!), one of the kitchen staff went out of his way to bring me a warm hydrating tea and ice when I could barely muster the energy to even talk. Everyone took a turn to check in and ask if I needed anything. Very much appreciated this!

• Stayed November 2011
3 Thank rs695

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

Had two rooms here for two nights and the hotel was a fantastic choice.

Very central in the old town but that can be said of hundreds of similar small hotels.

What made this a great choice was:

- clean and tastefully designed bedrooms, there was a quirky style, with a modern bathroom. One of the rooms was smaller but adequate for a city break, the other was larger with a four poster and another bed.

- the lounge / breakfast terrace was accessible all day and the staff were welcoming any time of day, Mr Cappuccino man was very warm and funny. With an inside and outside area we could not have asked for more. The Wifi was slick.

- the breakfast was great. Only a small selection on the savoury buffet but this was ample and good quality. The bread and cake section was excellent with most being made freshly each day. The coffee was excellent with a choice not dissimilar from a cafe and there was a wide selection of teas.

Would not hesitate to recommend it to friends.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Welsh-gadabout
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

My husband and I spent 2 nights here at the beginning of our trip to Turkey and then another 6 nights at the end of our trip 5 weeks later. We loved this hotel - peaceful, efficient, friendly staff, great breakfasts and wonderful view of the Bosphorus from the roof top dining area. It is within very easy walking distance of the Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque and also the tram.
The friendly desk staff will help you with anything including car hire, airport transers and pickups, booking tours, instructions for the tram tokens, and storing items posted back to the hotel so we didn't have to carry them around Turkey!
The roof top is a lovely place to relax and enjoy a drink looking over the Bosphorus. Breakfast is fresh and delicious and includes home made pastries and cakes as well as the usual Turkish breakfast spread. The free wifi and computers is an added bonus.
We stayed in a double room for the first 2 nights which was fine, but I recommend paying a little more for a garden room with a courtyard as it's bigger and opens onto your own private couryard.
We'll definitely stay here next time we visit Istanbul.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank campbells05
Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2011

We began our trip in Turkey by staying in the Sultanahmet area at the Sebnem Hotel. They arranged transportation from the airport for us which went well. This is in a great location on a quiet dead-end street close to many restaurants and within easy walking distance to the Hagia Sophia and the tram line. Our room was small but clean and the bathroom was very functional with full-time hot water. The breakfast buffet was excellent and served on the top floor with an amazing view over the water. I was a bit chilly but during warmer weather it would be a great place to dine outside. The staff was exceptional and everyone spoke great english. They were very helpful and full of excellent recommendations. Late one evening, I was having problems getting on line (they have 3 laptops available for use) and two of the staff sat with me and offered assistance on how to use the Turkish keyboard and set up a new Google account. I would recommend this hotel due to the location and the amazing staff who made our stay so pleasant.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nagel
Europe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2011

My choice of the Sebnem Hotel is a result of relying on TripAdvisor. And now, after my stay, in October, I can confirm that it was an excellent choice. To put it in other words: all reviews I had read about this hotel turned out to be right.

I had been in Istanbul in 2009 and I had already identified the area where I wanted to sleep next time I came. Fortunately the Sebnem Hotel is located in this area, very close to the Blue Mosque, the Hagia Sophia, the Topkapi Palace and the Basilica Cistern.
A little further away but still easy to reach by foot are -to the West- the Grand Bazaar, the Çemberlitaş Turkish baths, the University of Istanbul and several mosques like the big Süleymaniye Mosque; and to the North, i.e. down to the harbour, the Gülhane Park, the main train station (in one of its rooms, in the evening, it is possible to see a Sema ceremony with whirling Dervishes), the Hodjapasha Cultural Center (this is another place where it is possible to see a Sema ceremony with whirling Dervishes –no pictures allowed), the Spice Bazaar, the Yeni Mosque and the Galata Bridge.
In additon to all these tourist attractions, the small street of this hotel is very quiet because cars cannot drive through it. So the location is great (and obviously, there are many, many restaurants all around).

With reference to the hotel, this is not a high building at all, as it has just a ground floor and two other floors. It does not have either many rooms (at least I didn’t see many, just a handful), which means that the atmosphere is also quiet, relaxed and pleasant. The tiled floor of the common areas like reception, the stairs, the corridors and the breakfast terrace is very clean. The rooms are also very, very clean. Our room (I say “our” because I came with my father) had a cosy wooden floor and everything was spotless. I’ll try to attach the pictures I took so that readers can see it. We found it very comfortable, well equipped, spacious enough and we enjoyed a very good sleep quality.
About the view, well..., from our room (#16) we could only see the street but room #18 does have a partial view out to the Marmara Sea. However, if you climb to the partially glass covered roof terrace where breakfast is served, you will enjoy a good view over the sea. It is also here where they have a couple of laptops that guests can use for free to access internet (next to the reception they also have a PC with access to internet).

Talking about the roof terrace let me mention that one of the reasons to choose this hotel was the good reports I read about the breakfast, a subject which I consider crucial. Happily for my stomach, the reports were right, as you can see in the 2 attached pictures of the breakfast buffet that my father took. Let me just add that together with the breakfast, they serve you a jug with a delicious mix of fruit juices which seems to be responsibility of a very polite man that prepares it and brings it to your table. By the way, the rest of the staff like Cesar, Serkan and the others (sorry for not remembering all names) were always very nice and very helpful. They are a great crew.

And well..., these are my impressions which I hope will help other readers to choose a place to sleep. From my side I just hope to stay again some day at this cosy hotel (but not in October, as the weather was cloudy and rainy. Apparently May and June are the best months to visit Istanbul).

Room Tip: Room #18 has a partial view out to the Marmara Sea.