“Earthly paradise in Istanbul”

Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet
Ranked #15 of 1,155 Hotels in Istanbul
Panama City, Panama
“Earthly paradise in Istanbul”
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Some might called it Shangri-La or Nirvana, well, it seems it is located in Istanbul at Sultanahmet. First time visit to Istambul, arrived very late at the hotel after a long transoceanic flight. We were greeted by name at the hotel entrance, no check inn at the lobby, we were inmediatly guided to our room. The room was impecable, everything in order, plus a nice selection or Turquish deserts for our arrival. The hotel is very quiet, perfect pairing for that lovely Four Seasons bed. The grounds of the hotel are full of flowers and small plants, that complement the heavenly atmosphere of the hotel. Everyone on the staff was always a step ahead to serve you, again, greeted by name and always made fell welcome and in the right place in Istambul. All culinary aspects are excellent, the choice ranges from local dishes and spices, to international flavors for the less adventurous. Our only regret at this hotel, is that our visit was too short. For the discriminating traveller, looking for only the best in every sense, this is your address at Istambul. We will return.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We often stay at the Ritz Carlton and happened upon this hotel because the Ritz was booked. We are so happy with that turn of events, as the Four Seasons Sultanahmet is easily one of the best hotels we have ever experienced. From the moment we spoke with them with questions about our stay, not one detail was overlooked including the driver from the airport who assisted us with in room check in (a real treat after 17 hour journey), a welcome amenity for our 12 year old daughter, impeccably appointed room and bathroom with a view of the Haigha Sophia, daily treats left in our room, a beautiful breakfast buffet with lovely and attentive wait staff, and the list goes on. This hotel is ideally situated and although we were worried it didn't have a pool, we ended up being glad it didn't as there is so much to enjoy in Istanbul. We are looking forward to returning soon.

Room Tip: Not sure there is a bad room in the hotel. Ours was very quiet (though you could hear the call to p...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
FelixMurillo, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet, responded to this review, 1 April 2012
Dear dhkklk,

I am very gratefull for your kind words. My name is Felix Murillo, I am the General Manager of the Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet.

dhkklk, If may ever be of assistance please let me know. My direct email address is felix.murillo@fourseasons.com

I look forward to welcome you back to Sultanahmet and the Four Seasons. With your permission I want to share your comments with the team.

Yours cordially,

Chicago-Netherlands
Reviewed 29 March 2012

This was our first trip to Istanbul and friends who had lived in there recommended the Four Seasons. When I made the reservations, I mentioned that the trip was to celebrate my husband's birthday. The hotel went out of their way to make the trip memorable; when we checked in, the manager came out to give my husband birthday wishes, and we were upgraded to a suite. At dinner in the restaurant (which is pricey but great food), our meal was finished with a beautiful birthday cake; all of course, very discreetly done. It is these personal touches that makes the Four Seasons worth it.

The hotel itself is beautiful and the rooms quiet and comfortable; the service, as other reviews indicate, unsurpassed. Turkish people overall are so hospitable; one evening we were trying to locate an out of the way restaurant, and rather than get a taxi, the doorman, who was leaving for the day, drove us on his way home! At that same restaurant, the waiter, who spoke only limited English, was charming and attentive and ensured that we knew how to navigate back to the hotel.

Istanbul itself is an unforgettable city. The historic and cultural sites are not to be missed and the Four Seasons is in a perfect location for sightseeing. We walked almost everywhere, and were happy to come back and relax in our suite, where we found daily treats at teatime.

Overall, there is a warmth and appreciation for visitors in Istanbul that we have not found in other cities. We always felt safe, regardless of the hour, and even when no one spoke English, there was no barrier in communicating in restaurants or cafes. We have traveled extensively, and this hotel and Istanbul are some of our favorites.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear KAB100,

It is very special that you took the time to write about your experience at the Hotel. It was really nice to have you with us and I am very happy that you left with good memories.

You know that I am available if you need any assistance in the future, please let me know. My direct email address is felix.murillo@fourseasons.com

Yours respectfully,

New York, NY
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Our family enjoyed a 6 night stay in March. The hotel offers the historic character of being a former prison looking out onto the Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque and Topkapi Palace while also offering all the modern and luxurious amenities of a Four Seasons hotel (soft linens, fast wi-fi, immaculate housekeeping, fresh flowers, fresh fruit, etc.).

Every staff member we met was kind, helpful and welcoming. They took wonderful care of us in numerous ways, but I will mention two examples that especially touched us:
First, someone in housekeeping sewed four buttons onto a shirt that I had never gotten around to mending - without our even asking. They notice the smallest detail. And secondly, one morning I was running very late and missed the end of breakfast. When I went to the restaurant to meet my family (who had made me a small plate of food), the waiter noticed the selection and suggested that he ask the chef to make me a fresh plate of warm scrambled eggs as mine must be cold already. It is this kind of thoughtfulness which we appreciate so much. The staff were so professional and genuinely kind, including the concierges who were more than happy to answer many questions and offer good advice. The attitude of all the staff made our visit very relaxing and enjoyable.

I would highly recommend this hotel to friends and family. We brought our two children (11 and 14), and while there were not many kids at the hotel while we were there, they were made to feel welcome as well. The only thing missing that they would have enjoyed is an indoor swimming pool.

One last tip- if you are interested in textiles (embroidery, ikat, wovens) or carpets or kilims, go visit Mehmet Cetinkaya's Gallery very near the hotel (5 min walk just past the Arasta Bazaar). They have a wonderfully edited collection of pieces, some museum quality. The owner is an international authority, and his gallery is unique - not to be confused with the myriad of carpet and kilim stores everywhere.

Room Tip: The hotel has 4 floors, the 2nd and 3rd having the highest ceilings and biggest windows. Views were...
1 Thank Gothampanda
Dear GOTHAMPANDA,

WOW! Thank you very much. You know we always work very hard to reach the hearts of our guests and when it happens... When the small details arrive... And even more, you take the time to write about them... The feeling is great, awesome!!.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your kind words. I am Felix, the General Manager.

I want to remain and be available should I may ever be of assistance. My direct email address is felix.murillo@fourseasons.com

Yours Cordially,

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Staying at the Four Seasons Sultanahmet was the best decison we made. The hotel is beautiful and the staff are wonderful. It is walking distance to all the historical sites. Can't say enought about the what a great experience we had there. Would love to go back to this beautiful city.

Dear Melanie E.,

We were very lucky that you decided for us and very thankfull for your kind words.

Please let me know if I may ever be of assistance. My direct email address is felix.murillo@fourseasons.com

Yours cordially,