“Its Good! Worth the $! Friendly staffs! Great Service!”
Review of Red Sun Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ho Chi Minh City
Red Sun Hotel
Reviewed 17 April 2011

Was recommended this hotel n we tried it and stayed 2 nites; left our luggage there till we come back from another venue. N stayed two more nites. All our luggages in place and we like the service n good nice boss and what's more free wifi; or use of internet; n free breakfasts! Gave us info n recommended places to visit; the price was about same as other tour agency as we found out as they help customers who are blur blur like us! :) Very clean room; staircase clean too! If we come back later than 11pm;just need ring the bell n someone will open door for us..its all de same in Vietnam as I think they want to keep everyone in safe hands! Thanks folks! will recommend your hotel to friends n stay with u if we come to Vietnam again! :)

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 4 April 2011

Stayed for 2 nights in March 2011. Arrived at 8pm, nobody at reception. After 5minutes I wandered through the hotel and found someone downstairs who told me wait at reception. 10 minutes later, a lady arrived & I checked in. Immediately she wanted to sell me a tour. As I'd already arranged a Mekong day trip for the following day, I asked her about a half day Cu Chi tunnels tour. She told me that all the operators were the same and she had the best price. I booked, only to cancel the following morning when I discovered she was charging me double what SihnTourist (a huge tour operator in Vietnam) was charging for the same trip. She wasn't happy, but she was dishonest.

The hotel itself is located in a back alley off Pham Ngu Lao, amongst a handful of other guesthouses & is very quiet. There is a 11pm curfew. Cafes, restaurants & tour agencies abound in the surrounding streets. The tour agencies are all open until 9pm-10pm.

My room was on the 2nd floor and spacious. It appeared clean, until I went to bed & discovered the old worn sheets were riddled with bed bugs - so I slept for 2 nights on top of my rain jacket. The satellite tv has 4 English language channels (1 news channel and 3 movie channels). Breakfast was included in my room rate, but after continually searching for staff, I gave up. There is 1 computer offering free internet access in the lobby, which didn't seem to be busy most of the time. Free wifi in my room worked fine.

On my day of departure, once again, I had to search for staff, and was told by a cleaner to ask the receptionist downstairs. She was still in bed, on the floor under a mosquito net. It was 7.30am, and I felt a little uncomfortable waking up staff so that I could check out... but hey, it's a hotel right??? I was made to feel like I was being an inconvenience.

Overall, I would not stay here again. There was never anyone at reception and you have to spend up to half an hour looking for them. Breakfast was non existent... and to top it all off, the bed bugs made this my worst hotel stay during my 3 week trip through Cambodia & Vietnam. Location though, was second to none.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 March 2011

After I arrived in Saigon from CambodiaI spent a couple of hours checking out different hotels and guesthouses. The ones I had read the most good reports about either had no single rooms available or had put their prices up substantially. The only reasonably priced rooms I could find in the main backpacker area were in the rabbit warren of narrow streets behind Pham Ngu Lao. There was little to choose between them, but Red Sun had a neat lobby with computers and bubbly, welcoming reception staff. $14 isn't bad for a spacious twin room on the first floor with window, aircon, hot shower and TV here, and I was glad to set down my pack.

Soon after I checked in I found that the shower wasn't heating up, so I went down to reception and asked if someone could take a look at it. A couple of minutes later the two ladies from reception were onto it, flicking some switches and voila the problem was solved, and the shower worked fine for the rest of my stay. I made plenty of use of the free wi-fi which was reliable and quick. The air-con was very effective. The TV worked OK but the reception wasn't great and I didn't find any English-language channels on there.

Breakfast is available however I did not eat in the guesthouse so cannot comment on this.

The street the Red Sun is on is narrow and not very well-lit at night but it's lined with guesthouses so there's people coming and going. I didn't stay out late during my stay in Saigon but the guesthouse's front gate is closed at 11pm meaning you'd have to ring the doorbell to get in after then. I wouldn't really want to be standing out here waiting for the gate to be opened in the middle of the night, so in my opinion it would be better if (as e.g. at the guesthouse I stayed at in Krabi, Thailand) the guests were issued with a front-gate key. In fairness, this system does however seem to be the norm in Vietnam, as the guesthouses I stayed at in Dalat and Nha Trang had the same system. Also, being off the main street meant there was little noise.

Room Tip: Check your hot shower works before night!
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 November 2010

Before I stayed at the Red Sun Hotel, I had heard mixed reviews about it. When I arrived however, the first thing that struck me, was the cheerful nature of the staff and the outstanding service that they provided. Two of the staff members, Jenny and Phoebe, were so helpful and informative; that they contributed towards a positive first-time visit to Vietnam. A good clean room with air-con and a fan, private toilet, and in a quiet location. The hotel is located right in the heart of Pham Ngu Lao, right next to a myriad of tour companies, restaurants, public transport at the door - this hotel had everything I was looking for.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 September 2010

Can recommend this Hotel. Like other reviews say the staff are very friendly and the rooms clean and good air conditioning.

The bathroom was a bit shabby and the room quite small however.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple