“My best Japanese lunch so far!!!!”
Review of Sushi REI

Sushi REI
Ranked #101 of 4,248 Restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City
Description: With our concept, 'Delivery of True Japan', all ingredients of our sushi, including the rice, fish, and seasonings, etc. will be imported from Japan, to deliver the 'true' taste of sushi to our customers in Ho Chi Minh. As much as the actual sushi is important for ensuring all the customers experience the 'true Japan', our staff and interior design is also ready to make their 'true Japan' experience even better. Interior Design: Joe Chikamori - Joe has designed the restaurant as a one-and-only space using a plenty of Japanese cypresses, where the customers can feel the 'Wa (Japanese word representing Japan itself)'. Your visit to Sushi REI would be our greatest pleasure - I will ensure you will enjoy the highest quality of the exquisite sushi in a superb atmosphere, to believe for a while that you are actually in Japan. we adopt a two-part system in which the course is timed in accordance with when the rice is cooked.Please choose 5:30pm or 8:00pm.
Reviewed 9 October 2016

When I visited Sushi REI last Saturday for lunch with my hubby and honestly, I did not expect my lunch to be that awesome. Even though we did search the address via Google Maps beforehand, it was quite difficult to find the restaurant as it located on a quiet corner of the alley of Nguyen Thi Minh Khai street. If you want to visit this restaurant, make sure you search for the address beforehand since they have small sign and you might not discover.
With only 8-chair available at the restaurant, you might need to reserve before coming. They had 4-5 set lunch, ranging from VND 650,000 to VND 2,000,000 including side dish, miso soup, steamed egg and dessert, their price is quite expensive to us. But once we tasted the food, it was awesome. It totally deserved the price with extremely fresh and delicious. In some Japanese restaurants, they had bland taste but here it was extremely tasty. Even though the mushroom or the fish on side dish, I feel much effort invested on the food that make the taste was so great and nice. I ordered salmon with fish egg and I totally satisfied with my choice. This restaurant offered the best and freshest salmon that I have tried in Vietnam. Another impressive thing that this restaurant offered was fresh wasabi, I could not forget how great it was combining with salmon and fish egg. The staffs was really friendly and helpful. It was quite interesting when we could watch the Chef preparing our dishes, such a nice experience. We would definitely come back this restaurant in the future.

Reviewed 7 October 2016

This place is the epitome of Japanese elegance and minimalism.

From the outside, architectural design of Sushi Rei stands dramatically against the homes located in the same alleyway. Then as you walk in, you get the sense you will be taken on a journey not only through food, but through the experience of sound and space - as staff and chef graciously welcome you. The restaurant's spaciousness enhanced the overall eating experience, especially in a city where space is so tight and limited, often rubbing elbows with the person eating right next to you.

I ordered the salmon sashimi and salmon roe rice bowl from their menu of lunch sets ( total of 5 options to choose from). The rice bowl was satisfying and I liked the touch of freshly grated wasabi.

The two highlights of the set was actually the side dishes that brought together all the delicateness and richness of the food. I was surprised and delighted when I tried the mushrooms and greens, it was so full of complex flavors for being made from such simple ingredients. And the fish head in soy base with ginger was so addictive, I couldn’t get enough.

Other side dishes included miso and steamed egg pudding. I usually prefer a lighter miso compared to the red miso I tried here, which provided a much deeper fermented flavor.

Finally, the dessert was a citris sorbet. Light and refreshing - a nice way to clean the palette after such a flavorful meal.

Small touches that I appreciated was when they replaced our tea with hot tea. The service was overall very attentive. I do recommend pairing the food with a sake to help balance the richness of the food.

Areas of improvement could be the price as it is much more expensive compared to other options around town. However, considering the quality of ingredients and the experience, I would come back here to treat myself occasionally. Overall, it was a pleasurable and memorable eating experience.

Reviewed 7 October 2016

I came here with my partner hearing the hype as one of the best sushi spots in Vietnam, where they import directly from Tsukiji fish market in Japan. Having eaten the freshly cut fish at Tsukiji I can say nothing really compares to it. So to try and bring that flavor and experience to Vietnam is a bold move.

I've tried many sushi places in HCMC and on Le Than Thon. Sushi Rei is by far and away the best and even moreso for its pleasant location away from the traffic on Le Than Thon. It truly is a hideaway that values experience, peace, and food quality.

Space
The design is exceptional in the use of space. It is distinctly Japanese in making the simple become the extraordinary. Warm tones and designs surround you, making you feel private and comfortable at the 8 person sushi bar. As a note the wood at the bar is authentic but tends to absorb stains and condensation. Be mindful when eating, it will also keep you present.

I came here for lunch, where they offer 5 standard lunch sets. We both ordered salmon because it's our favorite fish. Our set included red miso, salmon sashimi, salmon roe, mushrooms, additional fish, egg pudding (the first egg custard I could finally eat fully as it was so lightly delicate in flavor), and a final sorbet with maple leaf.

The sashimi was light and compared to the quality from Tsukiji but definitely was not as smooth or as big as the pieces you'll get when you're at the market in Japan. The chef did seem to have trouble deskinning the salmon which shocked me a little but I got over it quickly when the food came.

The taste of the food lasted as long as it should for the portion. Typically Japanese dishes give you the right amount for your palettes so there is no excess or lingering hunger. Its always just right. Every bite and sip did that for us...except the roe which is typically rich in flavor. The proportion of roe was plentiful but more rice is needed to balance it, otherwise the roe can taste over the top.

Thankfully we ordered a Kubota Senjyu 100ml glass to balance, cut, and reset the flavor. There is a great wide selection of drinks available that are some of the best in Ho Chi Minh, especially the sake, so please ask for help on a pairing of your choice to further enhance the experience.

I typically don't drop $50 for an individual lunch set, but Sushi Rei made me reconsider it's totally acceptable, especially as you will not find better quality and experience in this form.

Reviewed 5 October 2016

Love this place. First off let me say this...SIT AT THE BAR with chef TOMO. He took such great care of us and our après ride appetites. TOMO started us off with his perfect grilled eel atop of crunchy rice( Hitsumabushi ). Super tasty. But, where he really shone was with a sashimi assortment of his choice. All so fresh and beautifully plated in a big bowl with flowers and all. The quality of fish and the specialty drinks were next level as well. Thanks to master chef TOMO, we will be back next trip up.
Again love your glass of craft beer!!

Reviewed 5 October 2016

Sushi Rei got a really hidden location in Saigon that diners hardly find it in the first time. Me in a typical afternoon like seeking for something special and it didn't disappoint me even little thing so far.

I ordered a lunch set of eel bowl. Japanese chef served it right in front of me carefully and heartedly. As I expected, taste was awesome mixed among meat fresh, special eel sauce and highlighted sea urchin egg pudding.

Plus private space and perfect service which devoted for an entire VIP experience.

Highly recommend for meeting with VIP business partner. I will definitely be back.