“Awesome guide. But not free”

Hanoi Free Local Tours
Ranked #69 of 242 Food & Drink in Hanoi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hanoi Free Local Tours (HFLT), a non-profit organization, is established to bring tourists and locals together. Therefore, Tourists can truly explore our culture, custom, history and local people have the opportunity of reaching their full potential . Tourists coming to Vietnam will have the chance to talk, make friends with locals so you could have a deep understanding of our country.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We had a great time with Thao on our walking tour. She was very knowledgeable and we learnt a lot. She also took us to some great local spots for egg coffee and noodle soup which were fantastic. The 200,000vnd per person was a bit unfortunate and apparently goes to the company and not the guide. But we did have a great time.

Ad_LocalTours, General Manager at Hanoi Free Local Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

As a member of Hanoi Free Local Tours I would love to express my sincere thanks to you for giving us an exellent review.
We will do our best to bring better free local tours to both foreigners and vietnamese wanting to learn more about the culture, customs of Vietnam.

All reviews
"student guides"
"joseph's cathedral"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

i truely enjoy this city tour with may lovely girl. she tell n show us arround city n old quarter and help us bargain for the clothes n fruit n show us the address that we need. Bring us to the first egg coffee shop, great nice caphe. thanks to her this beautiful young girl n helpful jenny, thanks for the organisation, without you guys th trip wont be so wonderful.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Anh was very friendly, hilarious and attentive! My friend and I had a great time with Anh (Phuong Anh from Nc123), we tried many good street food/hidden places in Hanoi with Anh. This is probably the best way to try taste real local food in Hanoi, esp it was our second day in Vietnam and we haven't got our way around the city/country.
Anh was an energetic and funny uni student - we had an amazing time, lots of laughs and fun. Besides the food places, we also walked around some famous sights at night near the old quarter. We got to know so much more about the country, history and cultures of Hanoi. Thank you Anh!

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

We are a family of 4 who organised this tour at very short notice with Hanoi Free Local Tours as our tour with another organisation had been cancelled.
We had great communication via WhatsApp with a company rep who made some recommendations and organised our guide Phong to meet us in our hotel lobby.
Phong was a great guide, very knowledgeable about the city and its food and a really nice friendly guy. The places we visited served awesome food around the city (Vietnamese bbq, pho, ice cream, egg coffee) and Phong explained about the different places we visited. It was a great night and we would recommend this tour to anyone looking to try some local foods whilst exploring the city at the same time. Thank you Phong :-)

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 April 2018

Let me start by saying that I have lived in Hanoi for 2 years and have done a lot of walking tours. I have been very impressed by the student-run initiative of Hanoi’s Free Walking Tours and the personal touch the guides add through their local knowledge and personal relationship with Hanoi.

Recently, I had extended family visiting from Germany and decided to try Hanoi Free Local Tours instead, as the website promoted their well-trained guides. We chose the of the French Quarter and I (and my guests) were very disappointed. We all agreed that our guide was a lovely and kind young man, but aside from a few very basic facts, we did not really get much out of the tour and didn’t feel any personal, local touch was added. We ended up uploading a self-guided walking tour and using that to walk around the French Quarter after grabbing some lunch, which sadly offered more.

Now here is the real catch to this free walking tour - it is absolutely not free. There is a suggested donation of $9 per person to a maximum of $35 per group. We were a group of 3 adults and 3 children. When the tour ended, I offered 700 000 VND as a “tip” which is slightly over $30, more than $9 per adult. Our guide was quick to correct me and show me that my “fee” (clearly not a tip) was 790 000 vnd (closer to $35).

So here is my opinion. If you want a real local exchange, choose Hanoi Free Walking Tours. It is truly free (of course, tips are a nice thank you). If you want something professional, engaging and informative, and know you are getting your money’s worth, I would hire a professional tour guide. $35 will go a long way in this city!

I hope this was helpful!

4  Thank jendawnmarchand
Ad_LocalTours, Manager at Hanoi Free Local Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2018

In order to run the organisation and support the guide we expect a donation/ each tour. This will help us out with the Booking System, Training Programs, and Marketing...

Besides, the donation will be separated into 2 parts.
- Part 1: for the guide as the tip
- Part 2: For the organization operation.

Donation is not compulsory.
The expected amount is mentioned in case you are happy with it. But you can also choose the amount base on your satisfaction.

When we changed the policy (Before - Totally Free), this will make you feel uncomfortable, but this mount of money, we can be still working on this project.

Many thanks