“Disappointing visit to Maggs”

Maggs Restaurant Pattaya
Ranked #16 of 1,291 Restaurants in Pattaya
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 13 September 2018

I went to Maggs with high expectations, based on most reviews here, and prodding from my British friend. While not generally a fan of British fare, and hopeful of its "new cuisine", I really was hoping for the best.

First the pluses -- an absolutely delightful setting, spacious dining room with more than a touch of surprises, attentive staff, wonderful presentation and very kind and welcoming hosts.

Now for the bad part -- really the food was barely palatable. The Lobster Bisque was old and nearly putrid, the Pea Soup with Ham was so weak and tasteless that it appeared some dishwater had been added to the brew.

The best of our 3 entrees was the crispy pork which was flavorful and apparently fresh. My entree was the beef stew which was heavy but unrewarding and left a bad aftertaste. We shared the Blackberry and Apple crumble for dessert which was dry and anything-but-freshly-made.

I'm sorry to be so critical but I want diners to go with reasonable expectations. We dined on a Wednesday, in off-season, after the restaurant is closed for two days, so that might account for why things in general seemed so stale and old. Maybe on weekends, or nights with more customers, or in high-season you might have a better experience than we did. I sure hope so! We still love the friendly hosts but sorry we won't be coming back.

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank nungsong12

Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

We often go here for Sunday Brunch. We decided to try their Tuesday night prime rib special. There were 6 of us. We were all more than happy....so for our Anniversary Celebration this year our kids took us there once again for the prime rib special. So disappointed. Steaks were all different sizes, most were overcooked. We think the waitress must have been new or had never handled a large group (If you consider 11 a large group) Everyone had a baked potato, she brought one plate of toppings which were gone halfway around the table. Beverages were filled.....eventually. Beautiful facility, but disappointing evening.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 29 July 2018

I don't get to this establishment as often as I would like, but it is one of the nicest intimate restaurants in Pattaya without being obtrusive. Val and John are excellent hosts and the food, well, great value for money, great presentation and delicious which goes without saying.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

This is my 1st time in Pattaya and i stumbled across this awesome restaurant called Maggs ! In my 2 weeks holiday there I had the various meals all cooked to a high standard and with great efficient service and quality ... one of my most most favourite is the Pork belly that was expertly cooked by Val the Head chef , and very ably assisted by her husband John who runs front of house.
If your in Pattaya you must visit.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

Went back to Maggs again for the Sunday Dinner , you won’t find a more homemade example than this restaurant, it’s somewhere I keep forgetting about because I don’t see a social media presence, by far and away the best Sunday dinner in Pattaya , clean restaurant, welcoming owner and very good smiling staff! I had the 2 course Lamb Roast with Apple pie and custard to finish 500 baht , a bargain

Date of visit: June 2018