“Yum and Fun”
Review of Turkish Flavours

Turkish Flavours
More attraction details
Owner description: Turkish Flavours organizes culinary walks and cooking classes in Istanbul. We take visitors to a real Turkish Home on the lesser visited Asian side of Istanbul for our cooking classes. Our food walks are designed to stroll through local food markets and streets of Istanbul including stops for tastings of Turkish delicacies.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Sacramento
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Yum and Fun”
Reviewed 24 April 2012

My traveling companion and I were excited about our trip to Istanbul...and especially Turkish food. She loves to cook, so I booked the Turkish Flavours culinary tour and cooking class on-line prior to leaving on the trip as a gift to her. Good call. Selin is an interesting person, is willing to answer any question on Turkey and its people, culture, and food, of course. I'm not such a good cook, so I mainly booked the cooking class for the benefit of my traveling companion, but I had a great time, and learned a lot of cooking tricks that I've used since I've returned. The whole experience made me want to cook more. We cooked a variety of dishes...dishes we could make when we returned, and it was an awesome meal...something to be proud of. Selin gave us a little cook book that included dishes we prepared, as well as others. The tour was great. She introduced us to people who ran market stalls and shops, and we visted food shops we ordinarily probably wouldn't have stumbled into. I got lots of wonderful photos. She wants to learn about your particiular interest and is flexible on the tour. The restaurant she took us to for lunch was exceptional. Selin is someone who is real, curious about people, intelligent, and wants her clients to have a good time and learn. I've recommended this to my friends who are interested in traveling to Istanbul in the future.

Visited March 2012

• Polish first
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Memories and Cooking skills for a Lifetime!!”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

My friend and I just finished an adventure packed vacation in Istanbul and were lucky enough to have a wonderful day of authentic Turkish cooking with the lovely Selin! Her beautiful apartment with a professional instructional kitchen was an easy walk from Taksim Square (about 15 - 20 minutes). We completed a full 7 dishes that covered a variety of traditional Turkish flavours and ingredients. Selin was very accommodating..my friend is obsessed with egg plant and how to prepare it, and Selin went out of her way to include a smoked eggplant dish in the menu which was delicious! Not only did we learn how to cook a Turkish feast, but also learned valuable preparation techniques and tricks for everyday Western style cooking. We received a wonderful cookbook and an apron as a souvenir from our class. Following the preparation, we sat down to a FEAST and stuffed our faces with Selin and our fellow students. As my friend says…when you visit a country you can buy souvenir that lasts a few years, or learn new skills that last a lifetime. If you enjoy cooking and enjoy learning about different cuisines, then this experience is for you! Ignore the negative feedback about Selin being strict about how the dishes are made….you are paying good money to LEARN, so I would hope you would want to learn the PROPER WAY! Yes, I too had to unwrap over stuffed dolmas and start again…but I came away knowing how to make them perfect and I can't wait to make them from my family and friends! Selin, thank you! You have inspired me to cook, create and celebrate…and…buy more kitchen gadgets ;)

kabul
“Perfect meal for a solo traveler”
Reviewed 17 April 2012 via mobile

A friend of mine had enthusiastically recommended Selin, both her in-home class and her marke tour, but imagine my surprise when this busy woman just as faithfully recounted my friend's story and her work to the group. Selin must meet hundreds of tourists a month, but she treated each of us in her class today as a friend.

That set the tone for a beautiful afternoon and the best dining experience I could have as a solo traveler in Istanbul. After two days of being given the worst seats in the house and sharing my meals with an iPad, it was a delight to spend the afternoon with fellow travelers from all backgrounds, learning relatively easy new recipes, talking about Turkish cuisine, and finally, sharing a delicious meal. It turned out that Selin was not the only fellow chef with whom I had something in common - proof that even in a city crowded with unknown faces, it's a small world after all. 100% recommended.

Orange
“"Turkish Flavours" - The real thing!”
Reviewed 16 April 2012

My daughter and I traveled to Istanbul to explore the exotic and historical which is Turkey. And it's all there and it's glorious. But after several days of good food, beautiful sights and learning we wanted more...a better way to understand Turkish life and culture. We found Selin and "Turkish Flavours" and made a feast together along with five other delightful travelers from around the world. The food was exceptional. The quantity and variety of spices we used in these authentic Turkish dishes was astounding- but most surprising to our western pallet was the fact that they all blended and worked so well together to create an intensely rich and satisfying meal. Our four hour cooking odyssey, combining Turkish spices with all the spirit we were looking to find during our time there. We created the most memorable of moments and the next day we were lucky enough to tour the spice market with Selin; She's so generous with her knowledge and stories. We learned tons and left with bags of the very spices we needed to always keep part our travels to Turkey with us always !
needed to bring our Turkish cooking experience to our lives back home.

New York City, New York
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Wonderful authentic cooking class”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

My husband and I had an incredible experience with Selin at her four hour Turkish cooking class. It takes place in her gorgeous home, which she and her family have lived in for generations. She has set up a gorgeous space in which to teach and cook, on par with any professional cooking class I have taken. My husband and I were particularly interested in learning more about Sephardic Turkish cuisine, and Selin happily incorporated a few dishes into the course. She is very friendly and knowledgable, and we made lots of authentic and delicious dishes that I am confident I can now recreate at home. She provides you with a wonderful little recipe book that includes the recipes you made that day plus many more. After cooking about six dishes, we sat down to a lovely lunch where we got to enjoy the fruits of our labor. And I have to say, it was one of the best meals we had in Istanbul! What a great way to experience the city and culture. Selin will also give you great tips about where to go in the spice market and what to get. I wish we had time for her tour as well. Next time!