1,018 results
All reviews rooftop bar hagia sophia turkey separate building bed dorm top floor main building blue mosque apple tea perfect location walking distance fresh fruit rooms are clean home away from home main attractions enjoyed my stay old city
Reviewed 20 October 2010

My friend and I booked 5 nights there, but we only spent 1.5 nights before checking out due to frustration.
We stayed in the Olive tree room, which is directly under their rooftop bar.
Upon checking-in, we were greeted by Sahmet (one of many managers there).
On the second night (a Monday night), there was loud music playing, people dancing, laughing and talking loudly after midnight (12am was quiet time in the hostel). Cigarette smoke was coming into our room (and this is a no smoking facility).
My friend and I waited until 1am before I went downstairs to the reception to ask the staff to tell the people upstairs to quiet down. He went upstairs as requested.
1:30am, there were no changes in the noise level, so I went upstairs myself. I found Sahmet behind the bar, smelling of alcohol, with a cigarette on his lips, chatting with two girls at the bar. There were approximately 6 other people there. I explained that it is really noisy and asked him to quiet down. Drunkenly he apologized and said he will quiet down.
2:30am, there was still loud talking and laughter and music playing upstairs. My friend went downstairs to ask the reception to tell them to quiet down again. The reception said he has tried and that this happens a lot and Sahmet won't listen to him.
2:35am, I went upstairs again and this time, I did not ask them to be quiet as politely as I did earlier. Sahmet and another staff member were sitting around in a circle with 6 others girls, drinking and smoking. The girls began arguing with me, saying that "this is a hostel, what do I expect?" "They are the majority" They reinforced that the manager is with them and if he is ok with this, then my friend and I have to put up with it. In the meantime, Sahmet and Salim sat in silence and shrugged their shoulders.
My friend and I became very upset and decided to check out immediately. The reception staff helped us by letting us use the phone to call around for a hotel. He went upstairs to tell Sahmet that we were checking out tonight.
By 3:30am, we found a hotel and packed our bags. The reception staff called for a taxi for us and again, went upstairs to tell Sahmet we are leaving now. We heard loud laughter and yelling (we were 3 floors down from the roof top) and the staff came down to say that Sahmet said: “Let them!”
0915, we went back to the hostel and spoke with Fatiye (another manager) and explained the situation. We requested for a refund for the remaining 3 nights (180 Euros). He was very understanding and helpful but he said he would have to talk to the owner first. He told us to come back later as the boss will be in during the day. Meanwhile, Sahmet was around. He did not acknowledge us at all.
5:00pm, We went back to the hostel. Fatiye said the owner just stepped out and to come back in an hour
6:00pm Fatiye said the owner is still not back yet. We waited outside on their patio
6:30pm We decided to call the owner ourselves. Fatiye explained that the boss doesn’t speak much English but he called him anyway. I spoke on the phone with a man who had an accent, but spoke perfect English in terms of grammar and use of vocabulary. After I explained the situation, he asked for Fatiye and Fatiye then said that the owner refused our request for a refund.
As we were explaining to Fatiye that we are at no fault, a guy name Onur passed by and became interested in the situation. He has been in and out of the hostel the entire time. He agreed that it was the staff’s fault, but it is also my friend and my fault for checking out. He said that since we waited till 4am, we should have just stayed till 8am to complain to someone of higher authority. He further explains that places don’t give refunds to guests unless there were issues such as dirty linen, no central heating, no hot water, etc.
It then became a heated discussion and I asked him who he was and if he was a person of authority. He said he was not an authoritative figure so I asked why I am talking to him, as he is unable to resolve this situation. He walked away.
Our male friend was a bystander throughout this discussion and he spoke up, explaining to Fatiye that as guests of their country, we have no power other than reviews. Before he finished his speech, Fatiye went in to talk to Onur and Sahmet.
A minute later, all 3 staff came out. Onur explains that it is not the owner’s fault, so he shouldn’t have to pay for this. He then says that it is the staff’s fault, and therefore they should compensate us. Fatiye, the only staff that has been helpful, pulled out 100 Euros from his pocket and asked us to accept their money. My friend and I became guilty as we got the only nice guy in trouble, even though he was never involved with the partying to begin with.
I said I don’t want Fatiye’s money, as it was only Sahmet who was at fault. Sahmet spoke up for the first time, saying that I was rude to the guests. Onur yelled at Sahmet and said we should resolve this amongst ourselves and left.
After 10minutes of declining Fatiye’s money, Onur returns and asked why this isn’t resolved. He then says he’s the boss (sarcastically) and he will give us back the money. He then asks, “if I give you your 180 Euros back, would you write that the hostel is great and that there were no problems?” I replied by asking if he was bribing me. He denied bribing and asked us what we want?
When my friend and I returned, they sat us down in front of paper and pen, and offered us tea. Onur begins by saying that the customers are always right and asked Sahmet to apologize. He said he was sorry while looking at Onur. Onur asked him to say it again and to look at us while doing so. Sahmet rolled his eyes and apologized again. Onur then continues by offering us compensation in a very convoluted way (i.e. buy our life insurance, pay for our hotel if we came back to the hostel). He guaranteed that it will be quiet at 1am or he will pay us back triple the amount.
In the end, Fatiye offered to take us out for dinner and Onur said he will pay for it. We accepted the offer as this ordeal has been dragging on for 2.5 hours.
As we were leaving, we noticed that there were pictures on the wall with Onur on it, I asked him why there are only pictures of him and a puppy on the wall and no other staff members, he just said they were pictures of a puppy. In hindsight, if Onur was not of any authoritative position, he sure made a lot of decisions and went into a lot of trouble in dealing with us. I then recalled that the night staff told me that the owner’s name also began with an “O”.
I cannot verify whether this Onur character is the owner or not, but whoever the owner is, he is definitely a coward for hiding behind his staff rather than dealing with the situation himself. If Onur was the owner, why did he not intervene until we mentioned writing a bad review and made us wait for him? In the end, I must say that my friend and I never enjoyed Turkey the same. Our view of Istanbul and its people will remain tainted and unpleasant.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
11  Thank bleu1128
Reviewed 10 October 2010

Cheers hosel was excellent ın the heart of Istanbuul. The staff was went the extra mıle ın guest servıce. Rooms were extremely clean and comfortable. Rates are super reasonable. The terrace bar vıew brıngs rhe hagıa sophıa to under your feet. Defınıtely ı am comıng agaın next tıme ı vısıt Istanbul. I absolutely recommend the hotel to everyone vısıtıng Istanbul.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple