“French food in HCMC”

Ranked #219 of 4,300 Restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City
Price range: USD 5 - USD 30
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: A recent arrival to the growing ranks of authentic French dining experiences in HCMC, L'essentiel Restaurant offers a quiet intimate dining experience downstairs with space for private functions and alfresco dining on an upper floor.Open from Monday to Saturday, 11:00am to 2:30pm and 6pm to 10:30pm, Chef Vanessa who has been after 14 years experience in France makes variety of classic French cuisines. The menu for lunch changes weekly and monthly for dinner. The food is fresh and the wine list carefully collated.
Reviewed 27 April 2016

Price is very reasonable, service and setting are good. Food is above average. Worth a try when other French restaurants are very expensive in HCMC.

Reviewed 26 April 2016 via mobile

Average food,mediocre service , always busy . So difficult to order something here . The staff was not smiling .

1  Thank york459
Reviewed 19 March 2016 via mobile

We stopped here for lunch and we're glad we did. The service was excellent and the space cute and modern. We started off with French Onion soup which was amazing. I had the lunch version of steak frites and it was perfect. I wish we were going to be here longer because we would definitely go back. This place should be ranked much higher than it is. What a hidden gem in HCMC!

1  Thank Runnerny2244
Reviewed 15 March 2016

Stayed in district one, Saigon and wanted to try a french restaurant without traveling too far. (A taxi ride in Saigon is not exactly a lot of fun). We ended up walking to L'essentiel from the Rex Hotel. Excellent food, wine choices good and the service fantastic.

2  Thank Ian H
Reviewed 8 March 2016

Had booked La Villa but after reading rave reviews, decided to change my booking to L'essentiel. I had requested for terrace seating upstairs as we both were afraid of the cold air conditioning. It was dinner on a Friday evening and thought the place will be packed out. My best friend and I were looking forward to some amazing French food and already had what we wanted memorized. Were we shocked! Upon arrival, we found that we were the only 2 customers in the restaurant and were seated downstairs as the terrace was closed (no customers). The wine list was nothing to shout about. We were skeptical about the wine offerings and decided to order the house wine, in case we did not like the wine. It was so bad! Many decent restaurants will have decent wines even if the choice were limited. Service staff were inexperienced and do not know their menu well.Kept running to the kitchen when we post questions.I cannot even remembered what I had for appetizer though I have been back only 2 days ago. I ordered a beef tartare as main and were told that it is not available. They later offered to make one with tenderloin at the same portion and same price after I showed major displeasure (so disappointed I almost wanted to walk out). My friend ordered duck breast with orange sauce. The meat was overcook and the sauce tasted more like black pepper with a slice of orange as garnish. We were told by the service staff that the Chef lived in France for 20 years. This was the worst experience we had in the 4 day trip to Saigon. Without doubt, KFC and Burger King would leave a better impression.

2  Thank Wendy O