“Best food in Hanoi”

Cha Ca La Vong
Ranked #1,823 of 2,527 Restaurants in Hanoi
Price range: USD 5 - USD 10
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Visit this street after a long day of sight-seeing for a traditional dish of fish fried tableside with herbs, spices, onions, peanuts, and rice noodles.
Reviewed 8 May 2017 via mobile

This was our favorite restaurant from our recent holiday. Not only in Hanoi but in all of Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand. Simple, cheap, and amazing flavors.

2  Thank Ryan M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,029)

Reviewed 7 May 2017

I went there around 2.30 pm and was one of the last customers. I ordered the fish which was a bit hard and oily. Anyway I was so hungry since I had been walking all morning that I just ate it. However, it was very unpleasant to feel that my presence was not welcomed. The woman, who seemed to be the boss, was very serious and when I arrived she never said hello or the like and the first thing she did was to show me the price which was 170,000 dong (quite high for Vietnamese standards). I agreed and she took the order. They told me to sit at the first floor and when the food arrived and I started eating, a man came over and stood over my table to reach a vase on a shelf near the roof, he excused himself though, but then another lady came with a broom and started cleaning the floor and the lady boss was standing on the corner and said nothing about it. So I felt very uncomfortable eating and being afraid my food was going to get the dust from the sweeping around. As soon as I finished, I paid and regretted going to that place to pay that amount of money for that kind of service and food.

2  Thank CecilHorus
Reviewed 28 April 2017 via mobile

We often find something new to try and this is one of the best food in Hanoi. Grilled fish is delicous. Nice to give it a try.

Reviewed 27 April 2017 via mobile

We went because it says grilled fish is their specialty- they will not serve you real fish only fish cakes and it's fried not grilled like BBQ.
Service is bad and overpriced!!!

2  Thank TchiLuanda
Reviewed 27 April 2017 via mobile

This place just serves one dish, and doesn't open for long each night (a sign that they're doing something well right?) it's essential catfish cooked in a turmeric marinade and brought to your table while it's cooking. You can then add the herbs (spring onion, coriander, dill, Thai basil etc.) to your pan to soak up the juices. All served with noodles, peanuts and some dipping sauce. We really loved our dinner, and it came at just the right point - we were looking some something really light and fresh. The restaurant itself is on the second floor of 14 Cha Ca La Vong, make sure you take in the house numbers properly as a couple copy cat restaurants unashamedly include 14 on their signs e.g. 8, 14 Cha Ca La Vong...