“You get what you pay for”

Golden View Hotel Saigon
Ranked #500 of 981 Ho Chi Minh City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 July 2016 via mobile

For $20, I needed a hot shower, a bed (& AC) and a fast walk to the airport. Mission accomplished.
Very simple, rock hard bed & even though agoda says there is a shuttle, there's not - but if you don't have a ton of luggage you can walk in 10 minutes.
The receptionist spoke good English too, if that's important

Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank bunchajustines

Reviewed 24 May 2016

"If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all". This moral is now known by such names as the "Thumperian principle", "Thumper's rule" or "Thumper's law"

We paid 20 US$(Expectations were limited to value paid, 20 USD$)

Arrived 7 PM, flight the next day 9 am.
Taxi service charged us 200,000 VND roughly 8.97 US$.

Reception speaks no English and she had to call a cute smiley faced girl who spoke good enough English, gave us a remote for the AC and a key and took my passport. I explained that I was not comfortable leaving my passport in a wooden box, she was nice enough to oblige. We placed our luggage and asked for a nearest safest place where we can eat and shop for souvenirs. She directed us to the nearest mall. We asked if we would be safe to walk in the dimly lit streets. She answered.. "ALWAYS". We believed her. Well enough walking through the dimly lit streets, we passed by some office people drinking on the street facing the highway, which we found a little odd. But the highway was entertaining enough, full off speeding vehicles and novelty stores across the where we where. We were wondering how we could cross the semi-dangerous highway.

Getting to the Parkson CT Plaza, it was a welcome place after Siem Reap experience. Great mall!

Getting back to the review

20 US$ Room was as expected a 20 US$ value.

Room smell wreaks of cigarettes

Window faced a wall looking downwards to a small alley.

There was a bed, a cabinet, a dresser and a bathroom, the previous renter left other toiletries. When you exit the elevator, it faced the stairwell going down, so be careful in pushing out your luggage when exiting the elevator, or you may find your luggage back on the ground floor.

We asked for a 7am taxi pick-up for the airport. But we were at the lobby area at 6:50am. The male receptionist could not speak a word of English, and was busy talking to a young Vietnamese couple asking for a room. I kept butting in that we needed a taxi at 7am. But exactly 7am he point soutside and a taxi was there, the driver spoke good English and asked us about our stay in Vietnam, I stayed silent.

I must ask for Apologies to Vietnam and Its people. I expected a bad, rude, unsafe Country, but what short time we spent there, all we encountered was nice people.

I am sorry.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 April 2016 via mobile

We arrived at midnight after a long flight and the staff watched us struggle with bags, and did not help with our questions. Our room had a dirty towel, a few black hairs lying around and the sink leaked everywhere. Besides the location being convenient for a stop off before a flight, would not recommend - was not worth what we paid

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2016

Quick trip from the airport to have a nap during a long layover in Ho Chi Min City. If you are dead tired like us, you can certainly take a nap. The mattresses really need replacing and the walls are paper thin. A dog barked the entire time of our stay. But with ear plugs and the desire to sleep, it's a perfect place. Front desk staff was friendly, good elevator, good wifi, nice clean bathroom.

Stayed: February 2016
Reviewed 28 January 2016 via mobile

I arrived to HCMC at 10AM, after a long and tiring journey (a coach and a flight overnight), only to come to an empty hotel, where I was told that, if I want to check in now (at 11), I'd have to pay extra 100 thousand dongs... Now, this has never happened to me anywhere in Vietnam or anywhere else - if the hotel is half empty and the room is ready. I explained that I was leaving at 3AM anyways, but the receptionist would not listen. So, I paid. Only to discover (after I'd come up to the room) about some very noisy maintenance work that was going on. Couldn't sleep at all.

Good spacious showers and the bed seemed comfy - close to the airport.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled with friends