“Beware tourist trap!”

Cha Ca La Vong
Ranked #1,827 of 2,550 Restaurants in Hanoi
Price range: USD 5 - USD 10
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Visit this street after a long day of sight-seeing for a traditional dish of fish fried tableside with herbs, spices, onions, peanuts, and rice noodles.
Reviewed 18 May 2017

Tourist Trap at this no 14 Cha Ca La Vong restaurant!! We came here following recommendation on our hotel tourist map. The lady owner came to us with menus showing the different set meals for grilled fish. She spoke very little English and used hand signals to indicate to us that some fish dishes were pieces of fish while another was using fishcakes. There was no differentiation on the menu, so be aware. She also did not show us the menu indicating other dishes (rice, noodles etc) that the restaurant served, pushing instead the fish to us only. When the food came, we were shocked. For the little amount of fish that we were given, the prices were very steep. The fishcakes which didn't taste as nice as the fresh fish, we were given a little bit more of. The fresh fish pieces were only a measly four small bits! We felt cheated for the amount we had to pay. Will not be coming back. Be aware of this tourist trap!!!

4  Thank moonlotus18
Write a ReviewReviews (1,040)

Reviewed 8 May 2017 via mobile

This was our favorite restaurant from our recent holiday. Not only in Hanoi but in all of Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand. Simple, cheap, and amazing flavors.

2  Thank Ryan M
Reviewed 7 May 2017

I went there around 2.30 pm and was one of the last customers. I ordered the fish which was a bit hard and oily. Anyway I was so hungry since I had been walking all morning that I just ate it. However, it was very unpleasant to feel that my presence was not welcomed. The woman, who seemed to be the boss, was very serious and when I arrived she never said hello or the like and the first thing she did was to show me the price which was 170,000 dong (quite high for Vietnamese standards). I agreed and she took the order. They told me to sit at the first floor and when the food arrived and I started eating, a man came over and stood over my table to reach a vase on a shelf near the roof, he excused himself though, but then another lady came with a broom and started cleaning the floor and the lady boss was standing on the corner and said nothing about it. So I felt very uncomfortable eating and being afraid my food was going to get the dust from the sweeping around. As soon as I finished, I paid and regretted going to that place to pay that amount of money for that kind of service and food.

2  Thank CecilHorus
Reviewed 28 April 2017 via mobile

We often find something new to try and this is one of the best food in Hanoi. Grilled fish is delicous. Nice to give it a try.

Reviewed 27 April 2017 via mobile

We went because it says grilled fish is their specialty- they will not serve you real fish only fish cakes and it's fried not grilled like BBQ.
Service is bad and overpriced!!!

2  Thank TchiLuanda