“Best thing we did in Hanoi!”

Hanoi Backstreet Tours
Ranked #1 of 916 Tours in Hanoi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hanoi Backstreet Tours organizes Food, Culture, Sight & Fun Tours in and around Hanoi on Vintage Jeep, Motorcycle & Foot. We significantly provide unique, impactful and once in a life-time food, culture & fun experiences for those who want to learn and discover the real Hanoi, to live a day in the life of Hanoi, to enjoy authentic local foods and cultural connections.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We did this tour a few days ago and loved it! The other reviews are right that you shouldn’t eat much for breakfast and definitely don’t make lunch plans, as this is not just a bike tour!!! It was awesome as not only did you get to ride the bikes around Hanoi (amazing how serene it felt in such chaos), it covered food tasting, wet markets, black markets, city life and rural life. We all had different “favourite bits” from the tour too which was great as shows the range of experiences that are shared. Our tour was led by Chinh who was fantastic - calm, caring, smart and passionate, a wonderful combo. A really interesting person to spend some time with and great to be able to ask him lots of questions that had come to mind as we’d been experiencing Vietnam. The other drivers were lovely also (though most didn’t speak English). I love also that 10% of ticket price goes to the October Foundation (there is info on this on Backstreet’s website) - looks like a really good and genuine charity which is supporting the community. I really wish you and the Founders well with that.

2  Thank Sophia R
"meet local people"
"rush hour traffic"
"local family"
in 8 reviews
"highly recommend this tour to anyone"
"local food"
in 15 reviews
"come hungry"
in 6 reviews
"alley ways"

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I recently took the Hanoi Backstreet Tour on a friend’s recommendation. I’ve traveled in Vietnam a lot and thought few tours could truly surprise and impress me at this point. Boy was I wrong! This tour combined so many great elements and did each of them to perfection. They took us to parts of Hanoi I hadn’t been to (and that’s saying a lot! Did you know that there are country farms right in the heart of Hanoi only 10 minutes from the Old Town?!). They took me on a very unique food tour (not your usual bahn xeo, pho, bahn mi that most other food tours include). They shared lots of history about Vietnam and Hanoi in particular … all done by motorbikes. Cool old Russian Minsks at that! The guys that work for this tour company are required to train for 3 months on their motorbikes before they can drive a guest. So they’re very well prepared.

Tony was my driver and the head of the tour I went on. He spoke great English and has the most delightful and fun personality. The other drivers were a lot of fun as well. I lead tours so I polled the other guests during some downtime and every one of them (5 others) rated it a 10. I will definitely be including the Hanoi Backstreet Tour as part of my Hanoi tour from now on.

1  Thank Beverly H
Reviewed 6 April 2018

This tour is the best way to see many different parts of Hanoi. Since you are on a motor bike, you can cover a significant amount of ground. I had never ridden a motor bike before and was scared at first but the drivers are very polite and great drivers. If you want to see the different walks of life or hidden gems within the city, this tour is for you.

There are many different types of food during the tour, sampling snacks, desserts, and traditional meal dishes. The tour guides are well verse in the culture and history of the food/city so there is an excellent description that provide depth to the tour.

10/10 would recommend doing this tour!

2  Thank Tommy C
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

From the moment we were picked up by our drivers (Happy and Zooey) we knew we would be in for a great time. After meeting up with Chinh (our tour guide for the night) and the other guests on our tour we headed off through parts of Hanoi we didn’t even know existed. Down through narrow alleys. Along the way we stopped for a bit of information about the area and taste some treats from local store holders. We tried some delicious roast pork and locally brewed beer. We enjoyed a feast and some happy water at another restaurant which I have to say was one of the best meals we have enjoyed so far on our trip. We visited the nightly lowering of the Vietnamese flag at Hoi Chi Mins Mausoleum then onto Train Street to witness the 9:30 train from SaPa. All in all this was an excellent evening and we would highly recommend.

1  Thank Tracy A
See more reviews
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

It is realy an unique tour!
Tony established a vintage motorbikes touring company with a community oriented approach.
He takes you with his great guys to the bsck door of hanoi to places that no one whould take you and tell the story of the places the pepole through wide aspects with wide views, honest and generous. He realy knows how to tell a story. He loves pepole and feels like he got this inner value of codes about community rights and sharing with the community. We took the culinary tour but it was not only culinary. It envolved all aspects of today life in vietnam history and truth. He is a warm kind living person and the tour was wonderfull. The riding on the bike in the narrow back streets parts of the city was exciting. The food was great. Also the ride to the country side of hanoi. We recommand this tour greatly.

2  Thank Eitan G