“Cold & Lonely in Hanoi”

InterContinental Hanoi Westlake
Ranked #66 of 595 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed 8 March 2012

A weird place - for me, much much more "The Shining" than my own personal Shangri-La.

I expected tranquil & serene but found desolate & Stephen King (with a touch of Ian Fleming).

I know the various Intercontinentals are under different ownership & management, but this still came as a big disappointment to me as I had found the Intercontinental in Saigon to be one of the warmest & liveliest hotels I have ever visited. Difference may also be a bit of a North/South thing, not sure.

Anyway, the Westlake Hanoi is huge with endless "Get Smart" hallways and Bridges to Nowhere but few guests to be seen. Most of the rooms had lights on at night meaning the place was close to full but it just felt empty & cold. In pictures, it looks good, but in reality it has all the warmth & charm of the lair of a James Bond villain.

I think the problem lies in it being mainly a tourist transit hotel. Guests seem to be exhausted middle-aged or older Europeans or Americans on their way to or from Halong Bay as part of an Asian Grand Tour. They must be sleeping off their travels & eating room service because the restaurants, bars, even the Club Lounge, were totally dead at all times. The only times I saw the place lively was at tour bus loadouts at the beginning or end of the day.

Service is sort of iffy but I think the staff just falls into a stupor as there is usually so little for them to do. Also as such a package tourist-y hotel, it was so hard to break through & be treated as something other than just another Westerner (e.g. ordering Vietnamese coffee (in Vietnamese) & getting watery American coffee with cold, white milk because "that's what foreigners like" or ordering a Vietnamese dinner (again, in Vietnamese) & having a knife & fork smacked down on the table in front of you). By the end, staff warmed up but it was difficult.

Aggravatingly, online booking, even as an Ambassador member booking a Club Room, was met with a barrage of "upselling" as in: "As you are a Gold Ambassador, you will get a free upgrade to higher category. Thus, as a suggestion, we would like offer you to take our Junior Suite at the additional charge of US$80.00 plus 15.5% taxes per room per night." This kind of upselling continued even after I wrote that I did not want a big room because my wife was not accompanying me on this trip & would prefer to spend my money in the restaurant & the bar. Overall, I was made to feel like a cheapskate for not booking a bigger room, instead of a welcomed frequent guest. This has never happened to me when booking any other Intercontinental - should have seen it as some sort of a warning.

Last straw was being handed my check at the main Diplomat Lounge at 11:10PM on a Saturday night without any "last call" warning. A hotel bar just cannot close at that hour, especially on a Saturday night. There were still other customers in the bar & there we were, after enduring (or succumbing to) all the upselling on rooms, eager to spend more money but, in effect, being thrown out. I was sorely tempted to go to the bar in the Sheraton next door & deal with all the reported dodgy business there just to get a proper nightcap.

Should also add the Tay Ho area outside the hotel is pretty grim & makes the Old Quarter look like Singapore. Forget about taking a walk anywhere. The 1/2 mile or so walk to Bobby Chinn's one night & an aborted walk to HCM's mausoleum the next afternoon were truly death-defying (from a pedestrian standpoint) & I considered myself lucky to escape with nothing worse than a mud-splattering.

Overall, unless you are on a package & just passing through, having stayed at both, I suggest The Metropole as the warmer, livelier, more charming choice in Hanoi.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank JayODHK
IHGCare, ihgcare at InterContinental Hanoi Westlake, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2012

Dear JayODHK,

Thank you very much for your feedback and please accept our apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced during your stay.

We will addressed the maters with the respective departments in order to avoid these unnecessary issues in the future.

I would like to thank you for your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Brenda J.
IHGCare

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Hanoi Westlake

Reviewed 6 March 2012

Although there is a hiccup in my reservation but the hotel has finally honoured the rate, it does not affect my impression to the hotel but rather looking forward to my stay as part of my honeymoon. I am looking for a good location with is far from the hustle bustle of Hanoi CBD, perhaps overlooking the Hanoi city skyline and facing the Westlake – ICH ticked all the boxes.

I stay at the first floor at the island pavilion, the room is spacious, with the balcony overlooking the Hanoi Westlake and the city. The wall is thin and no sound insulation where you could easily hear your ‘neighbour’s’ conversation. The Sunset bar will have a good lake view, relaxing and watching the sunset. But my room include club lounge access. Finger foods in the lounge are interesting and also you can help yourself with the drinks. This might be the first time I have cocktail with no decoration on the glass. I think it looks more appealing even if the cocktails are nothing to shout about. The club lounge itself is spacious where you can find your own corner to relax, watch tv, reading, chatting with friends.

Never try the restaurants on site. But the room service for dinner is actually not bad. Sampled most of their signature Vietnamese dishes and surprisingly the price is not very expensive with generous portion of food. Breakfast is OK, with western and Vietnamese cuisine. I hope the waitress be more attentive to refill juices.

For the downside, there is no heated pool so it is a challenge to swim during winter. The maintenance could be better as there are bird droppings stain on the raked eaves with exposed rafters. Although the location is right in the middle of the cbd, taxi by meter is on stand by and ready to take you to your destination. Overall an enjoyable stay!

Room Tip: You may need buggy service to transfer to island pavilion or a pleasant walk. Else request to stay a...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KennyCheah
Andreas-Rud, General Manager at InterContinental Hanoi Westlake, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2012

Dear Quinzzy,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments from your recent stay. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the pavilions. The hotel's location does allow you to stay away from the busy Hanoi day to day life.

I am pleased you enjoyed Club InterContinental, it is great value for money and is something we are constantly trying to improve and challenge ourselves.

I take on-board your thoughts on a garnish for drinks. This should happen and perhaps it was just an occasion where we did not meet the standard, I will follow up with the team.

The pool not being heated is something that does not effect us much, most of the year it is hot and not required but for a couple of months it does get cool here and we find the majority of guests do not have a requirement. You need to come back after March and will the pool area to be fantastic, we offer a BBQ in the afternoon where you can relax and enjoy like you would in any other resort type hotel.

Please let me know when you are returning so I can look after your needs.

Thanks

Reviewed 5 March 2012

We stayed at the Intercontinental on our last day in Vietnam after 2 nights at Halong Bay. It is an extremely large hotel, but still felt comfortable. The rooms were excellent, with a fantastic shower and a deep relaxing bath. The bed was one of the most comfortable in Vietnam.

The food was very good, with an excellent breakfast buffet.

The weather was overcast, so swimming was luckily out, as the pool was freezing.

I'd recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheTillyDog

Dear TheTillyDog,

Thank you for the kind words from your recent stay, great to hear that you loved the space of the rooms. Our hotel has the largest room size in Hanoi with 42 Sqm. Great beds and great showers are a real feature of the InterContinental brand and I am glad we lived up to this expectation.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon

Reviewed 1 March 2012

Me and two of my friends travelled the coast of Vietnam from North to South and this was our first hotel experience of Vietnam. The hotel was beautiful, the lobby was tastefully decorated and we received a warm welcome from the front desk staff. Our room was one over the lake and one of the porters took us over in a golf buggy type vehicle. The room was very large, clean and had a breathtaking view over the lake. The bathroom was also really big with a large walk in shower as well as a deep bath tub in which I enjoyed a long hot soak after three days constant travelling. The hotel is more on the outskirts of hanoi but is only a short and cheap taxi journey from the centre.
At the end of our stay we had arranged a boat cruise in Halong bay for x2 nights and the hotel staff offered to store our main backpacks in the hotel so we could just take small bags with the essentials and then come back to pick up our backpacks after the tour. This isn't even something we would of thought to ask for and it was really nice that the staff offered us such a service. During our stay the food was outstanding and we also enjoyed a few drinks in the outdoor bar which looked over the lake and was very relaxing.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank SSAALL

Dear SSAALL,

Thanks for your comments, I don't think I can add any more than what you have said. Wonderful to hear that we met your expectation in being the nicest hotel you have ever stayed in.

Great comments about our team going out of their way to assist you with your luggage for the trip to Halong bay, great advice for many guests.

Also glad you enjoyed Sunset bar, which is by far my favourite destination in Hanoi whether you are a guest here or not, to sit there and watch the sunset and the world sink into the night is a great way to remember your Hanoian experience.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance

Reviewed 29 February 2012

Although the setting of this hotel was nice being on a lake and away from the gritty hustle and bustle of noisy hanoi, it was not an overly pleasant stay.

The lobby was tastefully decorated befitting a hotel of this class.

We came as a family of 5 adults and 3 young kids for new years eve with a tour group. We stayed in three bungalows on the lake away from main building. Free wifi in the lobby was not too slow but if you sat on the lounge chairs you were constantly bothered to order drinks. The staff in the lobby were very unkind to young children as they were shooed away from Xmas themed items on displayed in case they touched it.

My husband went to the front desk to ask for a map of the city and the lady behind the desk glared at him and demanded to know his room number. I have never been greeted like this at any hotel in this manner.

Being new years ever, there was a party in the outdoor bar area in the lake and sound proofing of the room was non existent. We had an early plane to catch so we finally feel asleep with the party died out around 2am.

Because it was a busy period, the main breakfast room was crowded and guests were directed to the upstairs buffet area. This area has less selection and even more less appealing when my brother pointed out to the staff that the fresh cream served with the waffle tasted sour and rather than investigate it, the staff member replied, it´s supposed to taste like that and walked away.

On our last day the staff had forgotten to pick up our lugguage and delayed us by half hour and to their credit, the manager got on our bus to say sorry.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building, if it rains going to the rooms won´t be fun and in the summer possibly mo...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank pspf

Dear bbsniggyg,

Thank you for posting your comments about your stay in my hotel. I am disappointed to read about it not being to your expectations.

I will take on board your thoughts and feed them back to the team. I can understand your feeling about the staff seeming rude. In my experience I find that they are not aware of their reactions when listening to English, while we work hard at having English trained staff it still is a second language and can be difficult. This may be why they reacted this way. I know that I personally have to check myself daily and repeat myself to ensure that I am communicating effectively. But thanks for the feedback.

Surprised to hear that you did not enjoy Milan our Italian restaurant being open for breakfast. I actually prefer it, great natural light and offering absolutely the same items as our main restaurant Cafe de Lac, in fact we also open our Vietnamese restaurant Saigon for breakfast. I find it gives my guests some variety with different locations. Personal taste perhaps.

The picking up of luggage is important to note and I will feed back to the team to ensure this does not occur again.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.