See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 June 2015 via mobile

The Mango hotel served its purpose, it is not nice, actually it's terrible, but in a handy location next to the train station to wait for the train to Sapa.

We arrived in Hanoi at approximately 4pm and had a pre-booked transfer to the Mango hotel to wait for our train leaving at 9pm. The hotel is owned by the company that operates the train, so was recommended by them as a starting point.

We ended up renting a room here twice, to fill in the time between arriving in Hanoi and catching the train to Sapa and when the train arrived back in Hanoi at 4am until our pickup at 8am that morning.

The first stay we paid 250,000 vnd for a room. The room had a bed, a bathroom and an aircon. It's condition matched all other TripAdvisor reviews, old and damp. We were in good spirits so for the few hours we spent there, so overall it was a funny experience.

The second stay was 400,000 vnd, which we were not happy about paying after our previous experience, but it was 4am, our tour was picking us up from this hotel at 8:30, so alternate options were limited. This room was much better, almost nice you could say, it did not have the damp qualities of our first stay. In fact it did not seem like the same hotel as our first experience. The window opened onto to the train station platform, so it was very noisy.

In summary:
Pros: location for the train
Cons: No English speaking staff - very frustrating, huge difference between quality of rooms, average food.

If you have just arrived in Hanoi and you have a couple of hours to kill before the train to Sapa. This place can serve that purpose. Any more than a couple of hours... Find somewhere else.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2015

Mango hotel is a hotel with its own private entrance to the railway station. It operates with Ratraco Trains. This hotel is more like a resting place before the 8hrs train ride. Its very basic. Reception could not speak much English. There was a point where the reception received a call, an english lady was on the line, since I was infront of the receptionist, she handed me the phone. It turns out she wanted me to help speak to the english lady on the line. Rather funny!

All i can say is, this is a very basic 2 star hotel. Do not expect much from it. Just treat it like a rest area for a shower n quick nap before the train arrive.

Stayed: March 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 March 2015

Ethnic Travel sold me this disappointing $18 add-on that I had bought pre-trip prior to taking a Ha Long Bay cruise. Ethnic Travel suggested that I take a hotel room with breakfast for a few hours to bide my time between them picking me up in the a.m. and the 5 a.m. arrival of my overnight bus from the north. The Mango Hotel -- to use a phrase coined by Ashton Kutcher -- blew donkey. The Mango Hotel has a lot of stairs and apparently no lift and no bell boy. The hotwater in the shower is limited. The train station PA system is loud and just outside your window so sleep is impossible. The included breakfast was disappointing and the worst I had at any hotel my three weeks in Vietnam.

Room Tip: Not facing the train station.
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank sanfranciscoartbuyer
Reviewed 19 August 2014

(I just finished traveling around Indonesia and Vietnam for two and a half weeks with extended family consisting of 26 people - 13 adults and 13 kids, including my 4 month old)

I love reading the reviews here - others have come face to face with this institution called Mango Hotel. =) During my travels I sometimes encounter hotels that seem like a "luxury hotel for lower class locals." That's this place to a T. Our Ha Long Bay tour guide negotiated for us to store our luggage here for the afternoon as we waited for our train to Sapa (notice how almost no one has actually tried to sleep here?).

The front desk staff didn't speak english and they were rude to us. The people working in the restaurant were exceptionally rude with no english skills, and the food was horrible (sometimes inedible) and very expensive. I guess the only redeeming quality for this place is the location, as well as the Seasons Greetings Christmas decorations in the windows in August!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

The room smelt old and like mold although it seemed to be generally clean. Furniture was old and the matress very thin. The Staff was not very friendly. Breakfast was omelette vor soup, coffee and butter for bread had to be paid extra. Although the Hotel is next to the Train station, it was surprisingly quiet during the night.

• Stayed: March 2014