“Mata Hari 2°visit”

Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 30 March 2017

Great experience to visit the Mata Hari after a long time. Restaurant whit a good choice in the menu , but let's talk about the taste. SUPER.....Perfect French cuisine, together whit a very good service, beautiful surrounding, It's a place visiting worth.

Reviewed 5 February 2017

We first visited more than a decade ago, and we were very impressed. Sadly, and for a variety of reasons we learned during our visit, this former star has lost its shine. The venue and people still top-shelf. The wine list is tired. The food is unworthy of mention. The vibe is non-existent. We hate writing this review because once upon a time, we absolutely adored Mata Hari. We now think it is time to retire...

1  Thank gastronaughties2018
Reviewed 21 January 2017

Mata Hari is one of the oldest high class restaurants in Pattaya, and arguably still the best. We do not go here very often, only on special occasions, but it is always a treat and a pleasure. Nice setting, interesting and varied menu, most welcoming and experienced staff, and last but not least: the best European food you can get in Pattaya. Prices are rather high according to Thai standards, but EU and US tourists will find it incredibly cheap for the quality experience offered. All in all good value for money and highly recommended.

Reviewed 17 January 2017

Small but cozy restraunt, food is good, try the lamb or steak.
Pasta dishes are ok and like the salad or pati entries. Very good service and staff.

Reviewed 19 December 2016 via mobile

The very first Pattaya restaurant I dined at when I relocated to Pattaya 16 years ago was Mata Hari.
It was then located on second road. Reservations were essential because it was very small, resembling a train carriage, but enormously popular.
Soon after this outing I met Simon Napier-Bell best known then for co-writing Dusty Springfield's classic hit "You don't have to say you love me".
We soon became good mates and I quickly discovered Simon was in fact an intricate part of Britain's Rock and Roll history, managing many highly successful pop groups and singers. (Google his name if you are interested). He has written three books, one a best seller "Black vital white powder" a revealing insight of the music industry.
Great yarns (stories) are inevitably embellished with time, but it was Simon who told me the following yarn about Louis.
Long before his venture into restaurants Louis was part of group playing for a living at an English country pub. One night a pub customer, impressed by Louis group, approached them during a break. "I'm getting married tomorrow and I need a group to play at the wedding reception. That BLOKE was in fact Mick Jagger.
Six days ago, as part of a long overdue holiday I arrived back in Pattaya after an absence of six years. I was on a type of Bucket List adventure to revisit the Pattaya restaurants I frequented during the ten years I was an expatriate.
It only hit me today that I was leaving tomorrow and had not visited Mata Hari. Knowing the restaurant is close Monday's I decided to call in anyway.
I was bit disturbed to find the tables and chairs were all stack up
outside the entrance. On closer examination one table remained in the far corner. Sitting at the table was Louis. It only took him a few seconds (he's 73 remember) to recognise me and big hugs plus a few beers followed.
Louis confirmed the restaurant was closed today and as is their routine the floors were being scrubbed and the premises cleaned. Of course his loverly wife was supervising while Louis and I reminisced about the 'good old days' and all the
MARVELOUS memories.
So I wont be offering a restaurant critique on this occasion but I can reveal I interrupted Louis and his wife while they were in the middle of making some changes to the menu. Maybe one of our contributors will oblique with a critique of the new additions, food and service, which I always found hard to fault.
And one final story about Louis. This night a table close to mine was occupied by parents and three unruly and very noisy children.
I told my waiter I wanted to speak to Louis immediately to complain.
As Louis approached it was obvious he was stressed. "Louis, if I wanted to dine at a family restaurant, I would have gone to McDonalds."
"Good", he answered abruptly, "I will order you a f#####g taxi."
Thanks so much for the great food and especially GREAT memories dear mate.
Rob