1,036 results
All reviews rooftop bar hagia sophia turkey dorm room separate building top floor blue mosque main building walking distance perfect location fresh fruit rooms are clean main attractions enjoyed my stay grand bazaar old city basilica cistern
Reviewed 17 April 2012

You can't beat this clean, friendly hostel for location and value. The dorm room was quiet with only a little street noise.
Check out the view of Hagia Sophia from the rooftop!

Reviewed 16 April 2012

I am unabashedly and quite honestly saying that this is the best hostel I have ever stayed at. I have travelled North America, Europe, and South Asia, and Cheers Hostel is the best I have seen. The property is as central as it gets, the rooms are very comfortable, safe, and clean. I had a Blackberry, iPad, and camera with me and never felt they were I danger (the provided locking cabinets also helped). The staff is beyond friendly, going to great lengths to make every moment of every day one to remember. They have organised tours, boat rides, walking tours, and meals for us. One of my party is a vegetarian and they went out of their way to help us find or cook vegetarian food. There is free wifi everywhere, and a very comfortable bar upstairs, complete with an awe-inspiring view of the Hagia Sophia. There were people staying here young and old, proving that this hostel is not just for the backpacker....I would have no issue bringing my family here for another trip. We were here for 6 nights and found the ability to have both quiet nights of reading, as well as more enjoyable nights of meeting fellow travelers in the rooftop bar. I would recommend this hostel to anyone who wants to stay here, anytime; and I spend a lot of time reading these reviews before staying somewhere. Not to mention, who doesn't want to spend 6 days with Bijou, the hostel's resident Golden Retriever! Cheers is definitely the smart choice.

Room tip: They offer both private and dorm rooms.
Reviewed 14 April 2012

My experience of Turkey and Istanbul will always be tainted by my experience with the owner of this hostel. Whilst the rest of the staff are lovely (Tariq is a gent) the owner is a sleazy, arrogant and calculating character who seems to be willing to go to any length to get his way, regardless of the impact on others. Think DODGY FACIAL HAIR and you have your DODGY CHARACTER…. A much easier way to recognise him than by name as he doesn’t like to give that out - probably a smart move given the number reviews online that report a sleazy man/owner at this hostel. Ladies, whilst many of you may interpret your conversations with this guy as banter or harmless flirting (as have many others in their reviews), be coy – especially with your drinks and getting drunk here. Read other reviews with caution. Yes, the location and the view from the terrace are great, the coffee is really good and the rooms are fine but these are all superficial details. Just how many of the reviews are actually genuine is questionable as guests who have engaged in conversation with people here are repeatedly asked to write reviews on the hostel there and then as they “have free internet access”.
Enjoy Istanbul, but most of all, do not let a negative experience get in the way of your holiday or have you vowing never to return to the country again.

1  Thank Daisy36510
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I stayed here with my fiancee and my father in April 2012. It has an excellent location. About 5min. from Aya Sofia. We stayed in the building across the street from the main office in a private room (called Chestnut I think). It was quiet and comfortable (although Wifi wouldn't reach us).
The staff were excellent. Very helpful in planning excursions around the city. They have a great rooftop bar with views of Aya Sofia and cozy couches.
I would definitely recommend this place.

Room tip: Rooms in the building across the road are a bit quieter than the ones in the main building.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Lovely people and very welcoming staff. Hostel is clean and there is a really nice atmosphere around. I could highly recommend it.