“Hungry in the Grand Bazaar”
Review of Havuzlu Restaurant

Havuzlu Restaurant
Ranked #418 of 15,485 Restaurants in Istanbul
Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Grand Bazaar
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Location - tucked away in the narrow alleys of the grand bazaar - its easiest to find if you enter from Gate 7 which is closest to the tram stop main line. Ambience - nice fresh clean stone walls , warm interiors , nice vibe . People - friendly , just point to what you want on the display and they will get you the same or use the menu . Food - lokanta style but a little upmarket as its not cheap , you need to pay for the waiters and the beautiful setting ! Food - We had the chickpeas , Spinach with yogurt , meat stew , rice , a cheesy veggie lasagne - all of which were fulfilling and tasty . See we Indians love Spice so if you need to spice it up just use the chilli flakes they give you they do the job just fine . The food is fresh , service is good , nice to relax talk and rest your tired feet after running around in circles of the grand bazaar .

Reviewed 28 February 2018 via mobile

simple and nice place. good food. average service. you entre, you choose your food, they bring it to you table. inside the grand bazaar.

Reviewed 21 February 2018 via mobile

I was looking for a place to eat before going to Kapali Carsi, and as this restaurant had really good reviews I decided to have lunch there. I'm so glad I made that decision.

This place is very clean, well run and provides great service, and to top it up, food is amazing! I opted for veggie dishes and had the best eggplant and green beans dish in my life. As I mentioned, the place is very clean, I watched them change tablecloths after guests leave, to prep the table for next ones. Also, they bring bread in baskets covered crispy clean napkins!! You really don't get that at restaurants these days.

I am definitely going back to this restaurant next time I'm in Istanbul.

Reviewed 7 January 2018

...in the heart of the Grand Bazaar, coupled with the fact that you can at last sit down, makes this canteen anything other than sub-par. Over-lit, noisy and rather down-at-heel, it has a certain local charm, but the food is mass produced, mass sold and mass eaten by mostly tourists. If you are tired and hungry and are dying to get off your feet if only for half an hour, it is fine, indeed more than fine, it is the only place in the entire bazaar where you can get a sort of proper meal. No alcohol until the evening is curiously hypocritical, but manageable.

Reviewed 28 December 2017

We came here based on the recommendation of our rug salesman and we loved it. Traditional Turkish food in a 560-year-old bazaar. You can't beat that.

When we first entered the restaurant, we were greeted by a host/waiter. He took us to the counter where all the available dishes are displayed. We chose what we wanted and let him know. He, then, took us to our table. The process was pretty simple. Deciding between all the great dishes was not. I'd definitely recommend getting different dishes to share. We were in a hurry and too full for dessert but the display looked great.

Once you're in the Grand Bazaar, it's a full-day commitment. So might as well take a lunch break somewhere that offers good service, good food, and an authentic atmosphere.