See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 July 2015

We just made a day visit yesterday to check it out. We did not stay overnight, so I cannot comment on the accommodation. We got the impression that this was once a place started with great enthusiasm and ambition, but that the euphoria has faded a lot with time. It is now quite run down and sleepy. It is not terrible, just slowly falling apart. We did the nature walk (just a couple of km), which is exciting since the trail is overgrown and requires some real bushwhacking to get through. I asked about doing longer hikes, possibly with a guide, at some later date, but the barman (the only staff member around) didn't seem to know what I was talking about. I was also very interested to know more about the project to replant native tree species, but again, staff seemed to know quite little about that. Maybe just my poor English. Lunch was ok, but nothing to write home about. The Lao food in my office canteen is better.

There are also some totally dilapidated dormitories on the property which adds to the overall sense of abandonment. Attaching some photos that illustrate the point.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Lanka320
Reviewed 25 December 2013

There is nothing we didn`t like about this unique place!!!!!!the view from the bungalow, from the restaurant-from everywhere is amazing!!it is so quiet, you hear the insects, the birds and the big bamboo "whispering", when there`s some wind-and that`s it.each bungalow has his own terrace with a great hammock made from wood.the bed was very cosy and not that hard like the other beds i had till now in laos.it was very cold in the night, so we got as many blankets as we needed.there`s enough electricity to charge whatever you need to charge.in the evening the stuff made a fire and we enjoyed sitting there with chris, the owner and his sweet little cat.chris is a very interesting and nice person.he should write a book about his life!we loved to listen to his stories!also the stuff was very open and helpful.we enjoyed the food and drank coffee from the machine!(and this in the middle of nowhere.there`s no point to complain.it is just a pitty that we couldn`t stay longer! if you are close to vientiane, so don`t miss this place (about 1 hour and something from vientiane away, they pick you up)-it is heaven on earth!!!!

Room Tip: we had number 8, which is a little bit separated from the others.we loved it.the only thing is that you are always in the shadow.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Chanti2013
Reviewed 16 December 2013

The location is stunning, the bungalows perfectly suited to the environment but there is something missing. This place has no soul, no purpose for being, no character, no wow factor. The view from the bungalow deck is sublime but that's it.

Human touches are missing. Like a welcome when you arrive. I was dropped at reception and given a pen and. A book to write in, then I waited. Eventually I was taken to my bungalow.

It was rustic and functional. Everything worked. The floor squeaked and that was fine, it added to the ambience. The big comfortable bed was clean and had nice soft pillows. There was a fan, bedside lamp, ceiling lamp (that was pretty useless), extra blanket, soft towels.

But there were no locks on doors or windows, so no security at all. The windows couldn't be left open as there were no fly screens. There was no bottled water in the rooms. There was no bug spray which should be a given in a place like this where there are all sorts of bugs. Not a wee vase of flowers, a torch (which was needed to be able to get around outside at night), nothing.

The staff were very pleasant when spoken to and one of them did come and chat, but they were all alooof. I got no information about what was available and when I went to go for a walk was given a very dirty loose leaf book that had a map (which needed a fair bit of imagination to follow). When I got back I realised that the rest of the book had some information on the parts that I had walked past without realising.

When i left it was raining. No offer of an umbrella or anything.

It could be simply wonderful and could afford higher rates and ensure repeat business being so close to Vientiane. It could be the best place for people to,weekend at and get away from the trappings of the city. I was the only guest there. All this could happen by making it all more desirable.

instead it was a rustic experience that was good value for money but I would not entertain going back, unless it acquired some, charm and personality, and for that i would be prepared to pay far more.

Room Tip: I think any of the bungalows would be ok, they all have sublime views over the river. Try to get i e as far from the restaurant as you can as the staff can be quite noisy when they sit there at night.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank poohtravel
Reviewed 26 October 2013

This place is simply amazing. The location is very secluded and you feel like Henri Mouhot when trekking through the jungle or paddling on the river. The bungalows are basic and clean and perfectly serve their purpose (who wants to stay inside when such an amazing scenery is waiting for you outside). Cleanliness is maybe a bit of our European interpretation but this is the jungle after all. The staff is incredible friendly and always helpful (please don't forget to tip!!) and the well-traveled Swedish owner is full of interesting stories about Asia. The food is very good (try the Laap) and fair value. I will definitely come back!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Incredible location -- peaceful and beautiful. Enjoyed lounging in a hammock, swimming, hiking and paddling on the river. Staff are very friendly, but there seems to be tension with the owner. The food is overpriced, takes an unreasonable amount of time to prepare, and there are frequently errors with the orders. The bungalows looked remodeled, but our chief complaint was the awful, uncomfortable mattress. Would have stayed longer but for the bed and the kitchen service.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple