“One of the Best Sushi & Sashimi in Vietnam”

La Phong Sushi House
Ranked #795 of 4,241 Restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 2 April 2015

Excellent food, clean premises, very good service. I would recommend sitting at the sushi bar. The chefs are very professional and friendly. The fish is always fresh!!!

Reviewed 4 January 2015

In HCMC there are a lot of sushi restaurants besides the two main chains, Sushi Bar and Tokyo Deli, Most of them are clustered around Le Than Ton area where many Japanese expats live, sometimes they are good, sometimes just average. Some of these restaurants would deserve more attention and do not get many reviews on Tripadvisor, maybe because of the expat clientele. La Phong Sushi House is among them.

It is located on a small street a bit off the beaten path, you will most likely need a taxi or motorbike to get there (just 5-10 minutes from most D1 hotels).

In my visit over lunch (they open at 11.30, I was the first customer on a quiet Sunday), I ordered a mackerel sashimi and a sushi set (the most economical, at around 10usd, with 5 pieces of sushi, soup, Chawanmushi and three mini side sides). I spent 19usd in total.

The sushi and sashimi was excellent. Very fresh and well prepared. I can't say whether it was a special import or was coming from the usual sources of Japanese restaurants in hcmc (like Metro), but, again, very good tasty staff. I enjoyed the soup (not the usual miso soup, but a vegetable soup of the day with mushrooms and gluten), the Chawanmushi was the usual egg custard. I was offered complimentary mugi tea (an infusion of roasted barley), instead of the classic green tea.

So overall I had a very good Japanese lunch. Why I do not give excellent to this restaurant? Three things put me off. First, really small portions. Second, quite hefty prices (the usual tuna sashimi, my bellwhether, was at 9usd while it is 5usd in most places and it was not an oversize portion, so I skipped it by principle), Third, I was accommodated at the counter (I did not mind) where they have these tiny chairs to match the short counter. I am 1.72 and I could barely resist. I guess it might be ok if you like sitting on a small stool, but it is not for me. They have additional rooms upstairs which I did not visit, but I understand they are set up for Japanese seating that makes me even more uncomfortable.

All staff was very polite and helpful.

In conclusion, I would recommend this place if you are after some very good sushi, you do not worry about chipping in the extra buck and can come to terms with the furniture.

Reviewed 17 November 2014

Totally enjoyed this restaurant experience, totally Japanese from the time you walk in the door, often frequented by Japanese business associates. The Food is plenty and as fresh as the sea, staff are local and do a great job speaking Japanese which adds to the experience. Bookings are essential, will be considered pricey for your average Vietnamese local. Food Beautifully Respected & Presented.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Le Phong was one of the top sushi bar I'd tried in Saigon until I ate at Syunkato.

The sushi is pretty fresh. Other foods prepared quite well. Equally impressive (more if you take into consideration that this is Vietnam) is the surprising level of service. Being in Saigon often enough I learn to appreciate this fact.

Staff are trained very well. Attentive to your need. Helpful to certain degree.

My expat friend (who's pretty picky about his sushi) swears by it. Mostly Japanese clientele (mixed with smatter of in-the-know expats) confirms this.

Price-wise, I do think it's rather expensive by Saigon standard. It cost us nearly $80 USD each person for our meal.

Bottom line is that it's deserving of its reputation as one of the best sushi joints in town.

TIP: It's on a rather quiet street intersecting Mac Din Chi Phung Khac Kuon. The street is rather dark and quiet so it's very possible to overshoot. Make sure to keep youself between those two streets (it being closer to Phun Khac Kuon than Mac Din Chi side) and you'll be okay.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

japanese food is great. the service was excellent on arrival and throughout. The price was not too expensive. I like here.
next time i will come back.