“Fresh Authentic Cuisines ”
Review of Yaal

Yaal
Ranked #146 of 671 Restaurants in Colombo
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

This is our 2nd visit to Ceylon within a space of two years. We have always read good reviews on Yaal and only on our second visit checked this place.

Had the Kotthu Rotti (Fish) and is a brilliant mix of spices and fresh cooked fish. My partner had the prawn iddiyapum (String Hoppers) Buriyani which she loved with a good balance like a Buriyani and a good mix of sea food.

This place is closest you would get to Tamil food in Colombo and must admit eating a lot of spices for someone who is accustomed to western cuisine this place may not be ideal if your taste buds cant handle the heat. My daughter however had the vegetarian noodles which I found the noodles really fresh and you can even ask for it to be not spicy. However, I would love to try all their unique set of meals which I will save for my next visit to Ceylon.

Highly recommended if you want to experience the unique mix of Tamil foods.

1  Thank BeHonest73

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Very delicious, authentic Tamil food from the north of Sri Lanka. They have a great range on the menu - from rice and curries, to kotthu, idiyappam and fried rice and noodles.
The juices on offer from the menu were very fresh and delicious.
We ordered kotthu, prawn idiyappam and chicken noodles (although our daughter didn’t eat as she thought it was too spicy).
The food is served traditionally on a banana leaf to eat with your hands so if you aren’t an expert at that yet give it a try!

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

02 star for the marvelous food but the service is very poor. Staff must be trained. Before the guest service please make sure everything clean and well maintained. Because our seafood fried rice was served with a broken spoon even after the complain dirty folk and spoon was served . We ordered some beverages and we waited so long to get our beverages after so many request half of our beverages are served and they forgot the last order so I waited more than 30min to get my last order. Our 1st order was served after all these troubles and when we receive our second order table wasn’t clean at all even after the clean request they don’t mind my request. What kind of service is this? I won’t step into your restaurant next time. Have a good luck luck.

1  Thank Mithun F
Reviewed 29 January 2018

This is a very cheap restaurant with average food quality. They serve traditional Sri Lankan food. There is a room with air conditioning but it's very cold and the non AC room was way too hot. The quantity of the curry was a bit small for me but it was so cheep and you can order more.

Reviewed 1 January 2018 via mobile

Went little late and missed the lunch. Lunch is closed at 3pm and you don't have much choices till dinner time. Ordered few items and taste is o.k. service is bad , they don't care if you eat there or not. Location is good next to the beach. O.k for one time taste. I am sure their lunch is good, but didn't get a chance to taste it.