“Japanese fine dining”

Namu - W Koh Samui
Ranked #88 of 1,501 Restaurants in Ko Samui
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Adding cutting-edge design, a global lifestyle with modern luxuries to Thailand, the hip W Retreat Koh Samui also offers the ultimate culinary indulgence with its signature restaurant, Namu. Taking its name from the Korean word for wood, Namu combines the basic life elements to create a new culinary world that embodies Asia Tomorrow. Stylish individual elements underline the minimal clean lines of the decor that sets the scene for inventive Japanese cuisine. Step through the dramatic entrance surrounded by an enchanting water feature inside, subdued lighting suffuses the dining area with a intimate vibe. A dramatic textured ceiling spirals downwards, flanked by green glass rods, representing bamboo. Diners can opt to sit outside on the beachside terrace, at one of the six tables indoors, or at the best seats in the house - along the counter of the open kitchen for a firsthand glimpse of the action. The innovative menu at Namu offers a diversity of dining experiences, re-interpreting influences from around Asia and especially Japan, while retaining intrinsic flavor profiles. In keeping with the traditional Asian concept of dining, a shared table concept that celebrates the compatible textures and flavors is encouraged. Cutting-edge and daring, Namu is a sensual dining experience that constantly re-invents itself, while showcasing the Asia of tomorrow.
Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

I was a rainy afternoon/evening so we practically had the place to ourselves. Enjoyed some cocktails at Woo Bar first (great views but the DJ was a little intense and clubby for a quiet afternoon!), then they drove us down to the restaurant in a little golf buggy.

Had the sashimi and soft shell crab for entree (the winner). Then teriyaki salmon with wasabi mash potato and veg for me and my partner had the lamb. Both delicious. Finished up with complimentary Japanese brown tea.

Staff were lovely and call you by your first names all evening which is a nice touch.

It’s expensive by Thai standards but it is fine dining. And compared to Sydney for a fine dining experience, pretty reasonable. Entrees, dinner and wine was roughly $110AUD each.

1  Thank Jennifer P

Reviewed 4 July 2018 via mobile

If you don't mind eating good quality sushi for a slight expanse, i will higly recomend this beautiful restaurant, with its smiling waiters, and happy staff!
While you sit in this chill lounge, you can see all that is going on in the kitchen, with the chefs
i know i will come back for sure

1  Thank That D
Reviewed 30 June 2018 via mobile

The staff were so lovely and came out to ask about dietary preferences... and I said that I was vegetarian. All was fine. Then we asked how to go about ordering because we were there on a package and were meant to get a four course dinner. The staff explained that it is a shared dining concept... which is great, but I don’t eat meat and my partner does. We were only allowed to pick one of each course though. So I ate all of the edamame beans, most of the veggie tempura, my partner had tempura prawn sushi and the teriyaki chicken main meal ( I ate some of the potato off the main) and then I ate the dessert. So we had to take turns eating things. It was all a bit strange. The food was delicious, the setting is ambient and romantic and I would definitely recommend. It was just odd that they asked for dietary requirements but then made no effort to accomodate them.

1  Thank astenomical
WKohSamuiGM, General Manager at Namu - W Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2018

Hi Astenomical,

Thank you for your review and candid feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not deliver the best food experience in Namu, we should have tailored your menu to your dietary preferences, especially since we asked for them. I hope that this has not overly mared your experience at W Koh Samui. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly at daniel.simon@whotels.com before your next visit and we will make sure it will be a great one.

Best

Prawn tempura
2 maki rolls
Vegetable fried rice
Pan seared sea bass

All the dishes were spectacular & price was very reasonable.

Staff were great as well

1  Thank Abdulla T
WKohSamuiGM, General Manager at Namu - W Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2018

Hello Abdulla T,

Thank you for sharing your amazing experience at Namu! I am thrilled you enjoyed your crispy & pan seared dishes and the care and service our team extended. If you are craving contemporary Japanese and our whatever/whenever vibes please let us know! We would love to welcome you back soon—visit anytime.

Best,

Daniel Simon

Reviewed 21 June 2018 via mobile

Nice place, the whole vibe in W is uplifting. Book a table ahead and enjoy a few hours at the seating area at the front of the hotel. Great view for sunset and then go to your reservation at the restaurant. Great food but at a price as you would expect. Highly recommend it!

1  Thank hamad879
WKohSamuiGM, General Manager at Namu - W Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2018

Hello hamad879,

Thank you for sharing your uplifting visit at W Koh Samui! I am thrilled you experienced the best of WOOBAR with its tropical sunsets and playful vibes before enjoying your evening meal with us. Your recommendation means a lot and we would love to welcome you back! The next time your travels bring you to our neighborhood do let us know—we’re ready when you are! Visit anytime.

Best,