See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 1 May 2016 via mobile

I'd been in Cambodia for a few weeks and on arriving in Phnom Penh I discovered that the backpacker 'area' of Boeng Kak had been demolished! The area was a hole anyway... I was dehydrated and needed to rest for a few days.

After checking my guide book I made my way to another place which was full - Smiley was nearby + I ended up staying for a few nights.

A decent budget hotel, a single room which by Cambodian standards was great for the price ($8 per night). Decent bed, clean, cable tv + a great bathroom with power shower. The area is quiet but central, a few decent restaurants nearby too.

Staff are friendly - English is a little sketchy, I didn't use a tuk tuk driver right outside the hotel but they seemed fine, obviously agree on a price in advance!!

Ok, this might not be featured in LP, Rough Guides etc but you could do MUCH worse than Smiley. Best place I stayed in Cambodia.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
Sua_lim, General Manager at Smiley's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2017

Thanks for your kind words steven and the five stars rate. We're hoping to see you again.

Reviewed 10 March 2016

I stumbled into this place just by accident, and what a lucky find! I arrived in Phnom Penh via bus from Vietnam, and as I had no hotel reservations, I wandered around the neighborhood where I was dropped off. Smileys was only two blocks away. I got a room with aircon, hot shower, balcony, and comfy bed for $20, but there are cheaper rooms as well. Everything you need is nearby - restaurants, laundry, mini-mart, and friendly, reasonably priced tuk-tuk drivers out front.

Staff is not the friendliest, but competent. Never had breakfast here as I could see a couple guest houses out the window that looked more inviting. Only negative is if you want to nap between 3pm and 6pm, the mini-mart across the street blasts some kind of radio show cum karaoke during those hours - steer clear of your room then.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room for more Windows and bigger balcony.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 February 2016

It's not central but a tuktuk or walk away to the river and central Phnom Pehn. The hotel is clean, nice and simple. Staff is friendly and service minded and breakfast okey. There are bars and restaurants just close or have walk to the city center and you will find more of your taste.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 January 2016

Smiley's is a great hotel. Beautiful modern building set in the heart of Phnom Penh. We had a great time staying at Smiley's. The staff was very friendly, and courteous. The rooms (we stayed multiple times) were very clean. It's a walking distant to local bars and restaurants.

Room Tip: ask for rooms with balcony for great views of the city nightlife
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2015

I stayed at this hotel three times. Rooms are basically furnished and spacious enough for me alone. Quality of service and cleanliness was not very steady. Sometimes sufficient and other times not. Everyday I received two fresh bottles of drinking water. On the other hand I had to request for a towel several times. My first room was quite clean, but the last time I got a room it was dusty and absolutely not clean. Service quality depended on the employee. Bustrips to other places in the country were well taken care off. Wifi in the room was barely available, depending on the day. I stayed in three different rooms on the first floor and the wifi availability was the same in every room. I didn't have breakfast in the hotel, but the lobby was not an inviting place to sit for eating. If you need to spend one night in Phnom Penh this hotel is sufficient. Spending several days is a bit less comfortable, depending on your demands.

Room Tip: For dinner or breakfast I'd like to recommend Asian Spice restaurant at 111th street. Good wifi available and very good food.
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled solo