See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 March 2015

Ethnic Travel sold me this disappointing $18 add-on that I had bought pre-trip prior to taking a Ha Long Bay cruise. Ethnic Travel suggested that I take a hotel room with breakfast for a few hours to bide my time between them picking me up in the a.m. and the 5 a.m. arrival of my overnight bus from the north. The Mango Hotel -- to use a phrase coined by Ashton Kutcher -- blew donkey. The Mango Hotel has a lot of stairs and apparently no lift and no bell boy. The hotwater in the shower is limited. The train station PA system is loud and just outside your window so sleep is impossible. The included breakfast was disappointing and the worst I had at any hotel my three weeks in Vietnam.

Room Tip: Not facing the train station.
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank sanfranciscoartbuyer
Reviewed 19 August 2014

(I just finished traveling around Indonesia and Vietnam for two and a half weeks with extended family consisting of 26 people - 13 adults and 13 kids, including my 4 month old)

I love reading the reviews here - others have come face to face with this institution called Mango Hotel. =) During my travels I sometimes encounter hotels that seem like a "luxury hotel for lower class locals." That's this place to a T. Our Ha Long Bay tour guide negotiated for us to store our luggage here for the afternoon as we waited for our train to Sapa (notice how almost no one has actually tried to sleep here?).

The front desk staff didn't speak english and they were rude to us. The people working in the restaurant were exceptionally rude with no english skills, and the food was horrible (sometimes inedible) and very expensive. I guess the only redeeming quality for this place is the location, as well as the Seasons Greetings Christmas decorations in the windows in August!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

The room smelt old and like mold although it seemed to be generally clean. Furniture was old and the matress very thin. The Staff was not very friendly. Breakfast was omelette vor soup, coffee and butter for bread had to be paid extra. Although the Hotel is next to the Train station, it was surprisingly quiet during the night.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We booked the room to just take a shower and leave the luggage before the trip to Sapa. However we found this already to be adventurous - I wouldn't recommend to shower without shoes since there were fungi on the walls, I don't know how one can sleep there. Also the train to Sapa leaves on the other side of the station so there are closer and better options available.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

First night in Hanoí, after long trip my only idea was rest and wake up late. They gave me the room 315 on the train station side, no train at all but they are doing works in a wall, so around 7 am started terrible noise.
The stuff were rude on the night, they even came to room or floor to show me where is it.
Room simply, no luxury for the £4 I paid, ( now I know why). Matress hard...
Dont waste your money ;)