“Wonderful”
Review of Conrad Koh Samui

Conrad Koh Samui
Ranked #22 of 316 Hotels in Ko Samui
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Wow what a place... Very nice indeed.

The room was fantastic, everything you could ask for a more.
The view was amazing. You could spend all day looking out to sea.

The resort is built on a cliff face so getting around the place is difficult by foot so you just call and they will send a golf buggy.

If I could have changed anything it would be the food, just average, very average. Except the prices which are far from average ! I, like many other people on here went to Green Ta'ley. Loved it.

Had a wonderful time at Conrad Samui and I sure anyone stay would.

The only

Booked in the Jahn restaurant, was greeted and shown our table. We were offered still or sparkling water. I went for still. The menus arrived along with the water. Whilst looking at the menu, which is limited (around 5 main courses) we decided that we would change restaurants. Which was no problem at all. BUT I was shocked that I was charged almost £7 for a bottle of still water.

We then arrived at the other restaurant (Zens I think its called), the same routine 'Sir would you like still or sparkling....'.

Maybe its me but I though £7 for a bottle of water was a little on the steep side. But still will give it a 5 start rating....

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LondonSki_Nut
There are newer reviews for Conrad Koh Samui

Reviewed 4 June 2012

We just returned from our honeymoon stay in Conrad Koh Samui.

We enjoyed our stay tremendously. Food was excellent and the service was impeccable. I give the staff full marks for making us feel so welcome and taking the effort to remember not just our names but our villa number.

The villa is quite the standard hotel room. It did however have a huge bathroom equivalent to the size of the sleeping area.

Each villa had its own private pool and a grand view of the Gulf of Thailand. And because the resort is so remotely located in the south western part of the island, the only passing traffic in front of our villa is the occasional boat coming out to this part of the island to see the sunset.

The sun sets on this part of the island. So you get a private view of the sun setting on the 5 islands from your pool. It was breathtaking.

Food we ordered room service menu was excellent. We also had dinner at the Jahn which was excellent and not so expensive for 2 persons with wine.

It is all wonderful.

However, the resort is very inaccessible to the outside town or even just within the resort, it is not quite possible to get to the main pool area or lobby on foot, unless you plan to brave the steep 45 degrees slope uphill or downhill.

To get to the lobby from your villa, you need to call for a buggy. If it is raining, be ready to be drenched.
Taxis and other service do charge a little more for pickup at the resort. But it definitely beats paying for Conrad's limousine service. Conrad limousine service is an exorbitant amount that you have to pay. But you do get a BMW X5 to ferry you about. If you aren't up for such luxury, there are cheaper taxi & guide services in Koh Samui which charge for much less. Mr Samui was one such service we used.

We didn't try the massage on the resort. Elements resort down the hill from Conrad charged much less. They have a taxi charge of 200 Baht to ferry you to and fro from Conrad. We had dinner there as well. Conrad definitely serves better food but you do pay a lot more at Conrad. A main course for 1 at Conrad can pay for a full meal with drinks for 2 at Elements.

Do try to get out of the resort. There are small shops out on the streets which serve really cheap and good Thai food.

Just to sum it up, be prepared to spend at the resort. But every dollar you spend is definitely a quality dollar spent.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank whatthe123
Reviewed 17 May 2012

We stayed at the conrad Koh Samui end of March for five nights in one of the 2 bedroom villa's. We arrived after dark and it took a while to find the resort in our rental car. Driving the last miles felt like we were driving through a Jurrasic park area, ... but once we arrive and saw the entrance we felt immediately we arrived in a truly luxury resort! The two bedroom villa was stunning, with 2 bathrooms, one shower with 2 rain showers, 2 bedrooms, and off course the stunning private pool. This resort is ideal if you want to stay here to relax. Personnel is really super friendly and helpful. The buggy system is very efficient, we never had to wait longer than 5 minutes for a buggy although the resort was fully booked one night... One night we had dinner at Jahn, and although the food was really good, not one wine was wine worthy... Later on we were told by one of the managers that a new sommelier was going to arrive in a few weeks. We really loved the resort and I would not hesitate to go back!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SenJAntwerpen
Reviewed 15 May 2012

I agree with all of the reviews that the hotel is stunning. The views are breathaking, the rooms are luxurious and beautifully designed. Many members of the staff worked hard to accomodate our requests and seemed genuinely concerned for our wellbeing at the hotel. When we arrived there were high quality cribs and baby care products available for use during our stay.

We traveled with our 2 young children and made plans to check-out of the hotel within 24 hours of our arrival. Although a beach is advertised, there is no swimming due to dangerous currents and the small strip of sand by the water was riddled with bugs and debris. The buggy system seems to work pretty well in that they come to pick you up promptly but the steep incline of the resort restricts any other form of walking, so loading a stroller on and off the golf cart is not ideal. I would question how it feels zipping around on the buggy in the rain. The buckles on the car seats provided in the car for our airport pick-up/drop-off didn't work.

However, I would assume that the majority of guests would be happy that this is not a hotel for kids given the tranquil nature of the property. Had we traveled without our kids I would have been disappointed by the lack of beach, difficulty walking and distance from other restaurants/nightlife.

Although the majority of my points are related to the difficulties encountered by us as a family, the main points that caused problems overall were a severe ant problem in our room and a dangerous floor in our living area. There were ants all over our toiletries, medicines and food items in the kitchen save those in the fridge or unopened. I understand the tropical nature of the resort and perhaps we had a bad experience but I would want to make sure it was less severe to feel comfortable staying. Both my husband and I fell badly in our room due to a slippery floor - - really badly. I thought my husband might have to go to the hospital for a concussion. The hotel is aware of this slipping problem and they need to address it.

The hotel was accomodating and did give us a refund as we departed 7 days early on a prepaid reservation.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
18  Thank DBZL_Shanghai
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Used Hilton Honors rewards for the stay.
First of all, this hotel is on the southwest side of the island, a good ride from the airport. Mini van taxis were offered at 1200 BHT. Chose a Hertz rental car for 1214 BHT per day to check out the island for 4 days. Second, the hotel is a good ride away from the main nightlife and day excursions on the island which is the northeast side.

The driveway up to the hotel which is on top of a mountain (steep hill) reminds me of the crazy luge runs seen on the winter olympics - hairpin turns, very steep inclines and not as wide of a road. One car can do it, two cars would be interesting. The hotel was very smart to have security at the base of the mountain and also at the top to check and control road traffic so two cars would not be on the road at any given time.

The view from the main building (check-in) is phenominal of the adjacent sea, the Five Islands and the hotel's villas.

I stayed in the 400 section villa which afforded incredible views, unsure if there is a bad view from any of the villas. Each villa has its own infinity pool, 10m (approx 30ft) and is the ideal spot to see amazing multi colored sunsets and also to "live in harmony and tranquility" during the day and early evening.

Staff is very friendly, in fact with only 66 rooms available, personalized attention is given. It seemed liked everyone knew my firstname no matter who I met, as soon as I mentioned my room number they immediately knew who I was. That is attention to detail and also "personalized care".

The main dining facility allowed for indoor and outdoor seating. If sitting indoors you still have great views of the sea and adjacent islands, sitting outdoors brought it that much closer and allowed to see the property layout of other villas, buildings and the hotel's infinity pool.

The hotel is in an ideal scenic area, I'm sure you'll take plenty of pictures and keep taking them daily. If there ever was an ideal location for quiet, solitude and away from "life" this hote'ls location and scenic views would make the list.

"Only" gave it 4 stars instead of 5 due to very minor touchups/fixes that need to be applied to the room I had. If I could have given 4.5 I would have. Also, basically there is no beach. But with your own private infinity pool and also the hotel's, this is a slight loss.

Room Tip: Rent a scooter or car to get around the island and also to dine at the local establishments. If your...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends