Lowest prices for your stay
AU$110
AU$91
Fully refundable before Sat, 8 June
Noojee
Melbourne, Australia

Great start to a holiday

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 9 Aug 2012
Arriving at the airport with Royal Brunei in the late afternoon, we discussed the option of taking a bus or taxi, and taxi won as we were quite tired. The ride to the hotel was short, 10 minutes at most (maybe that was just our taxi driver). Our first impression was exactly as expected from their website. The staff at the front desk at first seemed "shy", but as our 4 day stay progressed we realised that this is the culture, and we could not have asked any more from any of the staff at Centerpoint, they are very helpful. Our room was on the 3rd floor overlooking the pool. We found it spacoius, comfortable and clean. The best was a little soft for me, but my wife loved it. You will find a couple of bottles of water in the room each day, but tap water is fine to drink and we were constantly topping up our bottles whenever we went out on an adventure. There is also a minibar in the room, but do not expect or ask for alcohol, nor drink any bought duty free in public. Smoking in public is also forbidden, and not recommended in the room either, unless you specifically ask for a "smoking" room. The hotel is part of a shopping complex, large for Brunei, but do not expect a Westfield shopping centre. There are some great eateries very close to the hotel, including McDonalds for those who are not adventurous, but we made our way down the road to the open air food market which was fantastic. Public transport is good, expect to pay $1 for a trip into town, which is a great adventure in itself, however, we were there during Ramadan, so certain mosques were not open to the public, and as the local muslim population fasted during the day, the feasts in the evenings were great. Not a normal tourist destination, but one we hope to go back to.
Date of stay: August 2012
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5.0 of 5 bubblesValue
    AU$50
    AU$78
4.5 km from The Centrepoint Hotel
View more hotels in Bandar Seri Begawan
All reviews within walking distance buffet breakfast local food mall toothbrush
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I spent three nights in Brunei and stayed at the Centrepoint Hotel. The hotel itself is well located and the room I had was quite large and elegantly furnished with nice teak furniture and the hotel is only 10 or 15 years old and still looks quite new. I took a taxi from the airport and it only took around 15mins.

Next door to the hotel is Brunei's main shopping centre and it has a nice mix of stores and restaurants, including the nation's only McDonalds!

Within the hotel complex itself is the coffee bean coffee shop. It has free wifi and serves some delicious desserts. The hotel's own restaurant was on the first floor and is of a very modern layout, and there was lots to choose from on the buffet breakfast. Free Wifi was also available in the restaurant

My bedroom was nicely furnished and everything was spotlessly clean and the bathroom was also quite large and everything was in order with a good power shower also. A large laptop sized safe, mini bar and tea and coffee making facilities are also provided in the room. The TV had over 80 channels and it checked out ok. Wifi is available in the bedroom but it was incredibly expensive so I did not bother with it when I could access free wifi in both the coffee shop and restaurant on the second floor.

The staff were efficient and very helpful in ordering taxis and advising on the sights to see, housekeeping did a great job also throughout my stay.

Brunei itself has a very laid back lifestyle and the City Centre is more like a town centre in bigger countries, this hotel would make the perfect stopover as the whole place is so calm and unrushed, Brunei Airport was a charm with only a short walk from the plane to the taxis, so relaxed and I would consider returning again for a pleasant stopover. The main sights are within easy reach by taxi or if you want to brave the heat on foot, taxis in Brunei are incredibly expensive compared to Thai or Malaysian standards.

All in the hotel did everything I expected of it and it is a nice place to stay for a few nights and whilst it was quite expensive I would consider staying there again if I ever return to Brunei or transit through the country.

Room tip: The higher floors have a better view and when it rains you will be treated to a great natural viewing of intense thunder and lightening.
Date of stay: April 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank tomthepost
Reviewed 2 June 2012

As I was working in Brunei for a month, I lived at this hotel. The hotel starts to show it is dated - and it is really noisy. The service is ok, and the location is ok. There is a coffee shop in the hotel, as well as restaurants and a shopping mall. Service in the coffee shop is good. I had to go to work before they opened every morning, but still they were able to make me a cup of coffee.

Room tip: Stay away from rooms faving the road in front - I had one, and it was really noisy.
Date of stay: March 2012
Reviewed 31 May 2012

The hotel is average. Reasonably clean, but furnishing are dated. You don't have much choice if you want to stay in this area. There are cheaper options and more expensive options but they aren't in Gadong area.

Wifi is very expensive.

Location is at Gadong where you have plenty of shopping to do. ie The Mall, Jaya, the shophouses. There's also a night market for food. Cheap meals goes for B$1. BBQ whole fish starts at B$3. Satays, BBQ Chicken, ......

Right below the hotel, you can find CoffeeBeans, Sugarbun, MacDonalds, an a great Italian restaurant (Fratini's).

Room tip: Between 10-12pm, you do see cars driven by young punks blasting their car audio. You need to accept this otherwise ask for rooms facing the back (river?).
Date of stay: May 2012
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I spent 9 days in the Centrepoint Hotel and found the rooms quite rundown, however it is a budget hotel.
Most early mornings I was awakened to the noise of the garbage disposal truck banginng for
15 minutes or more
On weekends the carpark adjacent the hotel is occupied by Brunei Young people blowing off steam by blasting there car stereos at 2 or 3 am in the morning.
The breakfast menu was very limited to mostly noodles and rice dishes, occassionally a sausage.
The proximity to good restaurants was the best part of this hotel.
I would never stay again.

Date of stay: May 2012
1  Thank Konrad J
Reviewed 20 April 2012

We recently spent 4D/3N at The Centrepoint Hotel in Bandar Seri Begawan in Brunei. The hotel was not real close to the 'downtown' waterfront area, but it was close to where my wife was working. The hotel is clean and the staff are friendly and welcoming. Our room was a good size. I was disappointed that the king-size bed was just two doubles shoved together. The bedside lamps also had a goose-neck reading light, which I had never seen in an hotel before. Because I like to read in bed, this would allow me to do so without disturbing my wife as she slept. Unfortunately the reading light didn't work on my side. I mentioned it at the desk, and the cleaning lady took a look at it when she was up, but it was never fixed over the 4 days we were there. Other than these two minor details the overall stay at the hotel was very pleasant. There isn't an abundance of taxis in this city/country but the desk called one for me which came in 10 minutes. The trip downtown was also about ten minutes at a cost of BN$10. I also had to call a taxi for the return trip as they are not in evidence in the city. WiFi costs BN$6 per hour or BN$40 for the day, but the receptionist let us have it gratis for the first evening. Meals were part of our package and dinners were a la carte with a good variety from the menu. Staff in the restaurant were very friendly, polite and helpful. Everyone spoke English. The country's largest mall with 4-cinema theatre is next door to The Centrepoint Hotel, and gives you some options in this city of very few attractions and night life.

Date of stay: April 2012