“Dong Xuan Night Market”
Review of Night Market

Night Market
Ranked #58 of 285 things to do in Hanoi
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Hanoi night market, also known as Dong Xuan night market, held on weekend evenings in the Old Quarter of Ha Noi. Basically, I went because the night market is very close to my stayed hotel. Overall, I think it is worth a visit to experience the local lifestyle. You can see locals and tourists mingle along the streets. People were everywhere and the locals like to push their way through the crowd.

As a whole, many stalls were selling the same things and isn’t much unique stuffs being sold here. Therefore, walk back half way. However, I still managed to buy some souvenirs, clothes, hand make Christmas card and etc. On the other hand, many reviews and my tour guide do remind me regarding the pickpocketing issues. Therefore, I keep all my valuables at the hotel.

3  Thank ShawnLiv

Reviewed 27 December 2013

After reading the other reviews on here I decided to contribute an in depth review that addresses all aspects of the night market and hopefully clears up a few things. Here goes.

GENERAL INFO:
This night market operates only on the weekends (Fri-Sunday). It is decent sized and starts near the Northwest Corner of Hoàn Kiếm Lake on Hàng Đào Road. It runs north along Hàng Đào Road for roughly 8 blocks and ends at the edge of the old quarter where the railroad tracks go above the street. It also has a side extension that runs east along Hàng Khoai Road on the north side of Chợ Đồng Xuân Market. The roads are blocked off and popup booths are erected in the center of the streets creating two lanes of foot traffic. There are also booths on the sides of the street, so while walking down either of the two lanes you will usually have booths on either side of you. To see all the booths you can traverse the length of the market on one side and then return to the beginning on the other side. Foot traffic generally runs in one direction (north in the east lane and south in the west lane). The market starts setting up around 6pm and really gets going sometime between 7-8pm.

AMBIENCE:
The majority of people at the night market are local Vietnamese. It has a somewhat festive atmosphere. Some of the stalls play techno or dance music (which I actually like). It can be very crowded and there are definitely moments when the foot traffic flow comes to a standstill.

SHOPPING:
Most of the stuff being sold is geared towards the locals (such as basic clothing, jackets, belts, handbags, cell phone cases, etc). For the most part it is basically the same kind of stuff found along the street during the day. There are also some booths more geared towards tourists that have handicrafts, t-shirts, etc. In general there isn't much unique goods being sold here that can't be found around the old quarter during the day. Pricing also didn't seem any better from what I could tell.

FOOD:
There isn't much food being sold here. I would recommend getting dinner at a restaurant before going to the night market because it doesn't have much to offer. With that said, there are some food booths and strolling food venders scattered along the length of the market. They mostly offer snacks such as grilled meat on a stick, french fries, cotton candy, snack pancakes, steamed corn, etc. There is also a small food court with roughly 8 restaurants located at the northwest corner of Chợ Đồng Xuân Market (near the north end of the night market). These restaurants don't seem to be anything special and have similar pricing and selection as other normal restaurants in the old quarter.

PICK POCKETS:
After reading all the reviews on here about pick pockets, I decided to leave my valuables at the hotel and came to the night market with empty pockets and a small amount of money tucked in a hidden pocket in my jacket. I traversed the length of the market numerous times and never encountered any thieves. I was actually hoping to find some and was looking forward to potentially busting them in the act. Perhaps the issue is subsiding, or perhaps I am not a likely target, or perhaps I just wasn't in the right place at the right time. However, I can see how pick pockets could be successful at this market because the tight packed crowds create an ideal environment for such things. So be aware, but chances are you will be fine if you take normal precautions.

MOTORCYCLES:
Yes, there are occasionally motorcycles that attempt to use the footpaths which creates a logistical mess. However, the streets are closed off to traffic and they aren't supposed to be there. I only saw it happen a few times and it was because their motorcycle was already parked along the street before it got shut down to traffic and they were trying to get out. There were also security guards at every intersection who were giving the motorcycles a hard time and preventing other ones from entering the walking paths.

SUMMARY:
Compared to other SE Asia night markets that I have visited, this one is nothing special. I was actually kind of surprised because I would think Hanoi would have a great night market. However, I still think it is worth a visit, especially if you happen to be staying in or near the old quarter on a weekend. It may not be amazing, but it is something to do. I personally wouldn't come to the night market to shop or eat, but rather to simply wander the market in a crowd of Vietnamese locals taking it all in.

17  Thank Shawn_Storm
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I've been to a number of markets before but this is by far the largest. It takes a good hour just to see everything and could easily occupy several hours if searching the stalls and buying things.

Unfortunately, there is a fairly limited range of products available. Most of the stalls are selling similar selections of clothes and trinkets with the odd different shop here and there. I hardly saw anything that interested me but if you like touristy t-shirts then you'd probably love it. You can find most (if not all) of the same stuff at the shops nearby any time.

Apparently the market only runs on Friday-Sunday nights but again, you aren't missing much if you don't see it.

Reviewed 13 December 2013

I didn't have any trouble or problems with people at the night market, and don't know why other people did. Just like anywhere else in the world, use common sense and don't make yourself a target! That being said, the market isn't spectacular. It's always fun to mingle with crowds and take in the sights and sounds of a Southeast Asian market, especially at night, but don't expect to come across any great finds in the stalls.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Heard bad reports of this through trip advisor but I was pleasantly surprised! as long as you take sensible precautions as you would anywhere where there is big crowds i.e. bag close and infront of you and be aware then there are no problems!

We got there early, for 7pm, and spent about an hour walking around. Granted most of the stalls just offer what is in the shops during the day but things are cheaper and you can bargain a bit more. We found none of the owners to be pushy and they let us pick up/look at items.

Worth a visit one night for an hour or so, just take the same precautions you would anywhere else in the world where there are big crowds!!

2  Thank lissruss