“Good motel stay (good stay after that overnight train ride)”
Review of Mango Hotel

Mango Hotel
Ranked #501 of 603 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I was expecting far less esp since ratings weren't that great & the price tag it came with. I wanted a place to crash in & shower after long weary overnight train ride. However in all honesty its not bad & in fact good. I barely heard traffic (there were no trains moving but I was close to alot of hustle & bustle still) anything from my room. It was clean enough. The bed was hard that I must admit. The pho served in breakfast was really good (however their breakfast strangely doesnt include drinks??). The staff barely spoke English. The taxi rate is cheaper than from Old Quarter (VND 300k instead of VND 400k). Its quite away from the Hoan Kiem/ Old Quarter district though (that's where the action is and shd be) BUT having said that its probably 20-30mins walk away & you always can hop onto a local's bike & ride to-&-fro barely costing you much. Maybe this would not have been the best place if I stayed my 1st night in Hanoi here. So it depends on you. I think its a pretty decent motel to stay in and would recommend to those who want such categories as its a good one.

Room Tip: Stay here like what I did (a place to crash in before the flight out).
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 29 August 2013

Verdict:
- I will not stay here again

I was taking a night train from Hanoi to Sapa, and needed somewhere to take a shower and rest for 4-5 hours before the train journey. Mango Hotel is situated next to the train station.

Room Type: 2 single beds
Paid: US$15.00 (negotiated with hotel staff; intended stay for 4-5 hours)

The outside and reception area of the hotel looks modern and new. The hotel rooms are NOT! All the furniture in the hotel room dates back to at least 1970-80s. The bed was slightly softer than hardwood. I am sure I wouldn't be able to sleep well if I had to sleep overnight at Mango Hotel.

The room was generally clean though.

The shower room is small and has no shower screen. After a shower, the shower room is all wet.

The reception staff was OK, not overly service-oriented or friendly.

This hotel is state-owned.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank LifesExplorer
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Stayed for a couple of hours after the train from Sapa was getting picked up for Halong Bay I don't know how anyone could sleep in the hotel I needed to shower but aircondioner was broken and the room was dirty so can't say I felt much better. I believe they shoulday people to stay there!!!
Sue
Australia

Room Tip: Another hotel!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susan M
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We chose this hotel because it was close to the train station, however, we found another hotel after one night. It is very noisy and the matress was extremely hard. When you get away from the reception it is not. very clean and the staff was inpolite.
Generelly it was a very bad experience, and we would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Soeren346
Reviewed 29 December 2012

The staff we experienced where very rude claiming we had stolen bottles of water from the room and ignored us having their own conversation. The beds had springs sticking up and the air conditioning was broken however we did not know upon check-in however the hotel sent someone to repair it when we where in the room which i thought was bizarre. Despite the hotel being cheap there was no lift and the uneven steps made it difficult to move cases up to your bedrooms. Don't be fooled by the reception area as it is very modern and the restaurant very clean. The hotel is in close to the train station which meant it was the obvious choice for us however I recommend you find a far nicer hotel than this one, which boasts two stars, but doesn't deserve them.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends