“Cheers Hostel! Your home away from home in Istanbul!”
Review of Cheers Hostel

Cheers Hostel
Ranked #3 of 1,195 Speciality Lodging in Istanbul
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
“Cheers Hostel! Your home away from home in Istanbul!”
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Can't say enough nice things about Cheers Hostel! But here are a few. The staff and service are on par with the best hotels I've stayed at in the past. But beyond knowing your name and asking how you are doing, the staff become your best friends and even, dare I say it, your family. The rooms were some of the cleanest I've stayed in and the beds are very comfortable, to the point where I had trouble getting up in the morning. The breakfast is good enough to have a great start to the day and unlike most hostels, is served late enough for the party crowd that likes to sleep in. If you want a lounge with a spectacular view this is the place to be.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Pascal T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Reviewed 21 January 2012

The rooms are super clean, the breakfast is standard fare and solid, the inn-keepers are great and the vibe is just right. I had a good feeling about this place and so far so good. Would recommend to anyone. Definitely worth checking out!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Sydney
Reviewed 18 January 2012

I say the above statement purely based on how well we were treated by the owners. They really made my girlfriend and I feel like family. They were also very honest.

They would remember the names of almost everyone in the hostel, and would try to interact with everyone. The hostel itself has a lot of charm to it, and the facilities are quite good. We were upgraded to an almost empty dorm which had a double bed in it, because the owner (Tarek) felt sorry for us being a couple and sleeping in the 10 person dorm (we had no problems in it!). We were charged the same rate.

The rooftop bar has great views of the Hagia Sofia. I also like the hostel dog! There is a good ratio of people to bathrooms. Cleanliness of the place in general was also good. Free breakfast, but i missed all 3 of them because I was too hungover to move.

Location is a stone's throw from all the major attractions, however you might want to also consider staying in the Taksim area to experience the less touristy side of Istanbul.

If something had to be improved it could be that the showers could be revamped, but they are still quite adequate.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NicolasGT
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Reviewed 14 January 2012

The staff are really friendly and helpful - which really makes the hostel what it is. The bar upstairs has a great vibe and a great view. The location is also great - walk outside and you can see the Hagia Sophia at the end of the street. Breakfast, tea and coffee all good. All rooms except one seem awesome (if you're in the tiny room in the second building under the stairs do your best to change out of it)!!! And wifi didn't work in our room.
Otherwise perfect.

Room Tip: Avoid double bed, shared bathroom room. Pay that little bit extra for the room with private bathroom...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Stayed in a 6-bed female dorm in Cheers Hostel for 2 nights in late December 2011.

I arrived at the hotel before 7 am due to early flight arrival. I understood the hostel had 24-hour reception (correct me if I am wrong) so as I saw nobody in the reception, I just rang the bell. But no one came. I waited and kept ringing for a few more times and at 8 am, a guest came back to the hostel and helped me in by banging the door loudly to wake the staff who had been sleeping on the couch next to the reception counter. Well, it was just a communication issue...

The hostel was very kind to offer me breakfast on that morning to which I wasn't entitled. Good hospitality!

The dorm room was clean, shower and toilet were clean too. The heating and shower pressure were okay.

Overall for the cheap price I paid, the hostel was very reasonably comfortable.

Just one thing which made me hesitated to return was that, when one of the staff was leading me to my room, he asked whether I have a boyfriend. I didn't feel very comfortable with such a personal question from a stranger male but I didn't want to be impolite so I just said 'hey my backpack is so heavy would you pls showing me which bed is mine first?' Then he showed my bed but kept asking... I told him I am engaged, and here it came his follow-up question - how many kisses did you have - come on... at that point I was a bit annoyed but I laughed 'haha so many that I forget' He then laughed too and left me alone.

The staff might have no offence or he thought he was making a joke or sthg; but due to cultural difference, I didn't feel very comfortable with this small incident.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo