See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Best things about this hotel? Location at the lake: near to good restaurants ( especially the V Cafe): good-sized and reasonably comfortable room. Otherwise a tired place which must have been attractive in its time but now shows little sign of investment in upkeep. Fridge in our room did not work and was not fixed over three days despite several reminders. Breakfasts? Mostly forgettable. Buffet depends on the number of people in-house ( and then is minimal) - otherwise it's mostly bread and coffee and fruit juice if you demand it when it doesn't appear. Over-priced for what it offers and in comparison with other hotels. Try somewhere else. The only reason we stayed there was because we were meeting our daughter and friends who had booked next door at Ngoc My (and they thought we had the better deal!!)

Room tip: Try to get room #1 which has a view of the lake
Date of stay: July 2013
Reviewed 14 July 2013

This was a very fancy, but tired, hotel. Beautiful position overlooking the lake, but the steps and ramp up and down from the road made it a nightmare for our tired knees. The room was average clean, but not bad all things considered. Great shower. The courtyard, which could be beautiful, was very run down and unloved. A lot of time spent watering pot plants, but never saw anybody with a broom while we were there. Breakfast was adequate. We'd had 3 torture days on our motor bikes so dropped our laundry into the hotel - it holds the record for the most expensive bag of laundry we have ever paid for - and all still smelt on its return. It was part of our pre-booked trip, but I suspect very expensive. Much better choices in Dalat, once we started exploring.

Room tip: Probably better ways to spend your money. Look for a ground floor room.
Date of stay: July 2013
1  Thank FijiChica
Reviewed 7 April 2013

The lake is beautiful and the promo pictures look great. The price for this hotel is relatively expensive when compared to others in the same district. The pictures are actually misleading. The grounds and hotel look like someone hasn't done much maintenance for a very long time. Doors rattle, shower door hard to open, mould all around the inside of the toilet, room smells "Old" . even the foyer is dark. The service was okay but just. So there ae plenty of other places to pick. Oh yes, don't be silly like us and think the lake would be a quiet location. It is the local hangout for people at night and so much nose from the bikes. I would stay up town away from the rush where the view is still good.

Date of stay: April 2013
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Stayed here for two nights (unfortunately) Definitely never again. A great location spoiled by a very poor hotel. Tired, needs cleaning properly and forget about the breakfast; there were four of us and we asked for glasses for juice and was brought ONE glass. Asked for butter and was totally ignored. Best thing to do is find somewhere else to sleep !!

Room tip: Somewhere else!
Date of stay: March 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 January 2013

The Empress Hotel is ideally located beside the lake and close to the markets and near many restaurants. The grounds are nice and the rooms are of a good size.

However ……

I was disappointed the room was not clean. There was matted hair in the corner of the room, a condom wrapper under the bead and two old stained tea bags in the ash tray that were the offering for tea making facilities. Not that the latter mattered much as there was no kettle to boil water anyway.

My flight was delayed by five hours and I was appalled by the treatment my travelling partner was given by hotel management. Despite having my booking name and confirmed reservation number, hotel reception advised her there was no reservation to be found. They then insisted she leave the hotel lobby and grounds and wait for me out on the street. On my arrival they accepted my name and produced the key to my room without asking for any reservation confirmation paperwork. This caused much distress and discomfort to my partner but when I complained to management about the treatment given they did not care.

With a little more care and better management principles put in place this would be one of the better places to stay in Dalat.

Date of stay: January 2013