“Ottoman Style Hideway”

Ranked #283 of 1,135 Hotels in Istanbul
Spokane, Washington
“Ottoman Style Hideway”
Reviewed 13 April 2011

I booked my reservation at this hotel before I read the negative reviews and I'm glad I did. True, the walls in this renovated Ottoman-era building are thin and if you stay in a Garden room you may experience more noise than in a room on the upper floors. But, my experience, overall, did not match the experiences of some disgruntled guests. The staff was extremely helpful and went out of their way to make sure all my needs were met, including making several phone calls for me to confirm appointments with a Turkish speaking dance teacher. The Turkish-style breakfast was more than adequate. The yogurt was especially delicious as was the fresh bread that was replenished every morning. My room was considerably larger than other rooms I have had in similarly located and priced Sultaniment area hotels and was well maintained by the housekeeping staff. One oddity was the space age shower that was really small and could have used an instruction manual. This hotel is in easy walking distance of the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofia, Topkapi Palace and the tramway that will take you to the Grand Bazaar or across the Golden Horn to Taxim Square, Galata Tower and other sights. There are numerous restaurants just around the corner from the hotel. I felt no qualms in walking to and from the hotel after dark. My major complaint is that I booked my room through Booking.com and the price I paid 6 weeks in advance was double what I could have gotten the same room for had I waited until just a few days before my trip.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 21 January 2011

The plusses:
The hotel has a very central location
The rooms are lovely furnished and clean
The staff was/ tried to be friendly but their English was very poor
The negatives:
The rooms are small, have very creaky floors and ours had a smelly bathroom.
Breakfast was poor (milk and cheese had gone bad on 2 occasions) en there wasn't much choice.
I would not recommend having lunch or dinner in the hotel either(we had a free voucher, but it was the worst meal we had during our entire stay)

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mie_11
Cluj-Napoca
Reviewed 26 December 2010

Four nights of making love as quietly as possible! The walls and floors are thin in this beautiful, well-maintained hotel tucked behind the Blue Mosque. It is cute and charming, with unique Turkish flavor. There are many similarly unique small hotels in the area. This one is a block or two farther behind the Blue Mosque, a little farther from the restaurants, and definitely cheaper but still delivers high value.

The breakfast buffet showed signs of the food being put out a few too many days in a row.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mhaines94108
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 11 November 2010

Service was superb!! Hotels’ staff was extremely helpful at any time.
The hotel itself was a wonderful experience! Small but beautifully decorated rooms, ottoman furniture and a sense of Ottoman Empire’s best at all spaces.
Best value for money hotel I have ever visited in Istanbul
Extra tip: it is indeed also very romantic…

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank MaViDouk
South Yorkshire
Reviewed 28 October 2010

My partner and I have just returned from a 4 night stay at the Erten Konak hotel in Istanbul. We have quite mixed feelings about the hotel, as there are some really good points, but also some bad points about it. On the positive side, the hotel provided a great pick up service and is a fantastic location for seeing all the main sights. The hotel is decorated beautifully and the price includes an average buffet breakfast.
On the negative side the room we were initially given was tiny and quite tatty. There was no room to leave our cases and there was no room to walk around, as the bed took up 90% of the floor space. At the price we paid for the room and the way the rooms were described on the website we were really disappointed. Also the room was really warm and stuffy. We were willing to put up with the size of the room, but were unable to put up with the heat in the room (air conditioning wasn’t working). We therefore asked to be moved to a different room, which we were eventually able to after two days. The new room was larger, but had an unbearably disgusting smell of drains in the bathroom.
At this point we didn't dare to complain again, so we just put up with it. We were not really made to feel welcome and felt uncomfortable when for asking for anything.
We booked this hotel as a treat and feel that we could have got a better hotel for a cheaper price.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple