“Good Value for Money”
Review of Rosaliza Hotel

Rosaliza Hotel
Ranked #186 of 599 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed 14 November 2010

Hotel is located in good location, walking distance from the main areas of Hanoi (lakes, government districts, Metropole). Breakfast is excellent, but order the pho noodles and/or the excellent breads, rather than the leftover Western dishes from the previous night. Service staff are excellent, although hotel had constant IT related problems (internet went down many times, both wireless and LAN; checking out took a long time due to software problems). Dining options near hotel limited. Nevertheless, good quality of service and environment for Hanoi, given the pretty good rates this hotel is offering.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank RoadWarriorSingapore

Reviewed 30 June 2010

Between November 2007 and June 2010 I have stayed in the Rosaliza Hotel a couple of times, also for extended periods of time (up to 3 weeks). And I have to say that I really enjoy staying in this hotel. The staff is very friendly and helpful, and they know and recognize their regular guests even when there has been quite some time in between 2 stays. The rooms are comfortable and clean and the internet works well and is for free.

The restaurant/breakfast room is small and can get crowded especially during the "rush hour" for breakfast. However, as a result of sharing a table with other people, I also have had very interesting discussions with other guests.

The hotel is located a litte bit out of the old quarter and main tourist area, but I find this an advantage because it is also a bit more quiet. There are several nice restaurants within walking distance of the Rosaliza Hotel. Using a business card of the hotel, taxi drivers have always been able to find the Rosaliza Hotel without problems.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 December 2009

I think overall the hotel is nice and clean. It provides all the neccessary facilities and services one could possibly want during their travel. The hotel offer free internet, but I recommend that you ask for ethernet cable as the wireless signal tends to be quite weak.

The biggest downside of this hotel is that it allows people to smoke in the restaurant and lobby.

It's about 20 minutes walk from Hoam Kiem Lake but you can always take a taxi to the center at about VND 25,000 (USD $1.50). If you need a taxi, just ask the receptionists and they'll call a taxi for you at no extra cost.

I'm not a big breakfast person so I find that the hotel offers a decent meal considering what I'm paying for. I had Spaghetti Bolognese this morning with a glass of freshly squeezed watermelon.

My room rate? USD50 per night for the Superior room.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank JLBangkok-Manager
Reviewed 27 November 2009

I've stayed at the Rosaliza 3-4 times over the past three years. I don't like the standard western style tourist hotels - too expensive and too insolating from the local experience, but I'm not comfortable booking very inexpensive hotels either. I've stayed here while traveling with my family, with my daughter, and with my wife. I've always felt I had a pleasant experience and got a reasonable value.

Having said that, some of the complaints that are mentioned in the other reviews are accurate. Breakfast is limited and I had difficulty with cigarette smoke coming in from an adjacent room during one stay.

On the other hand, the staff are outstanding - very helpful, friendly, and always available. It's one of the friendliest places I've ever stayed. The nicer upstairs rooms - junior suite, etc., are very attractive and nicely equipped. Each room I have stayed in has been very clean. I have not tried the least expensive rooms.

The location is a little outside the old quarter and not particularly close to the markets and tourist area on the north side of the lake. I didn't find that to be a problem. There are several interesting restaurants within a five minute walk, and taxis are very inexpensive.

Overall, I've enjoyed my stays. It's far from perfect, but this hotel has some nice aspects that have brought me back several times.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 November 2008

I was booked into this hotel by my travel agent and paid for six nights in advance at AUD165 per night. The purpose of the trip was to scope out a business opportunity, and gain some familiarity with the country.

I have travelled extensively in SE Asia and have to say this hotel experience was the worst I have encountered.

After checking in I noticed that the toilet was emptying very slowly when flushed. The situation rapidly deteriorated with sewerage bubbling up into the bowl and overflow iminent. When I say sewerage I do not mean cloudy water, I am talking stinking lumpy brown gravy. The bathroom reeked and this smell filtered back into the room despite leaving the exhaust fan on all night. This situation persisted for at least two days despite several polite discussions at the front desk, and I was forced to use the bathroom in the foyer of another hotel on two ocasions. After I got considerably more vocal and visibly upset I was eventually moved to a different room.

Unfortunately, the sewerage was not the only issue. The "restaurant and bar" consists of a handful of tables and is too small to accomodate the number of people in the hotel. This meant that on some days when going downstairs for breakfast I could not find anywhere to sit, and was forced to slink back to my room to wait and try again later. The food was also patchy, in that often most of the fruit was gone and several of the hot food options were finished by 8am. My advice is get downstairs at 6.31am or miss out.

I asked for an iron to press some shirts for my meetings but that simple request was refused and I had to pay extra to get shirts ironed.

The location is too far south to be convenient for either tourist activities or business. Also, the hotel is not well known and despite carrying a marked-up map (provided by the hotel) to show to taxi drivers I was taken to the wrong hotel on three occasions.

One of my meetings in HCMC was rescheduled and this meant I had to leave Hanoi a day earlier than planned, before returning a few days later. I asked if I could use the one remaining prepaid night following my return (as well buying an extra night or two) but this was refused despite availability of rooms. It was explained to me that "I have already check with my director and you cannot move a the night because we have already turn away another guest" This may be true, but I would have thought after living in a sewerage pumping plant for two days they could have cut me a little slack.

Vietnam is a wonderful country to visit, but the fetid smell of the Rosaliza has seeped deeply into the back of my brain and will be hard to erase.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank matt61