“Great Way to Watch a Movie”
Review of The Porch

The Porch
Ranked #58 of 90 things to do in Pattaya
Reviewed 28 September 2015

I only used the Porch once to see a film. I treated a local Thai Girl. You are treated like VIP guests, but there is a premium price approx 700 baht per each. A one off. You watch the movie from your own Circular comfy bed, which is just amazing. It was a great experience really enjoyed it. Everything was First Class all the way.

Treat yourself just once to this experience , and you wont forget it.

Date of experience: September 2015

Reviewed 7 April 2015

Although the page is titled “the Porch”, there is no separate review page for the other class of theaters at Central Beach Pattaya (and other related cinemas). My review will feature the “FIRST CLASS CINEMA”. The airplanes have “economy”, “business” and “first class” – so why shouldn’t the movie theater!

We decided to see Fast and Furious 7 as soon as it was released here in Thailand. We haven’t been to the movies in almost a year, so I decided to try and make this a special event and book a seat in the VIP theater.

The Porch is not rated well here on TA. Too much outside light, and too much noise from the Bowling Alley next door, as well as uncomfortable air temperature negatively affected the movie experience according to the reviews. The price was 600b ($18.50USD) per person. I decided the reviews were enough to keep me from booking at the Porch.

Then I remembered that there was another theater – the “FIRST CLASS” theater. In researching I found that each ticket provides entrance into the exclusive lounge up to one hour before, for unlimited munchies and soft drinks. In the theater itself, you have an individual chair, or a dual controlled 2-person couch, that (electrically) reclines almost flat. A light blanket is also provided because Thai theaters are usually quite chilly. Free unlimited popcorn (sweet or salty) and soft drinks are also delivered to your seat, and refilled as you wish through the movie. The price for this was 700b ($21.65USD) per person.

We chose the first class cinema and enjoyed the movie. We reclined our chairs/couch and got completely comfortable. The movie was loud (almost too loud for me) but the volume is used to drown out any possible ambient noise like cell phones or talking (of which I didn’t notice any!).

Great experience – two people $43.00USD; includes almost fully reclining lounge chairs, a blanket, unlimited popcorn and soft drinks in the movie, and comfortable seating in the lounge waiting for the movie to start. I enjoyed the fresh cut fruit to snack on.

CONS:
Table on one side only – make sure whichever one of you likes to sip his drink the most sites on the side of the table!

Didn’t know about call button. We needed refills but didn’t know that each chair has a call button to contact the attendant. We tried to wave our hands in the air and didn’t get much luck.

Lack of attendants. There were 6 of 7 staff (too many) in the lounge before the movie. When we went to the theater, the lounge was empty, yet only ONE staff member (not enough) was working to provide drinks and popcorn to all the attendees. Where did the other 5 or 6 staff go and why didn’t management make them do their job and help to serve their guests?

TIPS:
Don’t get comfortable until after standing for king. Fully reclining, covering up with the blanket, etc., then you realize you have to get out of the chair to stand!

I think we spend about $25USD when we go to the movies in the US, with popcorn and drinks. So an additional $18 to have no one near you, no one bumping your seat, no one talking within a foot of you, no one in front of you where you can’t cross your legs, no giant sitting in front of you blocking your view …. Plus a fully reclining seat and blanket …. Absolutely worth the extra money.

First Class Cinema – you have a new repeat customer!

(an excellent review of all Thailand's premium cinemas is here http://www.bangkokpost.com/print/490728/)

Date of experience: April 2015
2  Thank Joe M
Reviewed 6 April 2015 via mobile

To watch the Fast & Furious 7 we (a couple) decided to go to "The Porch" which has huge beds where you can really relax while watching the movie. It was our 1st time there so we didn't know what's going on. When we paid for it (1200 THB per couple) the guy showed us a price list with snacks and drinks and asked us what we like to drink. We thought that he wanted us to buy something but as we just had our dinner a few minutes ago we weren't thirsty at this moment. So I told him that we will get snacks and drinks later. At this moment we also didn't know that popcorn and drinks are inclusive, but he didn't tell us. In the cinema we recognised that it's an OPEN AIR cinema which means, it was hot there, even they had some aircon running. After 1 hour we were thirsty and tried to get something to drink but I didn't find any staff there. They just disappeared and came back a few minutes before the film was finished. Very disappointing. :-(

Reviewed 5 April 2015

I only used the Porch once to see a film. I treated a local Thai Girl to a treat, You are treated like VIP guests, but there is a premium price approx 700 baht per each. A one off. You watch the movie from your own Circular comfy bed, which is just amazing. It can be a little noisy as you can hear outside activities which is not good.

BUT treat yourself just once to this experience , and you wont forget it

DONE