Cheers Hostel
Neorion Hotel(Istanbul)
USD 101*
USD 93*
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsrooftop barhagia sophiaturkeybed dormtop floorblue mosquemain buildingapple teaperfect locationwalking distancerooms are cleanhome away from homeenjoyed my staymain attractionsold cityturkish breakfastgrand bazaar
Reviewed 30 April 2011

cheers hostel is one of the most friendly places i have stayed. the staff go way more than what is expected of them. few examples: free wifi everywhere in the hostel. free towels if u ask for them, missed brekky one morning and they were happy to help me and gave me food and a cup of tea and as much as i wanted!, i was on my own for 4 nights here and they were so helpful.. one night one of the staff took me out for tea and dancing in another part of Istanbul just so i could see the culture, absolutely amazing and no strings attached i felt totally comfortable... i also hurt foot whilst there on my last day and they were so generous - brought me in food to my room. the rooms are spacious, the showers always have hot water and it is clean clean clean!!!! it is a little hard to find cause it is down an alley away from the main streets and tourist area but it is only a 5-10min walk away.. the roof top bar has a beautiful view and is very cozy. i would stay here again anytime and i have made friends for life. a massive thankyou to Samet and all the staff at Cheers Hostel :)

Room Tip: try and get the bottom floor room!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 April 2011

Great hostel! Location was perfect, close to public transport, shops and museums. Room was clean, only problem was the lack of space for clothes. There were lockers, but small ones. Great tarrace, with beautiful view. The staff was very kind, friendly and willing to help with tips how to get around the city, what is interesting to see and similar stuff. They are probably the main reason why I’m writing this review. I would like to give another light on the evening, which led to the bad review named “noisy hostel”. It’s true that we were up after quiet time and because of that some other guests were not able to fall asleep. The music, at one point, was turned off and we were just talking and laughing. But I have to point up that there were quite a number of guests present on that “party” and just one guest (probably the author of review) asked us to quiet down. The staff didn’t do anything wrong. On the contrary! If they told everyone to go to their rooms, they would probably have more than one bad review written on this page. So they did the best thing they could – joined us, while working and serving us with drinks. I know that it wasn’t ok to stay up after quiet time, but I think that it wouldn’t be ok to “chase away” larger number of guests (which are having fun, and spending money in hostel’s bar) so that one guest can have a good night sleep. After all, it’s a youth hostel, where you can expect people staying up late and talking. We stayed there for a week, and that night was the only one when quiet time rule was broken.
So I would recommend this hostel to everyone visiting Istanbul!

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed 17 February 2011

I've traveled solo in 27 countries and every state in the USA, staying in a variety of hostels along the way, and Cheers was absolutely one of the best.

Foremost was the location. Perfect. Can walk most places, take a cab or figure out the bus system. It is a ways from the airport, but in my opinion that’s not where you want to be anyways. Everything is near Cheers that you really want to see, and I walked most places.

Next was the customer service. All the staff was very friendly and took great care of me; especially Jess, Samet and the owner, Onur. Onur went so far as to observe that I didn't feel well, gave me Alka-Seltzer and proceeded to cook me (and the rest of whomever was around in middle of the day) a wonderful meal. Breakfast was the best I’ve had at a hostel. The staff gave excellent suggestions about touring and connected me with Walkabout Travel, which was right around the corner (and awesome!) Internet was in the lobby and I think free and usually accessible. I was traveling solo but quickly made friends with the staff and actually will be lifelong friends with another solo traveler I met at Cheers. Not only did I feel completely comfortable, I had the time of my life!

Also importantly, and high up on the list was cleanliness and safety. I stayed in the main building. I actually took a picture of the shared bathroom because it was so nice and clean! The room was clean and beds very comfortable. I don’t remember keys or locks, but there were little lockers and I had brought a lock with me.

And the best surprise? The rooftop bar. I don’t care how much the hostel costs or doesn’t cost; it’s one of the best views in Istanbul. Actually, it is one of the best views ANYWHERE!!!

As you can tell, I was super happy with Cheers Hostel and will be back again someday, hopefully! P.S. I also LOVED Turkey! What an amazing country…

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2011

We rented a private room to share with friends. However, due to construction, they kept re-arranging furniture and coming in and out to the extent they move our stuff from cupboards and there is no privacy.

The thing that stood out was the loud late night parties were the staff also got very drunk. It was so loud that our walls were vibrating and you would need good earplugs to sleep. What made it worse, was that staff tried to open our door in the night just for fun.

There was too much familiarity between staff and customer and they want cash up front instead of taking a deposit.

The breakfast is good, and there is wifi connection but the heating is usually turned off and it can get very cold and uncomfortable at night as there is no one to ask to turn on heating. Be sure to bring your own sleeping bag.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
12  Thank sarah7897
Reviewed 25 January 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at Cheers Hostel for a week in the Fall and absolutely LOVED IT. Originally we were booked at a different Hotel but because of a mix up we had to find lodging for a night (we ended up cancelling our reservation with the Hotel) so we stumbled upon some tourists who recommended Cheers Hostel to us. It was late so we decided to give it a try and we were SO GLAD WE DID. This Hostel was great, the room we stayed in was very clean and the beds were probably the most comfortable beds I've slept in other than our own. Onur and his staff were friendly, respectful and very helpful, they gave us great advice on what to do and where to eat. The location was fantastic and the delicious free breakfast a bonus. They truly made our experience a very memorable one. I would recommend this hostel to my friends, family and you.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple