“Home away from home!!!”

Ranked #22 of 1,135 Hotels in Istanbul
Austin, Texas
“Home away from home!!!”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

From the minute we arrive till our last day in Istanbul the staff at Basileus hotel took care of us.
Every morning Fatih greeted us with a smile and a great breakfast. The staff at the Basileus hotel(Ekram, Usaf, Omer, Mehmet, Maharram, and Mustafa) go out of their way to make you feel at home. They were also a great resource for recommending restaurants and places to visit in Istanbul.This hotel is also close to all the main historical monuments and the Tram. After having a busy day of sightseeing and shopping we were sometimes to tired to go out to eat and the staff would helps us by recommending and calling restaurants for take out. Next to the hotel is a small convenient store where we would get our beverages( including a good selection of Turkish wine). Close to the hotel are several bakeries where they have fresh bread all day and good pastries.
The rooms were clean and spacious. We were there for seven days and housekeeping always maintained our room with fresh clean linen and towels.
The staff at Basileus hotel made our visit to Istanbul a great experience. Maharram and Mehmet were always so eager to share their knowledge of Turkish history and culture.They went out of their way to take us to some of the great eateries in Istanbul.
After our great stay in Basileus Hotel we are definitely coming back to this home away from home!

3 Thank Olivia G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ahus, Sweden

We stayed 3 nights at this hotel. Familyroom 4 persons 2:nd floor

Service: Top class. Staff helps you with erverything! Also before you visit. Very fast answers on e-mails. And always a smile :) Arrangement of airport transfer worked super. And is much nicer than the taxis in Istanbul. They arranged tickets to Topkapi for us. And if you want private gudings at the attractions, they arrange it too!

Room: Absolutely clean, free soft drinks and water refilled every day. Floors made of wood. Beds are hard, but not the hardest in Europe. Saftey box in room. Schampoo soap, balsam in the toilet. Big towles! Hair dryer. No minibar, but you can find small stores beside the hotel. 2 Frensh balconies. Aircondition. Large shower cabin. Slippers. My oppinion, 4 star standard.

Breakfast: Nice assortemnt of fruits, cheese, olives, bread, pancakes, yoghurts, turkish specialities, coffe, tea etc. They make omelettes and coffee after your choice! Superb!
Location: in Old town and a few steps from the top attractions. About 5-10 min walking distance.
Other. Bagage room, small lobby with lovely ottoman furnitures, and decorated roofs.

We will defenately stay here again! We loved it very much. If you are the person which is tired of all common hotels. If you like when it is more small and not looks like everything else. More personal service and typical style for the place you visit. Basileus is a very good choice.
It was much much better than expected!

Thanks Yusuf, Ekrem and the rest of Basileus staff!

Charlotte with family

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Lotta N
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 28 May 2012

"Taking care of your guests" acquires a completely new meaning at the Basileus. I've never experienced anything like it. During my stay, I had a close-up encounter with a cute street cat and ended up needing rabies shots. The whole staff kicked into gear to help me. First, Yusuf calmed my fears with stories of his family's experiences with rabies shots; it was reassuring to hear that they are no longer painful and entertaining, as his stories always are. Then the owners, Mehmet and Muharren stopped what they were doing to drive me around Istanbul looking for a hospital to attend to me. This was at 11:00 at night, mind you, and we went first to the best private hospital before we found that the public hospital was the correct choice. Then they insisted on accompanying me two days later for a follow-up shot, even though we had moved to a different hotel by then (owing to availabilities when reserving a month earlier)! In short, when you stay at the Basileus, they treat you as friends instead of customers. I would never stay anywhere else in Istanbul. No one can compare to the Basileus.

2 Thank Gail-Janice
Weil am Rhein
Reviewed 27 May 2012

We stayed at the Basileus hotel recently. It is a family-owned hotel. Sometimes I am not sure if the folks sitting in the hotel lobby--family or guests. Upon our arrival, we were greeted and provided some essential information which was useful. The staff was always friendly. Our room was a bit small but clean. We had a quiet room which was relative. Indeed, it was not facing the streets but you can hear the restaurant next door and cars, so I can not imagine what would happen if we were to get a room facing the streets. Location is perfect if you are going to spend most of your time in the old city because it is walking distance. Everything was fine except for breakfast. I could not bring myself to eat. I do not think the breads were fresh. It is ironic because breads are so cheap from the street vendors. Cold cuts did not look so edible and the fruit plate got worst and worst during our stay. Maybe book your without breakfast. I do not know if it is negotiable. I would skip breakfast here and get it on the streets.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NatureGuyDECH
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Not only are the rooms perfect, the breakfast amazing, and the location great, the service is beyond compare. I came with a group of friends and we ended up making friends for life with the staff. They go out of their way to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. They truly take care of ALL their guests no matter how much interaction you may have with them. Every morning they offer you omelets and Turkish coffee; if you need directions or want to take an excursion someplace they do all they can to help set it up. If you really cannot find your way, they will offer to take you or show you the way. The best part of all is that its 100% genuine. Could not ask for more!!! I will always come back and stay here on future trips to Turkey and I would recommend this hotel to all. I hate to go on and on but they truly make you feel at home and its a great atmosphere for all ages. I came back from turkey 3 days ago and already miss my friends! Thank you Basileus for impacting my trip so much and giving me a reason to come back :) I hope your business continues to flourish!

5 Thank Caroline H