1,018 results
All reviews rooftop bar hagia sophia turkey separate building bed dorm top floor main building blue mosque apple tea perfect location walking distance fresh fruit rooms are clean home away from home main attractions enjoyed my stay old city
Reviewed 15 February 2013

Stayed here with two friends during the Istanbul leg of the trip.

I would have rated this place another star higher if not for the hassle they gave us when we arrived. We booked 3 beds in the 6 room dorm. When we got there, they said they were putting us in another dorm with 5 beds. Fine with us. We get to the room, and it turns out that there is one bunk bed open and the other is a full-size bed and two of us girls are expected to sleep there for our stay!

How ridiculous is that? We paid for 3 beds and we're getting 2? There's no way that half of a full size bed is the equivalent to a single bed. If we'd been strangers who had happened to arrive at the same time, would they have still put us together like that?

Mind you, we were still getting charged the same amount of money. We argued our case, but the manager on staff didn't speak English very well and he kept saying that they had no more beds and this was the way they did things. Finally, we got him to move one of us to the other dorm room where they had a bed open and we would resolve it the next day with the daytime manager, who spoke better English.

Luckily, the next day, the manager was nice and understood our concerns and allowed us all to stay in the room, each with a bed.

The rest of the stay was fine. The beds are pretty comfortable, the breakfast is good, and the location can't be beat. You can see the Hagia Sophia from the rooftop. It is a very popular hostel though, so it's always crowded and noisy. The staff is mostly very nice, although they could tone down the unwanted flirting. And there's a very cute dog that roams around the common area during breakfast. Could use a few more bathrooms. There's always a wait in the morning. By chance I was waking up very early on my own, so I usually beat the rush, but there was already a queue outside by the time I finished.

All in all, it's not bad. Except for them trying to overcharge us.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ivyrosewater
Reviewed 14 February 2013

This hostel is everything any traveller needs whilst staying in Istanbul. It is located right in the centre of the Sultanahmed distric within walking distance of all the major sights. It is easily located and accessed by public transport and it is clean modern aesthetically pleasing. The staff are amongst the most friendly I have ever come across and are accomodating and helpful with everything. There is a real sense of community here every member of staff is as witty and sarcastic as they are friendly. The highlight of this hostel however is the bar. The rooftop bar overlooks the blue mosque and at night provides on of the most beautiful spots in the city. I will be coming back and will reccomend this hostel to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 February 2013 via mobile

I booked for an 8 dorm but somehow felt like staying in a room on my own. There was no problem to change it just then and there.
The stuff is friendly and eager to help. I travelled on my own and felt appreciated.
The loocation is great. Lot's of sighteeing is just nearby. The public transportation is just a 2 minutes walk. I prefer that kind of mobility because I don't like being ripped off from taxi drivers, especially as I am a single traveller.
I can highly recmmend Cheers Hostel. Enjoy it.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Memo333
Reviewed 11 February 2013

Really enjoy my stay at this hostel!
Stayed in both the 10 and 8-bed dorms, both were clean but not too spacious. There are two bathrooms for the 10-bed dorm on the first floor, toilets and showers are not separate so you have to wait. You can see the washrooms were renovated and are clean.
The breakfast were more than enough, contained hard boiled eggs, bread, cheese, carrots, tomatoes..
The staff were friendly, Tarik especially is very accommodating and helpful. As others have mentioned, the bar upstairs has a great view of the Aya Sofia, good place to meet people and have a couple drinks.
For location, I really liked being close to Sultanahmet. You are also very close to the tram and get anywhere in the city using it. There are a lot of restaurants in the area but they aren't great and a bit more than elsewhere. Can easily get to Takism for restaurants and pubs too.
Overall, I would come back if I was travelling to Istanbul again and would recommend them :)

Room Tip: Did both the 10-bed dorm and the 8-bed dorm, the 10-bed dorm I remember hearing the early call of prayer at 4:40am but can roll back to sleep. The 8-bed dorm may not be for early-raisers, you can hear the bar music that keeps going past midnight.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 February 2013

First off, the staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Secondly, the location couldn't be better, a short walk from Hagia Sophia. Breakfast was really nice, better than in many other hostels I've stayed in. And lastly, the roof top bar/chill area/common space is fantastic. The view of Hagia Sophia is incredible, there's a little fire place to warm up to, the seating area is nice and cozy,.. perfect really. Doubt any other hostel has a treasure such as this.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends